1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Mali Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I just noticed you can purchase districts. I wonder will you have to have Reyna in a city to do this? Or will the ability be unlocked from the start of the game?

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think you want the first pantheon as Mali and it will always be faith from desert adjacency :)

I suppose that if it would be an ability, it would be stated that you can, so I assume you still need Reyna.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  3. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

I was wrong! It's not Sweden! And that's a good thing, considering how FXS trolled us with Canada's hint.

I like this. More gold compensates for the lack of production, and gives you an incentive to settle on desert tiles.

Guandao likes this.
  4. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

This is a great civ design. I wish they'd go back and make more civs as thematic as Mali, Maori, and Inca.

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Good point, getting those initial defenders out will be tough. This will be a tough civ on deity. Should really shine on Prince, King, Emperor though.

6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

comicbookguy.gif

Guandao and Siptah like this.
  7. SelmanV

SelmanV Chieftain

Such a nice looking district actually.
    6c8cbdf1f6a9b01868d556fab8abcb3d3311f655.jpg
    Although I was expecting the Ottomans to get the Commercial Hub replacement in the form of the Grand Bazaar.
    I guess there could be 2 Commercial Hub replacements but I wonder what other options there are.

Other than that, the sheer amount of gold this guy gets makes this look like a really fun civ to play.
    Hopefully there will be some kind of economic victory condition like buying out the World Congress.

8. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

I think this is Godavari River in India.

Guandao and TahamiTsunami like this.
  9. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Mali Palace

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-08 um 16.22.43.jpg

10. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

Interesting. I am looking forward to try them out.
    Until then, I'll withhold my judgement about their real strength. The boni and mali themself are clear enough. How they will turn out in an actual game however ...

One of my first thoughts. A desert civ - and a very low probability to finish 'Petra' in time ...

TahamiTsunami and Siptah like this.
  11. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I really don't like the Civ bonus. Production is a massive pain to begin with due to scaling costs and Mali receive a penalty to it? wtf O__O. I mean, sure, you can faith buy and gold buy everything, but good luck getting those Holy Sites and Commercial Hubs up when you get zero (ZERO) production from pre-apprenticeship desert mines :crazyeye:. Not to mention you still need to build Campuses and Theatre Squares. Levelling up Raina will be top priority here.

Oh btw can I just mention that this this "ability" is even worse if you settle outside of desert you'll get massive production penalties with no counterplay. At least Canada is still generic outside of Tundra. What a horrific, terrible "bonus".

No complaints about the rest. I like the design. Gold from kills is nice, extra gold from international trade is okay (but no bonus to domestic routes which give production UGH dammit). The half-price commercial hub is amazing and the only reason why I'm not wrting them off as a Civ, but holy hell.

Guandao and Jewelrunna like this.
  12. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

Maybe because people have been complaining that all the new DLC and expansions civs are OP ? ;-)

13. Bechhold

Bechhold Chieftain

Were now in the middle weeks before release, time for the boring reveals etc.

14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

No district for the Ottomans. Two unique districts were announced, the Suquba is confirmed, the Cothon leaked through tooltips.

Kjimmet, bbbt, Guandao and 5 others like this.
  15. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Is that a unique graphic for the bank? I hope they do this for more district buildings, especially in the unique districts.

Guandao, Hawke9 and nzcamel like this.
  16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It said -30% production to buildings and units. Presumably this does not include districts and wonders.

17. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

Sure. But the base production is lowered due to the special mines as well.

Our_DeCay, bbbt, VermelhoRed and 2 others like this.
  18. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

ok if that's the case, then it's actually a good trait, instead of a very average one...

I know I said i don't like this Civ, but... hey, I like the fact that's it's NOT too OP, and will force me to play differently... I'm a VERY production and science oriented player... If I want ti play this civ, I will have to change my usual patterns... guess that's good in the end ;-)

19. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

Unique commercial district is powerful on itself, because of the cost discount unique districts have. Even with the production penalty, Mali can get a commercial district sooner, buy a market with faith, then buy a cheaper trade route and establish trade routes faster than any Civ. they also get more trade routes form golden ages. That by itself already make up for the production penalty imo.

I really like it since it encourage to try a different playstyle, with less focus on production. It will struggle to build wonders though...

Our_DeCay, CPWimmer and j51 like this.
  20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

And I'm assuming projects as well. Meaning projects are normal cost. Otherwise spaceship parts would be brutal. As for space victory you will be going royal society and buying builders for sure.

Of course the mines hit will hurt getting districts up with production. Will definitely encourage keeping quarries on hills rather than harvest and mine them.