[GS] Mali Discussion Thread

IS it one of the game-changing civ devs were talking to, à la Maori unable to train GW and beginning on water ?

Seems so. You work on desert, tiles that nobody want, and still manage to have some use to it. You produce nothing (except wonders), so it means you have to buy everything. You will want to enter golden Ages as soon as possible. Mines are WONDERFUL ! Seems like some sort of Nubia++ IMO.

Seems like another civ that is quite different from the "norm". Not as extremely as starting in the water, but this seems like a low production civ that relies on lots of money and the ability to buy everything. I think I like it.

Mali Civ icon:

Mali icon.png

Sankore University?

It's either Sankore or Mosque of Djenne. Could be Sankore given it being placed at Education.

I knew they were hiding something ;) (didn't make sense for Education to only unlock University)

A very exciting twist to me. However as gold and faith economies are already strong, I think this might be over the top.
Settling inside desert will not be a problem, and paradoxically, cities will grow much faster there at start (plus you can send a traders from there, as you will have many).
The mentioned downside -30% will however force them into economical beasts and I am not sure how AI deals with it.
I like how black he is, unlike the civ4 Arabic/Berberic interpretation.

I'm not a fan of desert tiles getting less production, it'd really hit you if you settler a city which is all desert. Though I suppose if your city is part desert it's not too bad.

From what I gather it's all mines, not just desert mines, that get les production.

Extremely gold-heavy civ, but gold can be the most flexible yield. They'll be reminiscent of Venice in Civ V, extra trade routes and trade route bonuses, with you buying your way to almost anything (instead of building).

The real damage will be wonders, you won't be able to buy those.

Well.... THAT's different... honestly not sure I like it... Fun to help out with desert tiles, but lower production ??? and reduced production when constructing building or training units ? What else is left exactly ? wonders ? are wonders considered buildings ?

Anyways... yes you'll be rich... but if people consider THIS OP, I wonder how they consdier 80% or the other civs...

Not very sure I,m a fan of the 2nd part of Sahel Merchant either. Fun when you're in a golden age, but when you fall back to normal age, you just have traders sleeping because you have more of them than operating slots ? not very efficient imho

Last edited:
Musa looks pretty good! Although I wish they'd drop the "Mansa" from his in-game name, as it's a title equivalent to "king" or "sultan".

An interesting spin on his abilities too. I hope the production drop is made up for by the purchasing ability. The music was always going to be good, given the rich musical output of Mali that continues to this day (I hope for some desert blues in the Atomic theme!).

Also glad to see the Sankoré Madrasah back as a wonder.

Top Bottom