MAP development

As far as the cities on the map. We have to come to a consensus on how the cities are going to be built in terms of what type of city it is. Meaning what buildings are we actually going to have in the cities themselves.

I propose to have 3 different city types (so that it becomes easier to simply go thru the 400-500+ cities quickly to get the map done).

#1 - Undeveloped city (this will include a forge, and other basic buildings).

#2 - Developing Industrialized city (forge, factory, power plant and other basic buildings).

#3 - Fully developed Industrialized/Modern city (all of the above plus a hospital, recycling center, etc.)

Then all the wonders will be placed as needed as well as palaces, etc.

I think this will be best, fastest, and easiest to get the map fully completed. With that, though, what should be the buildings in a standard #1, #2, and #3 city from above? Come up with a list I can implement quickest.

As far as the cities on the map. We have to come to a consensus on how the cities are going to be built in terms of what type of city it is. Meaning what buildings are we actually going to have in the cities themselves.

I propose to have 3 different city types (so that it becomes easier to simply go thru the 400-500+ cities quickly to get the map done).

#1 - Undeveloped city (this will include a forge, and other basic buildings).

#2 - Developing Industrialized city (forge, factory, power plant and other basic buildings).

#3 - Fully developed Industrialized/Modern city (all of the above plus a hospital, recycling center, etc.)

Then all the wonders will be placed as needed as well as palaces, etc.

I think this will be best, fastest, and easiest to get the map fully completed. With that, though, what should be the buildings in a standard #1, #2, and #3 city from above? Come up with a list I can implement quickest.

Ok so:

1) Undeveloped city:

Barracks (only if one of civilization's larger cities)

Colosseum (if small population)

Forge

Granary

Library

Lighthouse (if applicable)

Temple (if religious)

Theatre

2) Developing Industrialised City:

As above, plus:

Aqueduct

Bank

Barracks (always, unless a particularly pacifist nation)

Colosseum (always)

Courthouse

Factory

Harbour (if applicable)

Jail

University

3) Fully Developed Industriaised City:

As above, plus:

Airport

Cathedral (or equivalent)

Customs House (if applicable)

Drydock (if applicable and use some discretion)

Grocer

Hospital

Hydro plant (or other, use discretion dependent on civ... e.g. France= Nuclear)

Market

Observatory

Public Transportation

Supermarket

*These to be used as a base guideline. Dependent on civ and city size, some changes are fair. E.g some massive cities such as London, Paris, New York, Neijing, Tokyo will have more buildings still, and i expect that some cities will fall between the descriptions esp in not wanting to have ALL the +commerce buildings which are granted in stage 3 cities.*

Ps have you thought about or done any work re promotions? These will be possible the most important thing in differentiating forces strength for smaller forces. e.g. UK needs to be highly promoted as 2nd highest military spending behind US and highly professional forces, but less than 200,000 troops!

Yeah. I've thought about all the promotions.

From now on...to stay organized...everyone (including myself): Lets keep each thread to its own topic. So this will only be Map work for cities, etc.

(will edit this post soon with a building list)...

Building List from Civilization

Spoiler :
PALACE
GREAT_PALACE
VERSAILLES
WALLS
CELTIC_DUN
CASTLE
SPANISH_CITADEL
BARRACKS
ZULU_IKHANDA
STABLE
MONGOL_GER
BUNKER
BOMB_SHELTER
GRANARY
INCAN_TERRACE
AQUEDUCT
OTTOMAN_HAMMAM
KHMER_BARAY
HOSPITAL
RECYCLING_CENTER
LIGHTHOUSE
VIKING_TRADING_POST
HARBOR
CARTHAGE_COTHON
CUSTOM_HOUSE
PORTUGAL_FEITORIA
DRYDOCK
AIRPORT
FORGE
MALI_MINT
FACTORY
GERMAN_ASSEMBLY_PLANT
COAL_PLANT
JAPANESE_SHALE_PLANT
HYDRO_PLANT
NUCLEAR_PLANT
INDUSTRIAL_PARK
OBELISK
EGYPTIAN_OBELISK
BETHIOPIAN_STELE
NATIVE_AMERICA_TOTEM
PUBLIC_TRANSPORTATION
ACADEMY
LIBRARY
ARABIAN_MADRASSA
UNIVERSITY
KOREAN_SEOWON
OBSERVATORY
FRENCH_SALON
LABORATORY
RUSSIAN_RESEARCH_INSTITUTE
THEATRE
CHINESE_PAVILLION
COLOSSEUM
GREEK_ODEON
MAYA_BALL_COURT
BABYLON_GARDEN
BROADCAST_TOWER
MARKET
ROMAN_FORUM
GROCER
PERSIAN_APOTHECARY
BANK
ENGLISH_STOCK_EXCHANGE
SUPERMARKET
AMERICAN_MALL
COURTHOUSE
SUMERIAN_ZIGGURAT
JAIL
INDIAN_MAUSOLEUM
LEVEE
NETHERLANDS_DIKE

INTELLIGENCE_AGENCY
NATIONAL_SECURITY

JEWISH/CHRISTIAN/ISLAMIC/HINDU/BUDDHIST/CONFUCIAN/TAOIST
TEMPLE, CATHEDRAL, MONASTERY, SHRINE

HEROIC_EPIC
NATIONAL_EPIC
GLOBE_THEATRE
NATIONAL_PARK
HERMITAGE
OXFORD_UNIVERSITY
WALL_STREET
IRON_WORKS
WEST_POINT
MT_RUSHMORE
RED_CROSS
SCOTLAND_YARD

PYRAMID
STONEHENGE
GREAT_LIBRARY
GREAT_LIGHTHOUSE
HANGING_GARDEN
COLOSSUS
ORACLE
PARTHENON
ANGKOR_WAT
HAGIA_SOPHIA
CHICHEN_ITZA
SISTINE_CHAPEL
SPIRAL_MINARET
NOTRE_DAME
TAJ_MAHAL
KREMLIN
EIFFEL_TOWER
STATUE_OF_LIBERTY
BROADWAY
ROCKNROLL
HOLLYWOOD
GREAT_DAM
PENTAGON
UNITED_NATIONS
SPACE_ELEVATOR
MILITARY_ACADEMY
ARTEMIS
SANKORE
GREAT_WALL
STATUE_OF_ZEUS
MAUSOLEUM_OF_MAUSSOLLOS
CRISTO_REDENTOR

Some of these buildings are obsolete and shouldn't be in the game:
Monastery
Walls
Stable
Ger
Dun
Obelisk

So, in an attempt to break down civilizations into 3 city types:

Undeveloped
Industrialized
Modern Industrialized

Underdeveloped:
Spoiler :
BARRACKS
GRANARY
AQUEDUCT (except in Africa)
LIGHTHOUSE (coastal)
HARBOR (coastal)
AIRPORT (almost every city represented on the map has some type of airport)
FORGE
RELIGIOUS TEMPLE

Industrialized:
Underdeveloped+
Spoiler :

BUNKER
BOMB_SHELTER
CASTLE (where needed throughout Europe for the Trade Route bonus)
HOSPITAL
DRYDOCK (coastal)
AIRPORT
FACTORY
COAL_PLANT
LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY
OBSERVATORY
THEATRE
COLOSSEUM
BROADCAST_TOWER
MARKET
GROCER
BANK
COURTHOUSE
JAIL
LEVEE (coastal)
NATIONAL_SECURITY
Religious Cathedral (if used)

Modern Industrialized:
Underdeveloped + Industrialed +
Spoiler :
RECYCLING_CENTER
CUSTOM_HOUSE (coastal)
HYDRO_PLANT (where applicable)
NUCLEAR_PLANT (where applicable)
INDUSTRIAL_PARK (yes/no?)
PUBLIC_TRANSPORTATION
ACADEMY
LABORATORY
SUPERMARKET
INTELLIGENCE_AGENCY

Any thoughts or suggestions? If not, the cities of the world will be arranged by these 3 city-types.

Well it seems fine except the lists are so generous that if in charge of a developed civ like US, Canada or Western Europe you're going to have nothing to build but units. I would encourage that the full list isn't used that often. But good work.

if in charge of a developed civ like US, Canada or Western Europe you're going to have nothing to build but units

I don't know that any of the cities that are in US, Canaday, Western Europe have anything at all to to (Civ-wise) but to build units. The only way they'll have something else to do is if we come up with an entire new group of wonders to be building, etc.

If we don't do that then the mod is going to be what its going to be. Pretty much a race for space, or trying to conquer the world with various civs (or preventing the world from being conquered). Otherwise...I'm not sure what else the mod is going to be.

We definately should add in some new wonders that have some place in modern day technology, culture, and military power.

I don't know that any of the cities that are in US, Canaday, Western Europe have anything at all to to (Civ-wise) but to build units. The only way they'll have something else to do is if we come up with an entire new group of wonders to be building, etc.

If we don't do that then the mod is going to be what its going to be. Pretty much a race for space, or trying to conquer the world with various civs (or preventing the world from being conquered). Otherwise...I'm not sure what else the mod is going to be.

Yeah ok. We can always make incremental changes down the line. I guess just don't be too liberal with awarding level 3 city status to all Western and rich civs that's all I'm saying. In reality, apart from the likes of New York, LA, London, Paris, Tokyo etc (ie the developed mega cities) most big developed cities probably don't have ALL these improvements. As i said though, this is something that we can form more of an opinion on post release- for now let's go with your list.

Hmm... I thought we were going to implement the Master Victory condition by Sevo. That way the players won't have to worry about trying to win a specific victory but concentrate more on trying to actually have fun messing with the real world, in their own, devious ways :mwaha:

I thought we were going to implement the Master Victory condition by Sevo

Find someone to take it from the current version (for Warlords only), and mod it to seamlessly go into BTS 3.19 and RevDCM, and that will be done. Until someone does that, though, there is no Mastery Victory Conditions (for anyone, at any level of BTS).

Find someone to take it from the current version (for Warlords only), and mod it to seamlessly go into BTS 3.19 and RevDCM, and that will be done. Until someone does that, though, there is no Mastery Victory Conditions (for anyone, at any level of BTS).

Quote Capita mod (by avain) has the Master Victory condition in it (and it works for BTS 3.19), I guess you can PM him (or post in his thread) about getting the files for that. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to share it.

Sorry for the double post, but I just read Mattygerst's comment in the Current Status thread, (about the city placement of cities which aren't in the 1940 scenario, such as Tel Aviv), and I think if you wanted to be able to fit Israel and Palestine in, you could try Kai's city placement (which I think was pure genius on his map), here is a pic and the post with other screenshots of his map.

Spoiler :

Yeah ok. We can always make incremental changes down the line. I guess just don't be too liberal with awarding level 3 city status to all Western and rich civs that's all I'm saying. In reality, apart from the likes of New York, LA, London, Paris, Tokyo etc (ie the developed mega cities) most big developed cities probably don't have ALL these improvements. As i said though, this is something that we can form more of an opinion on post release- for now let's go with your list.

Concerning realism there's actually not much wrong about not having much room for new improvements in developed cities with vanilla civs tech tree and buildings. After all all the developed economies in the world have been growing only marginally in the past let's say 15 years. At least compared to developing economies.
I'm dreaming of a feature that implements economic cycles, growth rates and unemployment into our mod. But that's another story that I'll keep to myself until we are way further down the road... :p

Fair enough. I personally favour the corporations route at this early stage for those same reasons. Having said that, I wouldn't be too worried about cities springing up in the desert etc:

a) Big cities do just spring up in deserts now. I'm no expert, but Dubai, Cancun...

b) The nature of the map means that with turns slow it is pretty unlikely such cities are going to often get to that position.

c) In terms of new cities, you can just make settlers very expensive.

Anyway, yes i agree let's see once you've got the map done.

I have better ideas for all of this, and I mentioned it in Kai's thread.

First, remember that we have changed religions to cultural types. So for cities like New York, Los Angeles, and London, we could solve the problem by adding new "ghetto" buildings for each foreign culture that immigrated to that city. These would have both positive and negative effects: They'd increase the food (closest you can get to a building increasing population), increase production (due to cheap labor) and culture, but they'd also increase pollution, city upkeep, and (if we're going to include it, which I want to) the crime rate. For port cities, additional food could be obtained through another sort of building with a lighthouse style effect, or my own idea, a Cannery building, which gives additional food from access to fish, crabs, and clams.

For cities that "sprung up in the desert" thanks to economic importance, such as Cancun, Dubai, and Las Vegas, the obvious solution there is to use the Worldbuilder to add Great Merchants to the cities, increasing both money and food.

are we going to change the effect of the recycling center?

I suggested doing that, actually, because its current bonus makes it too unrealistically easy to negate the effects of pollution. My proposed revision is to have it give a fixed amount of health rather than removing all pollution from buildings, and in addition, it would grant extra production per resource consumed.

LA has public transportation? Sorry; I really don't think so. What really strikes me about this list is it's too simple. You may say that it's better for the initial release to give a city buildings it doesn't really have than not give it enough buildings it really does, but I disagree. As was said, it would be boring if all you could build were units, especially since the modern world situation doesn't involve large-scale wars. A number of things need to be addressed, such as this:

America is behind much of the rest of the developed world in terms of public (by which I mean, "railed") transportation. It also no longer has many factories in its own borders; most of America's industrial sector has been outsourced. I'm not sure how we are to handle outsourcing in the mod; my extensive use of civics that modify corporate upkeep could help, as could China's UB, but much still needs to be done. However, America's specialized post-modern economy should make up for the lack of traditional industry; they have the Mall UB (although I personally think we should change that, make it a standard building, and give America a new unique building), Broadway, Rock and Roll, and Hollywood, so it probably evens out.

For that matter, maybe we could simulate the world economy just by adding new buildings. We could add a "Goods Factory" building like in The Road to War, which provides a certain number of naturally, tangible goods, start the game with such factories placed in countries like Mexico, India, and China, and have America be trading musicals, singles, and movies to those countries in exchange for tangible goods. In that case, China's UB would be a replacement for the new Goods Factory Building rather than the standard sort of factory, and America could still have standard factories in some cities like Detroit. Oh wait--maybe not! X) America also shouldn't use as many coal plants as China, or as many nuclear plants as Russia, though how they produce power instead is an issue. At any rate, however, I think one thing we can all agree upon is that we need to add a lot of new buildings, to keep it both realistic and interesting.

Now here's something different: What cities have what wonders, some of them obvious, but here it goes anyway. I don't know everything, so please help for where I left off.

New York: Broadway, the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, National Park, United Nations.
Washington: Whitehouse (a graphic exists, so let's add the wonder, as a flavored palace if nothing else), Capitol (I'm pretty sure a graphic exists, though I'm not sure where), Hermitage, Pentagon, Scotland Yard.
St. Louis (Is it in the game?): The Arc.
Las Vegas (Is it in the game?): The Strip, National Dam (My personal opinion is that the Three Gorges Dam should be changed into a National Wonder).
Los Angeles: Hollywood. (This city can also have factories, unlike much of America)
American Cities I don't know: West Point, Oxford University
Not Sure Where it should go in America: Rock & Roll
Honolulu: Heroic Epic, Moai Statues.
Milwaukee (Is it in the game?): Brewery National Wonder. (Come on, we should put it in!)
Beijing: Forbidden Palace, National Park(?).
Hong Kong: Moai Statues, Wall Street.
Tsingtao: Brewery National Wonder.
Paris: Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Versailles, Hermitage, National Epic. (The last may be tricky since it's part of the EU, but the default graphic is the Arc D'Triumph.)
Berlin: Brandenberger Tor, Reichstag. (Graphics for both exist, and have been used in many mods.)
Munich: Neunschwanstein (graphic exists), Brewery National Wonder. (Though again, the EU is tricky with regard to National Wonders; Ireland, the Czech Republic, and the Netherlands also are big on beer.)
Amsterdam: Moai Statues.
London: Globe Theatre, Stonehenge, Big Ben (graphic exists), Parliament (I think the graphic exists somewhere), Scotland Yard.
Moscow: Kremlin, Scotland Yard.
St. Petersburg: Forbidden Palace, Hermitage.
Rome: Apostolic Palace, Circus Maximus (graphic exists), Sistine Chappel.
Athens: The Parthenon.
Cairo: The Pyramids (Maybe we should change their effects for this mod), Hermitage.
Alexandria: The Great Library.
Mecca: The Majjid Al Harram (We removed the religions, but let's still keep their buildings.)
Dubai: The Burj Al Arab (graphic exists), Wall Street.
Tokyo: Wall Street, Forbidden Palace.
Whatever City Switzerland gets: Wall Street, Red Cross.
Baghdad: Spiral Minaret(?).
Angkor Wat: Pretty obvious, right? And I'm pretty sure this city is included, since it's even in the normal-sized Earth map.
Timbukktu: Sankore.

I also think it would be cool to be able to rebuild destroyed wonders, by adding specific "ruins" buildings to the right cities, and making them the prerequisites for those wonders that no longer exist.

what about the Universal Healthcare (national wonder), Central Bank (National Wonder), Highway System (National Wonder), Wifi (National Wonder) and Bethlehem (World Wonder) that we have already made.

and (if we're going to include it, which I want to) the crime rate

Do you have a clue how to implement this without the massive SDK changes? Because if not, it can't be included. I know I keep saying this...but the fact is...we had a lot of people coming up with all these great ideas and this and that and we all jumped the gun and then grew ideas on top of ideas and no one was saying, "stop, we can't do that because no one knows how." Well, that is what I'm doing now. Until someone can do that, its not even worth thinking about.

Las Vegas (Is it in the game?)
Los Angeles: Hollywood.
American Cities I don't know: West Point, Oxford University
Not Sure Where it should go in America: Rock & Roll

Las Vegas will be in the game.
West Point is in New York
Oxford University is definitely not American...it is located in England
Rock & Roll goes in Memphis...since that is where Elvis Presley is from

Other wonders look good, but we'll have to add them.

Right now, I'm waiting on Leaderhead still-photo art & flags before anything else gets done.

Top Bottom