Map Finder Help

Is this legal in HOF games, given your playing with knowledge of the map your using?
Since Map Finder is a feature of the HOF Mod, I think you can assume that it is legal. :mischief:

Seriously, the only information you get on a map is what you can see when you generate the map. (i.e. only visible tiles) All Map Finder does is take the tedium out of generating a lot of starts looking a good starting position. It levels the playing field for those that don't have a lot of time to do that.

Since Map Finder is a feature of the HOF Mod, I think you can assume that it is legal. :mischief:

Seriously, the only information you get on a map is what you can see when you generate the map. (i.e. only visible tiles) All Map Finder does is take the tedium out of generating a lot of starts looking a good starting position. It levels the playing field for those that don't have a lot of time to do that.

Or you could say it tilts the playing field against those who don't know what a good start should have in it. :eek:

Are you running in full screen mode? Someone had a problem with windowed mode and screenshots at one point. I think the power options was the fix there but you never know you might have found a new one.

I believe that the screenshots are taken by a freeware code/app that Dianthus added to the DLL. I will have to see if there is an updated version that has support for Vista.

Hello,

I have the same problem with Mapfinder on Vistas. The Screenshot comes from the Desktop. Game is running in full screen mode. Is there a solution now for this problem?

I'm trying to understand how the rulebilder works, does this mean that I have to restart Civ every time i want to test a new rule?

If so, it could be a good idea to add a notice about this in the FAQ :)

I have tried to use Alt-X, change rule and then Alt-m and it doesn't works so I will now try to restart Civ after changing rules.

Yes. Civ 4 has to be restarted after a change in rules.

Hello,

I have the same problem with Mapfinder on Vistas. The Screenshot comes from the Desktop. Game is running in full screen mode. Is there a solution now for this problem?
There may have been something but I don't remember what it was maybe someone with the isssue can post about it.

I believe that running civ4 in windowed mode is a workaround.

There may have been something but I don't remember what it was maybe someone with the isssue can post about it.

I believe that running civ4 in windowed mode is a workaround.

Installing XP worked for me. It is a wonderful workaround for most of the problems caused by vista.

Map finder will only find resources that are visible at the start of the game. In an ancient start, the only mining resources that are available are gold, silver, and gems. In later era starts, additional resources (copper, iron, etc.) will be visible based on the techs of that starting era.

While I was running mapfinder, it suddenly displayed a "you have been defeated" and then shut down. Why would this happen?

While I was running mapfinder, it suddenly displayed a "you have been defeated" and then shut down. Why would this happen?
I guess it was a REALLY bad position. :mischief:

Seriously, I wouldn't have thought that was possible. There is no code to shutdown Civ4 in the HOF Mod. Even when you lose a game you still have to exit the game manually. If I had to guess, you must have run into an error handling routine in the exe somewhere.

I guess it was a REALLY bad position. :mischief:

Seriously, I wouldn't have thought that was possible. There is no code to shutdown Civ4 in the HOF Mod. Even when you lose a game you still have to exit the game manually. If I had to guess, you must have run into an error handling routine in the exe somewhere.

It didn't shut down Civ IV, but did force me to exit to the main menu. It did this once after generating 100 or so maps and then again after only 37?! Of course, it also went all the way to 1000 too. Wierd.

It didn't shut down Civ IV, but did force me to exit to the main menu. It did this once after generating 100 or so maps and then again after only 37?! Of course, it also went all the way to 1000 too. Wierd.
Well if it had said unable to regenerate or something like that then that would make sense. Sometimes two civs will be set up sight of each other. Civ4 doesn't clear the contact info properly when you regenerate. The HOF Mod doesn't allow you to continue to regenerate when that happens.

Ah....Thanks! Just damn bad luck.

On the plus side, I can now run Map finder completely in Linux!!!

I just ran mapfinder overnight (got 85 saves to look at!). So, did the usual think of taking a peek at the jpgs via file explorer. The first 6 show the save as expected but saves 7 to 85 are identical pictures as #6. The file size is the same, the pic is the same. It looks like the image got stuck somehow.

BTW: running vista. I've used MF in the past and never had this problem.

I just ran mapfinder overnight (got 85 saves to look at!). So, did the usual think of taking a peek at the jpgs via file explorer. The first 6 show the save as expected but saves 7 to 85 are identical pictures as #6. The file size is the same, the pic is the same. It looks like the image got stuck somehow.

BTW: running vista. I've used MF in the past and never had this problem.
Nevermind. :blush:

oh well - no problem. I think the save games are different so I will just have to check each manually.

Thanks Denniz.

Well if it had said unable to regenerate or something like that then that would make sense. Sometimes two civs will be set up sight of each other. Civ4 doesn't clear the contact info properly when you regenerate. The HOF Mod doesn't allow you to continue to regenerate when that happens.

That's a bugger. No way around it but restarting the regen then? It happened on me three times in a row already and all times at less than 100 regens

Top Bottom