1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Finder Help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Mesix, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I recently installed Civ IV and HOF on my family desktop computer. I get this message when trying to run Map Finder.
    Code:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).  Click OK to terminate the application.

2. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Have you installed .NET 2.0 or greater?

3. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

That was the problem. Map Finder is working now. Thanks for your help.

4. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I'm curious what the difference is between screenshots on BTS and Vanila. I have started to run Map Finder on Vanila to get a Space Race VC, and all of the screen shots are properly displayed. As I had stated (much) earlier, BTS Map Finder displays screnshots of my desktop for some reason. Apparently, what ever causes this phenomenon with Vista is unique to BTS...at least on my POS laptop.

The Cliff's Notes digest version: Vanila and BTS screenshot behave differently in Map Finder.

Any ideas?

5. Denniz

Not really sure why it would be different. Is that a vista PC? You might want to turn on logging to see if there are any python errors.

6. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

To get the BtS screenshots to take in Vista, you need to run Civ IV in a window, you can set this up in the .ini file. As for why it is only BtS that this happens in, I have no idea. I know the fix came from Sun Tzu Wu, maybe he knows the answer.

7. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Ozbenno, you are absolutely correct on all points you made above.

When using MapFinder inside BtS using fullscreen mode, it generates JPGs of your desktop rather than the BtS custom screen as it should. As a work-around, just ensure that the game is being displayed on your desktop by using windowed mode. This works best when the BtS window is maximized to cover your entire desktop screen.

Just as Ozbenno described above, I modified the CivilizationIV.ini in
    "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword" as follows:

; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
    FullScreen = ask

When I'm starting to BtS to run MapFinder, I select Windowed mode in the requester that pops up. When I start up BtS to play a Game, I simply select Fullscreen mode instead.

Note that MapFinder and either Vanilla or Warlords will work fine on Vista in fullscreen mode. It is only MapFinder in fullscreen BtS that has this issue with Vista.

Sorry, I don't know what causes this bug. However, the above work-around has worked very reliably for me for over a year of using MapFinder on BtS on Vista. I have heard that it also works well for other BtS players using Vista.

Sun Tzu Wu

8. BananaLee

BananaLee Fruity Penguin

Well, this problem has cropped up on mine.

If I manually regenerate the map when this thing happens, then MapFinder kicks in and works again for some random time. Time between each halt seems to be about 5-10 minutes.

9. Denniz

What map are you using. There is a bug on flat maps.

10. BananaLee

BananaLee Fruity Penguin

Pangaea, High.

11. Denniz

:hmm: You may need to turn on logging to find out what is going on.

Change your CivilizationIV.ini file as below. It is in your "My Games\<expansion>" folder (i.e. "My Games\Beyond the Sword").
    Code:
    ; Enable the logging system
    LoggingEnabled = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
    OverwriteLogs = 1
    Once you encounter the problem, you can find the log files you My Games\<expansion>\logs folder. Send the ones with Python in there names to hof.civfanatics@gmail.com.

12. BananaLee

BananaLee Fruity Penguin

Cool, I'll do it next time I play a round of games - exam season at the mo. :)

13. pholtz

pholtz King

OK, I'm sure I'm having a noob problem, but I can't get map finder to run at all.

When I installed it, there seem to be two locations specified in the instructions depending on where you look. One is C:\Program Files\Civ4_Map_Finder, the other, the default when you run the installation program is C:\Users\*name*\Documents\My Games\Civ4_Map_Finder. That is where I put it. I run Vista:(

Ok, when I start up BtS, I can hit control-alt-G and start the map finder running. I had to change the location in the options to make this work. But when I try to start up map finder directly so I can set up the rules etc. I get a small window, Registry Path Error "Cannot Find Civ4 Path". I don't see anywhere to set this up. Civ4 and the two expansions were installed in the default locations.

Any help appreciated, I hate windows and Vista in particular but am stuck with it to run Civ4.

14. Denniz

It needs to read the HOF ini file to find where you are putting the saves. You might what to download the latest MapFinder utility (1.8) as I made some changes to improve the Vista registry lookup. (32-bit registry entries are strange on 64-bit vista.) Did you have to tell it where to install? The Setup tries to find your My Games folder to install as that is the preferred location. (easier to load saves from there. ;))

Also, which version/edition of Civ4 (i.e. original cd, Gold, Complete, Steam, etc.) are you using? I haven't heard of any problems with the differences lately but sometimes they change registry keys names with the different editions. Steam has addtional complications. :crazyeye:

15. pholtz

pholtz King

Ok, first I use 32 bit Vista.

Second I use the original retail CD's. I did try Steam for a bit but when the latest update removed the requirement for a CD I switched back to the CD version. I'm pretty sure I removed all traces of the steam version, I haven't had any problems until now.

Third, I'm not sure were my HOF ini file is. I installed the HOF Buffy mod into c:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Fourth, where do you get version 1.8? On the HOF Map Finder page the latest download is 1.7.1. I didn't have to tell it where to install the Map Finder, I used the default. I tried copying Map Finder to the \Program Files directory, but no difference.

16. Denniz

Ah, I hadn't added v1.8 to the mods page. (I posted a link in the Buffy thread, originally pending feedback.) It is updated.

You hadn't specified BUFFY so I wasn't sure which version. If you switched back from Steam you probably didn't have any other HOF mods out there, which explains the unable to find the HOF ini file message.

BUFFY changed the ini file. It is UserSettings\MapFinder.ini. MapFinder V1.8 will find it there now.

17. pholtz

pholtz King

Sorry to be such a noob. But I can't even find a folder named UserSettings anywhere. I did download 1.8, didn't help.

update:
    I did find the UserSettings folder in the BuffyMod. Looking at that now, I see the MapFinder.ini file, it has the correct path to the mapfinder in it. Is there another ini file I should be looking at?

I probably am making this statement out of total ignorance, but if the MapFinder can't find something it needs to start, shouldn't it ask for the location instead of just failing?

And just to make things clear, I am still getting the same error when I try to start mapfinder by clicking on the .exe file. "Cannot find Civ4 Path"

18. Denniz

I assume that we start still talking about the MapFinder utility failing because it can't find the ini file. I am guessing that the Steam registry entries are still there and it is finding those. You will have to get rid of it. Try downloading a registry cleaner utiltiy if you aren't comfortable messing with the registry yourself.

Prompting for the path to the mod when the registry lookup fails didn't seem worth it when you consider how rarely it fails to find it. Coding for every eventuality is fairly time-comsuming. This isn't commercial grade software, after all. ;)

19. pholtz

pholtz King

OK, finally got it working. Thanks for your help Denniz. While I am not a complete computer noob, I don't like windows so haven't tried to learn how it works. But using your hint I looked up some registry utilities, and discovered that I had not removed the steam versions of vanilla and warlords. Up to now I had only played BtS, so I hadn't run into any problems. Anyway, got MapFinder running now, so have to figure out how to use it again (I knew how a couple years ago).

My first problem was letting it run and having the screen saver or display dimmer kick in. So now I'll have to load each saved file and look at it in the Civ program. As I understand it I can load and reload the initial file as long as I don't make any movements, right? Next time I'll remember to turn off the screen saver.

20. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Good to see you got Map Finder working :goodjob:

You are right, you can load up any map finder saves and look at them and exit, as long as you don't make any moves (warrior/scout/settler etc.).