[Map] Giant Earth Map

I'd say sage is the odd one out. While it had historical significance in classical and medieval Europe, I don't know anything about sage as a luxurious trade good. Incense was also used in India (by the Indus Valley Civ already), Tibet, China. Most of it involves agarwood or sandalwood, which are native to India and Southeast Asia. Any 2 territories in India would be good. Maybe Ganges and Maha... West India?

Of the three, my vote would be to cut Sage - it always seemed strange that it was a luxury to me. Currently, sage is located in Southern Italy and Occitania; the former could be replaced with Saffron according to this map (with possibly another source in/around Kashmir if desired?). The one in Occitania could be replaced with Dye as per my earlier post potentially if we wanted to maintain a luxury source there.

Potential additional sources of incense could be placed in:
Styrax - Thailand, Java, Sumatra
Sandalwood - Southern India or Hawaii
Agarwood - India/Southeast Asia/Indonesia/Papua
Copal - Mexico/Central America

I'd vote either somewhere in Indonesia, Southeast Asia, or Mexico/Yucatan personally since southern India already has a luxury and these areas are a bit more bare.

Just to explain my sage vote: as a personal preference, I would prefer the food bonus to the gold bonus; however, I fully acknowledge incense provides more "flavor," and I think Europe can be thinned out a bit for gameplay.

I'll also do a pass on starting position, where should we place the spawn in China for reserving the Zhou Culture when auto-outpost is used ?

Spoiler :
20211105151540_1.jpg

• hack Del Plata estuary into the map
  • to my taste, any of the versions you showed us back in #278 looks way better than the river-in-ocean alternative

i can try to come up with alternative names for the southamerican territories oriented towards a more old, native voices flavor

Last edited:
Seems there are issues with the editor with this version of the game, I'll postpone changes.

FoxFox's starting location for Zhou looks correct - I think it would technically be one tile west since Fengtao/Xi'an aren't directly on the Yellow River, but since that's a mountain tile, I think this is a good location.

FoxFox's starting location for Zhou looks correct - I think it would technically be one tile west since Fengtao/Xi'an aren't directly on the Yellow River, but since that's a mountain tile, I think this is a good location.

Lol, yeah, I even tried to convince my nomads to scale that mountain. But in the end I settled for that spot :)

should we remove the mountain ?

Done. It was a pain to update this time, new editor marks the map as invalid, spawn flags were messed up for manual edition and required me to use the BHKTools for 10 players setting, unziping/editing the descriptor to remove the failure flags caused load issues because (I think) of added file attributes while editing ("ready for archive").

Done, and won't do it again soon.

I hope.

If someone can test this please, spawn 1 to 10 *should* work, it *should* load, and it *shouldn't* make any PC component to explode.

Attachments

• Giant Earth Map v1.1.1.026.hmap.zip
    107.7 KB · Views: 51
I was testing different start positions - seems to go well, but I haven't played beyond the Neolithic yet.

I like the Zhou changes a lot!

For the Harappans: The Harappa site is east of the Indus. It's technically not on the banks of the Indus, but it is on the banks of a tributary of the Indus. So I'd place it 1-2 hexes south-east, adjacent to the Salt deposit.

Seems there are issues with the editor with this version of the game, I'll postpone changes.

Done. It was a pain to update this time, new editor marks the map as invalid, spawn flags were messed up for manual edition and required me to use the BHKTools for 10 players setting, unziping/editing the descriptor to remove the failure flags caused load issues because (I think) of added file attributes while editing ("ready for archive").

Done, and won't do it again soon.

I hope.

If someone can test this please, spawn 1 to 10 *should* work, it *should* load, and it *shouldn't* make any PC component to explode.

I was going to say, "what a bummer!" as I also had a lot of trouble just adding resources to your map with the beta. I thought it must be me and determined I could not easily resolve the validation issues. And there you go and release a map anyways! What a trooper!

I played into the Classical (of course forgot to turn TCL on...) and can say the map booted up just fine and played without noticeable difference on my end. Will let you know when I have a long play-through.

As a side note, looks like you swapped dye in for sage in Occitania. North/West Africa look delightful. Iberia looks a bit spoiled for choice when it comes to luxuries.

It loads fine but with generic territory names. Even with TCL selected... :dunno:

Regarding starting positions: the better yields for Numidia are for the outpost to be one tile west. Oddly enough, when I've been starting up games recently with slot 4, sometimes the outpost is as shown in your screenshot, and sometimes it is as described above. When it's to the west, it's very reasonable to look for curiosities; but, for whatever reason, it's much more difficult when starting to the east.

Would be curious whether others have had this experience too.

It loads fine but with generic territory names. Even with TCL selected... :dunno:
which version of the TCL mod ?

Regarding starting positions: the better yields for Numidia are for the outpost to be one tile west. Oddly enough, when I've been starting up games recently with slot 4, sometimes the outpost is as shown in your screenshot, and sometimes it is as described above. When it's to the west, it's very reasonable to look for curiosities; but, for whatever reason, it's much more difficult when starting to the east.

Would be curious whether others have had this experience too.
there is two hardcoded list in the mod to replace the starting position of the map, now activated when you use more than 10 players, or if you select one of them in the option.

the "correct" position is the tile west, in the hardcoded lists, but I'm done with changing the map itself with that version of the editor, so I'll put it in the to do for now.

Top Bottom