1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Map Script] Full of resources

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Map Scripts' started by Sto, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Sophylis

Sophylis Chieftain

This script is really great. Works very well for single player, and also the multiplayer vanilla game.

Yet in the multiplayer Fall from Heaven 2, we get tons of "out of sync" messages. Everytime a player produces a new troop, we get an out of sync message pretty much every time. The first few rounds everything works just fine. But after some time we keep getting the out of sync for almost every troop produced in the starting city. We do start with 5-10 great engineers per player though, to boost the production a little, maybe this is part of the problem? But why only in the FFH2 one and not in the vanilla?

2. cephalo

cephalo Deity

FfH2 has always had sync problems cropping up. Are you sure it's this map and not others? If the problem is with the map it will happen when the game starts. If you can play a few turns it's not the map script. I would guess that FfH's latest changes are to blame. Sync errors are created and then fixed as the mod is updated.

3. Sto

Sto Should i code today ...

If you can give the log files for the 2 players that would be great to check if this comes from the script (and where). This may be possible that the cause is the script. To check that : Start a new game. Save the game without doing anything. All players exit civIV (entirely). Then restart civIV and load the game. If you still get some OoS, this comes from FfH and if not This comes from the script. However I will not be able to check that before my internet connection is fixed.

Tcho !

4. rlbond86

rlbond86 Chieftain

I have 2 requests for the script, though I don't know if you still take requests :(. These are mostly features from SmartMap, which does a few things better than this script imo (though the shear number of options in FoR is amazing! Plus the balanced starting locations are really cool)

First, it would be nice to be able to manually set map size, i.e. 64x52 for example.

Second, sometimes we play MP games and occasionally one person gets stuck by themselves on an island in the middle of the ocean! It would be nice to be able to prevent this, either by moving islands around so they are pretty close and adding an isthmus, or just not putting someone alone on an island. Sometimes if we try Hemispheres, someone gets stuck on a tiny island.

Thanks for the awesome script!

5. Sto

I don't want to do this option. Even if it was with the previous version of Full of Resources, There is problem by doing that. I can't select the map size for you and a lots of setting may make a game wrong. If you want a bigger size of a map, you should use a mod that do that (or do it yourself, that's not so hard, only xml). This way all settings are well done to play and the script take in count these extra sizes. If you want a custom size not larger then huge, ask me for help and I'll tell you what to do.

This option is already done this is "swap human players". This options try to move human players as far away from possible and grant a fair display of HU/AI players per land mass. If you get another start on a tiny island, check if you get a message at the beginning of the game that say "Warning, the default placement must have been run". If you get this message that mean there were a problem during the placement (usually with a certain kind of map or lots of players/map size). This shouldn't be an error, but when a lots of players/size of the map, I prefer the default implementation. However all the options like "swap human players" are skipped. If you keep getting the message, post the logs so I can check what's the problem.

Tcho !

6. rlbond86

rlbond86 Chieftain

We usually play with 9 human players, 0 AI, Fractal. Will this option still work?

7. Sto

No, this option is only usefull if there are more AI than human. So you should have got the default placement. Check out at the beginning of the game if the default must have been run (this a message like an event). If you don't get it, the display of players should be relatively fair (not someone alone in an island). Except perhaps if there is enough "good" place in that island compare to the place you should got in the main continent (I don't remember exactly how I've done for this case).

If you still get a bad placement or when you get it, please post the logs so i can check that. I will have some time to spend on the script next week. The log are disable by default for a MP game but you can select it in the option. Check out the first post to see how to post the logs.

If you still get some problems, i will try to do something about that. If I can figure what the problem is.

Tcho !

8. rlbond86

rlbond86 Chieftain

Here's a log from a single player game on fractal, where one team got stuck on an island by themselves. The island was kind of big, but unfortunately in a MP game, if you're stuck on an island, you get left behind pretty quickly...

Attached Files:

• logs.zip
      File size:
      154.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Sto

Ok, thank you for the logs. I've checked all your generations (about 5-7 games) and all placements succeeded (so the cause is not the default placement). However i don't know how to design an option for that !? Sometimes there are 1-2 players isolated. But there may be multiple islands where the land masses are well distributed (3 player/landmass). So an option like "old world start" won't be enough. Hopefully distributing players on landmasses will be easy but the design of the options is a problem. perhaps "no isolated start" and "no isolated start(team)" would do it. But I have to insure also that a team begin on the same landmass (that could cause some problems sometimes with fractals like map and this is not so easy to implement). What would you do about that? (how would you design the options?) The main problem here is the team play and the fact fractals and hemispheres are designed to be be random enough (so not MP design).

Tcho !

10. rlbond86

rlbond86 Chieftain

Would it be possible to at least have a warning, so we can start over? Or maybe have an option to try generating a new map if one has isolated start, maybe try N times for a map with no isolated start?

11. Sto

The warning is possible, but by option (most players wouln't want to know the placement).

Regenerating n times the map is impossible.

Designing the 2 options like below is possible but not enough. For a no team game, "no isolated start" is easy. But "no isolated start(team)" imply some choice not easy to do. You will certainly end most of time with an old world start or with a bad display of players (a landmass surpopulated compared to others).

I let you think about that a little and tell me what you think because the main problem here is that some map generated can't grant a fair display of players for MP team games.

For the moment you can enable the log and chck that :

Spoiler :
    Code:
    _  = StoAssignStartingPlots =  _________

bCoast : True
     bInland : True
     bSameArea : False
     iRangeStart : 22
     lakeSize : 9
     oceanSize : 20
     bRemovePeaks : False
     bRemoveBadFeatures : False
     bRemoveBadTerrains : True
     bEraseBonus : True

areaList : [[[0, 2, 4, 3, 5, 8, 6, 1], 1062], [[7], 133]]
     place player ([0, 2, 4, 3, 5, 8, 6, 1]) for one area : 1062
     nb player placed for range 22 : 4
     nb player placed for range 19 : 4
     nb player placed for range 16 : 5
     nb player placed for range 14 : 6
     nb player placed for range 13 : 6
     nb player placed for range 12 : 8
     all players placed in this area -> continue

place player ([7]) for one area : 133
     nb player placed for range 22 : 1
     all players placed in this area -> continue

search for "StoAssignStartingPlots" with notepad. And check areaList : [[[0, 2, 4, 3, 5, 8, 6, 1], 1062], [[7], 133]] which mean that player 0, 2, 4, 3, 5, 8, 6, 1 are placed on a landmass with 1062 "good tiles" and player 7 on a landmass with 133 tiles. (log are cumulative with one cession so search for the last).
    At least you can know the repartition of player per landmass. Don't worry about the number of the player. This wouldn't mean that this player will be placed here. Players are swapped after to place teams together.

Hope this is usefull :)

Tcho!

12. rlbond86

rlbond86 Chieftain

That is useful, thanks for the advice. At least we can immediately check if we need to restart the game :)

Personally, our group doesn't play teams. So we don't need the option for "no isolated start (team)".

13. rlbond86

rlbond86 Chieftain

Our problem is that standard tends to be too big, and small is too small :(
    It would be nice to get something in the middle. Is there a mod to do that for multiplayer?

14. civcivv

civcivv Warlord

15. Sto

Ok, thank you for the logs. I will answer you by pm.

Tcho !

16. civcivv

civcivv Warlord

Ran into another issue today.

When I was loading a quicksave I made during the advanced start (where you spend points), the game crashed. Seem to be able to reproduce.

Does that mean FoR generated games cannot be saved+loaded during advanced start mode?

17. suto007

suto007 Chieftain

hi guys i need some help which would have appreciated :D
    first of all, have windows 7 ultimate x64
    downloaded full version 2.81 for 3.19 patch which i have
    started mod,choose everything to play and when maps load it,everything stops respondig except music.tried everything...please help me..wanna play this mod :D
    thanks in advance

18. Sto

hello,

I guess you're playing with BtS. If you try to generate a huge map with a lot of settings, the generation should take a long time (over 7 min for me with "full settings" and huge size). In this case this is normal to have nothing responding while the map generate except sound (this is how civ IV is made). But you can send me the logs (like described in the first post of this thread) so I can check if an error occured ... anyway that shouldn't stuck your machine.

Tcho !

19. dommain

dommain Warlord

Could the options for FFH2 and FF be enabled also for Rise from Erebus?

20. Sto

I don't have civIV there so I can't test. I've not played FfH for a long time so I don't know the new MODs.

You can try that :

_ Use the sentence "Fall from Heaven 2" in the name of the MOD ( like "Fall from Heaven 2 _ Rise from Erebus" ) by editing the mod name. Do that only if the MOD is not installed with a .exe file. If this MOD use the animal and barbarian civ like in FF use the sentence "Fall Further" instead.
    If you have a problem on initialization of the game or with graphics ... just revert back.

_ A safe way to do that in any case :
    copy and rename FoR ("FoR _ Rise from Erebus").
    Edit the script with notepad ++ (or python).
    look for :
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    def recognizeMOD() :
            global is_BtS_FFH2
            global is_BtS_FF
            global is_BtS_ROM

is_BtS_FFH2 = False
            if BtS and "Fall from Heaven 2" in modName : is_BtS_FFH2 = True

is_BtS_FF = False
            if BtS and "Fall Further" in modName : is_BtS_FF = True

replace "Fall from Heaven 2" by the the name of the FfH modmod. Or "Fall Further" if the mod use the animal and barbarian civ like in the FF.
    This way you can create a script for each FfH modmod you want to play.

When back with civIV, i'll try to incorporate the newest most popular modmod of FfH.

Tcho !