Master & 2 rookies

Whoa! Some new posts here I see. Gotta find time to read them...

What comes to my front, I have settler almost complete and good location to build a new city. Then my warrior found copper in North Greece... Also Rome itself is totally undefended at the moment.

Attachments

• rome2.jpg
    rome2.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 231
  • rome3.jpg
    rome3.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 210
Don't worry about leaving Rome undefended. I can see copper in your screenshot, indicating that you've researched Bronze Working, so once you have revolted to Slavery, you can always 1-pop whip an archer in two turns, should the need arise.

When not Spiritual, it's often advisable to revolt to Slavery while the settler is traveling to the desired destination, which ensures that the second city doesn't lose any turns to anarchy, nor do you delay the settler's production with a turn of anarchy. Sometimes you want to revolt to Slavery earlier so as to whip out the settler, usually when your capital has no useful tiles to work at size 3/4 (i.e. only two tiles with more than 4 combined food/hammers) while the planned second site seems especially strong. In that case, you should also have a worker available to improve the new city at once.

Rome makes for a fine capital, though, and at this point you would gain no advantage from whipping in any event. Perhaps you should whip out the settler for Amiens, (which I've erroneously called Angers before, even though I knew that Anjou is nowhere north of Paris) if Imp. Knoedel is going to compete with you. Otherwise, neither Spain nor docile England should reach it before you (Spain will probably settle the pigs near the Bay of Biscay first, England will just doze off because it's on an island by itself, and the AI doesn't realize that this is dire news).

By the way, Earth18Civs (the ancestor of the scripted map you're playing) makes for a completely insane map. For example, while Germany enjoys the benefits of copper at the capital, France gets iron and no horses. Beeline Bronze Working and you can actually make an axe rush work spectacularly for once. What's more, I bet you could kill all of continental Europe, Greece excluded (as they should always settle by the source of copper in Epirus), solely fielding horse archers.

I am England, and I am still unsure about how much the three humans are supposed to cooperate or compete.

I am England
I bite my tongue, then. Had assumed that you were playing Germany due to color confusion (and also not looking at the scoreboard very attentively at all). This does explain the English scouts in the screenshots, and also the forested pig hill being worked at the German capital on T28 when BW/AH should long have been researched (Prince tech costs), which I've also just spotted. Challenge to the newer players: find all instances of the AI's misplays.

That also slightly changes my evaluation -- if Germany goes west with the first settler, settling Amiens might become impossible due to the minimal city distance of two tiles. Still unlikely, but at least in the realm of non-zero probability.
and I am still unsure about how much the three humans are supposed to cooperate or compete.
If the goal is to beat all the Prince AIs, and I assume you could easily beat them all by yourself, I think you should intervene as little as possible; maybe beeline Astro and settle the New World while only providing assistance in an emergency. Perfidious Albion and all that.

What MattiK and Phylhom want to do is up to them, I suppose, but I agree that if they trade techs between themselves, the game will take on a different character compared to the Single Player experience. That said, this map is rather exceptional in any regard. The Amiens site is insane, for instance. What's the food surplus there, +15? +20?

If thrashing the AI opponents all across Eurasia should eventually become boring for them, you could mimic the "final boss" for them to try and jointly defeat. :mischief: It's nearly impossible to catch a cautious player with a transcontinental invasion, though, so I suppose you should go easy on border safety (i.e. intentionally avoid a sentry net and let them figure out visibility rules... or revert your empire to AI and observe the collapse :lol: -- in fact, this might be a fun idea) if this is to form the grand finale.

and I am still unsure about how much the three humans are supposed to cooperate or compete.

I propose following:
1. Humans don't fight each others.
2. If human gives aid to another human, there should be some fair compensation.
3. ??
4. Profit!

Imp. Knoedel, what's your status? I got your last e-mail in 13th of last month (october).
I was wondering about you, but it turns out that I am an idiot: I accidentally sent the last turn only to Phylhom, instead of both of you.
And so we are back in the game! I have 3 good locations for next cities. Where should I place one first? Copper would be for the best I think...

Attachments

• rome4.jpg
    rome4.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 228
Personally I would found the copper city one north, but then again I am a sucker for rivers and plains hills.

Personally I would found the copper city one north, but then again I am a sucker for rivers and plains hills.

Up there city would lose both clam and sheep. Would get pigs though. But wouldn't leave enough room for another city. Then again, expanding cultural borders of other civs would mess that up anyway. Unless I conquer them. Hmm...

With how close by your neighbors are I wouldn't count on being able to found too many cities yourself anyway. Just put one to your east and west each to cut off your neighbors for now, and then you should start working on Praetorians to conquer some living space.

From e-mail:
How many warriors do you have? You really should have all three of your cities garrisoned with warriors before you start building a Barracks as that will take too long.
I have 2 warriors. I had started with barracks many turns ago and it has only 7 turns left. Also why make warriors when I can make archers? Gonna upgrade my 2 warriors to axemen or something once I get tapped on copper.

From e-mail:

I have 2 warriors. I had started with barracks many turns ago and it has only 7 turns left. Also why make warriors when I can make archers? Gonna upgrade my 2 warriors to axemen or something once I get tapped on copper.

Because they aren't supposed to be fighting, only protect your settlers against animals and garrison your cities to prevent unhappiness. For the same reason there's no need to upgrade them unless an enemy army is on your doorstep. My recommended build order in Rome would be Warrior -> (maybe Barracks a bit to grow Rome to the next size if it only has a turn or two until growth ->) Settler -> Granary (whip for 2 population) -> Barracks -> Whatever units you want

Sounds good. But I'll go with archers for garrison units. They have city defense bonus by default.

This turn I made new city to the east. I'll have it make work boat first as that gives some time for the city to grow. With worker in Rome complete by next turn, I'll have Rome to make archer, then settler, then make city up to the north.

Attachments

• rome5.jpg
    rome5.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 221
Founded my third city. Gonna build cottage on wine as soon as I have pottery researched. Gonna need mysticism and monuments to get culture and expand city borders. Then maybe animal husbandry to tap onto animal resources and hopefully horses, then iron working for praetorians. Masonry for marble & stone quarries would be nice too...

Attachments

• rome6.jpg
    rome6.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 217
Scouts are useless, they die to everything. Their extra speed doesn't mean anything if they won't survive the first barbarian warrior.

Year 2080. My scout spotted Hamburg, east from the Berlin. And corner of a red border north-east-east from the Hamburg. Border's tile is outside of line of sight, so I guess I'll move scout there to check it out. Got mysticism researched and will start with monuments in next turn. At least in Antium. Maybe animal husbandry next so I can tap onto pigs. Then iron working for praetorians.

There was several days of delay when I forgot to attach file and nobody said anything about it. Owner of the red border is no else than Stalin.

Attachments

• rome7.jpg
    rome7.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 235
Few more turns down the road. I have explored some more and made new city at coast of Black Sea. Damn Spain got its city first in the France and I'll need to torch it (and whole Spain while I'm at it) in order to secure access to the Atlantic Ocean. For that purpose I've got axeman and now 3 cities are making praetorians. New city starts with the monument in order to expand its borders and secure resources before Russia or Germany gets them.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0101.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0101.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 225
On turn #81 I went to war against Spain crossing the border. On turn #82 I sacked city of Seville! My praetorians (and axeman & archer) are now advancing towards Madrid, which is garrisoned only by warrior and archer :D

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0102.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0102.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 224
Top Bottom