Master of Mana Xtended

ok newly registered here after successfully avoiding it for over a decade but after this latest iteration of master of mana i cant get the thing to intitialise, followed the steps everything looked fine but still getting GFC Error: failed to initialize primary control theme. whats the options here??
Try to rename the folder into "Master of Mana".

the folder is named master of mana E bro, i'l take some screens and attach for ya, i'm stumped, I know the problem is ridiculously stupid and feels tantalizingly close, but sadly I am rusty with civ. Many thanks for your patience by the way, am crazy intrigued about the mod cant wait to get stuck in! i will preemptively say well done and glad to see folks haven't gone all softcore and given up on the civ4 mods!

Attachments

• civ.jpg
    civ.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 260
  • civ2.jpg
    civ2.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 218
  • civ3.jpg
    civ3.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 200
E you legend, was a valiant effort bro, renamed age of ice but still failed to initialize, have completely removed MoM and all components and will go the long way round, download FfH2 main mod, install, then repeat your steps from the OP. will update once finished for any others with this same issue. Cheers again fella

So I installed ffh and patched, then repeated all steps in OP and master of mana named correctly but dealing with an xml issue here, suggestions???

Attachments

• civ4.jpg
    civ4.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 310
So I installed ffh and patched, then repeated all steps in OP and master of mana named correctly but dealing with an xml issue here, suggestions???
I'm no tech expert, but common mistakes are not having patch 3.19 for civ-bts or not patching mom to 2.11.
I'm pretty sure your error has nothing to do with vanilla ffh2. I'm play mom-Extended just fine, without having donwloaded FFH2 .
When I compare "civ2.jpg" with my folder, I notice that I have an additional subfolder called "resources" in this folder. I'm not sure whether this folder is essential, or created upon starting the game or due to the fact that I use the steam version of civ4.

You could try to narrow down where the error is by starting only some part of the mod.
If you're trying to play mom-extended and it isn't working, you should try to start mom 2.11 without extended and see if it's working.
If you're trying to play mom 2.11 and it isn't working, you should try to start undpatched mom 2.0 and see if it's working.
If you're trying to play mom 2.0 and it isn't working, you should try to start ffh2 and see if it's working. (As mentioned above, ffh2 shouldn't be required for mom but you can try if there is something wrong with starting a mod for civ4 in general this way.)

Having a problem with MOM 2.11, An error occurred during installation. Anyone know how to solve this? Using windows7, korean version. Attached pic below

Attachments

• 20180223_220435.png
    20180223_220435.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 230
I'm no tech expert, but common mistakes are not having patch 3.19 for civ-bts or not patching mom to 2.11.
I'm pretty sure your error has nothing to do with vanilla ffh2. I'm play mom-Extended just fine, without having donwloaded FFH2 .
When I compare "civ2.jpg" with my folder, I notice that I have an additional subfolder called "resources" in this folder. I'm not sure whether this folder is essential, or created upon starting the game or due to the fact that I use the steam version of civ4.

You could try to narrow down where the error is by starting only some part of the mod.
If you're trying to play mom-extended and it isn't working, you should try to start mom 2.11 without extended and see if it's working.
If you're trying to play mom 2.11 and it isn't working, you should try to start undpatched mom 2.0 and see if it's working.
If you're trying to play mom 2.0 and it isn't working, you should try to start ffh2 and see if it's working. (As mentioned above, ffh2 shouldn't be required for mom but you can try if there is something wrong with starting a mod for civ4 in general this way.)

Cheers for the information bro, I feel the missing resource subfolder is a part of the puzzle as the missing colour themes would be a necessary resource for the mod to initialize, I have fall further 051 unpatched running somewhat at the moment but gathering the required patches etc is troublesome as most links even on this site are unfortunately are either dead or nonexistent, does anyone by some miracle retain a copy of patch c for ff I could swipe???

Got a save(Turn 1) that crashes every time I end the turn.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    77.8 KB · Views: 179
Hello guys.

Is there any futur developpements planned for this great mod ?

Last time Esvath posted here about this subject, he stated that hes working on Epic Destiny victory. Since then, i dont think he has posted here anymore.

By looking at his profile, we can see the last time he logged in was 4 months ago, so i think the mod has just entered a huge hiatus.

Unfortunately, there's the real possibility that this mod is dead, but i prefer to think Esvath would announce here if he decided to stop Xtended development.

Also, at this point, if Esvath decided to stop, i don't think anyone would pick a mod of such an old game to further its development, even though some bug fixes and rebalances are needed.

So yeah, our only hope is Esvath coming here and breath life to this amazing mod again.

Agree with you, even Esvath decided to stop, I still appreciate all his effort in this mod. It is understandable if he decided to stop since this game and the mod is just too old. However, his and the team's effort made us have a great time before.

I hope Esvath will pick up again the work.
But if the MOD development is stopping, what version do you suggest to play? I mean, I understand that last stable version Master of Mana Xtended 5.6 (11 June 2017) has some issues, so I am inclined to rollback to some old version, with less feature but less game-breaking issues.Any suggestion?
I really would like to give this MOD a try.
Given the orrrrible games I play in Civ6, where I feel only sad, I would really really appreciate any effort to let Civ4 shine as it deserves, and I still find it is aging well, giving a far more satisfying experience than any successors or competitor. Like old wine: you have to use it gently, open it carefully, but it will give you something.

I'll check.
it's been a year (or more) that I played MoM (so much other mod mods to rotate my few games through...). but I think I last played with the 5.6 version and did not have any issue.

I know I played Illian and Aos-si before the new version because I highligted some issues in Aos-Si, but I think I played Austrin with the new version : /

This mod is still better than 90% of my steam library (possibly more).

Hope someone else picks up the torch because this thing is a masterpiece of turn based gaming and has aged amazingly well.

I agree with Industrious1, MoM was and is the most complex FFH modmod and Xtended took that level of complexity and fun to an even more emerging depth. I'd like to thank Esvath and the team and hope that they will carry on. It has aged pretty well and is definitely on par with Civ 5 and 6. I worked separately on a graphical patch for Xtended 5.6. My programming skills are limited so most of the changes are in the XML files and arts folders. It has a changelog attached with all files and exactly what was changed. It has took me several weeks to compile it and I hope you all enjoy it and that some of it, if not all, will find its way in an official patch by the team.

So what did I change?

1. I wanted to add some flavor to the way built landscape looks for all civs so I introduced some unique improvements for several civs. There is a Grigori and Bannor Homestead, that acts like a fortified farm/pasture, there is a Doviello Yaranga (upgraded camp), there is a Ljosalfar Forest Lodge (because elves are supposed to not chop down trees), Hippus Breeding Grounds, a Khazad Deep Mine, a Dural Artisan Workshop, a Jotnar Large Windmill, a Malakim Caravansary as well as a Kuriotate Caravan Center that act out as uber trade markets but are quite different in implementation, there are several Aristrakh improvements like a Pyre, Catacoms and Crypt that make their land look less barren and offer some production in flatlands as well and, finally, there is an orc Pit instead of quarry. I tried to balance production so some other nations get some unique buildings like the Mercurian High Conclave (a version of a pagan temple that gives a free spec/town). In that same fashion the Malakim get free specs from Caravansaries/Trade Centers and the Grigori from their homesteads. Grigori also have access to their unique type of spec - the yeoman - who can boost adventurer GP points. Kuriotates get all three districts available in the same uber city (noble, merchant and sage), since they can have just 4 or 5 cities tops. The Empyrean Liberty civic goes to Grigori and the Empyrean gets its own new civic called Enlightened Rule. Ashen veil civs can build cottages in hell terrain and the Illians and Frozen can do it on ice tiles (as intended in the original FFH2). Also, some buildings got their icons changed, they are mentioned in the changelog. Some were misplaced to begin with, like the City of A Thousand Slums or Aristrakh Palace, while some I thought would fit better.

2. I then wanted to change sounds to most units so I allotted a selection sound to most, if not all. All civs get a different sound (I was tired frankly of most civs speaking the same language). I introduced some sounds for water, earth and ice elementals as well as the parrot, hawk and raven that now use their sounds properly when selected.

3. Finally I made some graphical tweaks to units, changed some Bannor units to fit their Roman, originally intended image. Seeing somebody remade Mardero (rather nicely ;), I made some graphic tweaks to some heroes, including Sphener, Brigit, Basium, Yvain (the satyr) and the Mithril Golem. I added some new adept units like the 3 Kuriotate Adepts, and 2 Doviello ones (mage and archmage that was long overdue). I appreciated the idea of Hippus mounted adepts and found out that they were intended to have mounted disciple units as well in the original MoM but there were no units for them so it was abandoned. So I created some. 12 priests and high priests, all mounted. Then I saw the Austrin were the original civ to have mounted adepts, on pegasi. I saw the wonderful austerin_mounted artstyle and so got hitched and did all Austrin units that were available in the original MoM also mounted on pegasi. So as to have some more flavor, some pegasi are gray, some are black, depending usually on alignment and context. I included mounted versions of religious heroes too, like Chalid and Hemah which I like how they turned out to look. I learned to use nifskope in the process. Of course, I see no reason to not implement a Hippus mounted hero artstyle as well but I stopped as it took me a lot of time to get this far and I cannot invest more into it. But I hope to have provided the team with some aid into going further. Total mounted units - 60. There is a TEST savefile for all improvements and units included.

What I found out and didn't have time to do yet but I might do so cause it takes little effort: some graphical errors to some units like the Jotnar Berserk whose right axe is in mid air, the Austrin Hunter (explorer) has no weapon, the Hippus Spearman and Bladedancer (ironically), have no blades. I corrected the Bowmaiden so it has range animation and changed a lot of icons to fit the general ice background style of the original FFH2 feel.

That's all I can remember right now. What I didn't do but I definitely think the team should address are some balance issues. Somebody gave an Aos Si in depth feedback which I think is quite accurate. I would just say that the roster is fun to play with but has several drawbacks as it stands right now: a. there are, surprisingly, less units available to nations now that all have entirely unique units. b. There are less incentives to upgrade units (as they evolve by themselves with tech research) and so a low warrior type fanatic could get to the end of the game and be the toughest unit the Bannor ever have. c. as a corollary, the late era units are too expensive for just a bit more attack d. there are a lot of techs that give no new unit opportunities. e. it is very difficult to track enemy armies just by watching them move around, their combat factors vary immensely according to their tech research. f. most heroes (that were intended to play rather different roles), are now played pretty similar (10 combat plus roster bonuses means anywhere between 10 and 36 combat). And, finally, g. a lot of units have mana affinity. This is interesting to play with but is quite easy to get off balance, especially if it doubles with the roster (huge) bonus. So yeah, without being critical, I think the combat system needs some balancing to address these issues but I think it is wonderful to have all nations play out so differently and it is in this precise manner that I would see further development. Perhaps lower the roster bonuses a bit so that they make for maximum 33% of the original unit combat and add larger difference in combat for higher tier units. Also, please make heroes different again :))

Thanks again to the team for their great efforts that are much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
So here's the patchfile. Just overwrite the Assets folder in Master of Mana (Xtended v. 5.6). Remember to back up your original files. I also included a TEST savefile with all units and improvements on the map.

Attachments

• Xtended Graphic Patch.7z
    14.2 MB · Views: 217
  • TEST.CivBeyondSwordSave
    465.3 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom