1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Orion 2 unofficial patch

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Rocco.40, Feb 7, 2016.

1. kwahraps

kwahraps Chieftain

I removed /150 from the C:harddisk path.
    However, when I booted up the macosx launcher, I did not get another option to install.
    And there were no mods to list. Which makes sense.

Is there a way to reset that would allow me to install the newest patch again?

2. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

- you have to boot up launcher install from original (unzipped) install files location, which should be somewhere outside of moo2 dir, and not boot up the moo2 launcher shortcut that was created after install.

if you dont know where location is or you have deleted original unzipped files, then download pack from moo2mod again, unzip it and install from that (ref install.txt if needed).

3. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

Hi there, I noticed you released 1.50.15, thanks for fixing the ghost colonies, that was ruining the game for me!

Although we disagree on some things, the O2M tool can still help many people mod their game easier so here is the latest version built for 1.50.15 with many bugs fixed and some new features added, use it at your own leisure.

Attached Files:

4. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

Hey, you're back, unexpected but good news. Great that you have posted your updated tool here, and pls don't let some disagreements discourage you in the future.
    I am looking forward to hearing some feedback from other players/users of this tool.

5. kwahraps

kwahraps Chieftain

I removed /150 from the C:harddisk path
    Downloaded the 1.50.15-r2 version again.
    Installed successfully.
    No depth mod shows up.
    8(

The game works fine for everything else.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

6. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

1 last thing to try - if you feel up for it;
    uploaded a version -r3
    if you can repeat process once more (delete /150, then reinstall), then start ice-x mod from launcher and tell me what ice version number you see.

http://moo2mod.com/patch/MOO2-1.50.15-r3.zip

7. kwahraps

kwahraps Chieftain

Done.
    ICE-X 23.1

Mods listed :
    Version 1.2
    Standard
    1.50 Improved
    1.50 Improved + picks
    ICE-M
    ICE-X 23.1
    Melee (beta 0.3)
    VDC X6-V64-B1-GM3
    VDC X6-V64-B1-REG
    Vanilla-MP

8. Alex/150

Alex/150 Chieftain

Hello. This is because your file system is case sensitive. For now you can workaround by renaming:

gamedir/150/mods/depth/depth501.cfg
    gamedir/150/mods/maps/MAP_D3_5.cfg

to

gamedir/150/mods/depth/depth501.CFG
    gamedir/150/mods/maps/MAP_D3_5.CFG

respectively. It's a bug in launcher, will release fix soon.

9. kwahraps

kwahraps Chieftain

That's a bingo!

Thank you Alex and Rocco for your patience and efforts.

10. Depth386

Depth386 Chieftain

Hi Rocco, thank you so much for this. It shows I don't really know what I'm doing 100% of the time.
    My goal was to simply include every possible line there is the mod.cfg file, using example.cfg as my template. I wanted every single line listed, even if I don't want to use it. And yeah I wrongfully assumed that =0 would mean default value. So I suppose I better comment those out or remove them.

Regarding the folder name, I have indeed been using a single folder called "depth". When I create a new version of my mod, I move the old version into a separate folder completely outside of my Moo2 folder for the sake of archiving purposes. That way no conflicts.

11. kwahraps

kwahraps Chieftain

Interesting concept, Depth.

I have quite a few thoughts.

In short, I like fewer command points, but there were far fewer habitable planets and an Antaran attack can just wipe you out.
    With such low population, production, farming, and science can be strained without the right traits.
    With low income, it was only a natural fit to go Lithovore Democracy and immediately help science and generate income.
    As I started to out tech the other AI's, they seemed happy to not expand and stayed in 1-3 star systems the entire game.
    Once you have the technology and a few battleships to defeat the planets guarded by monsters, it's pretty much game over.

The game was faster, but with an unkind placement of planets, there can be droughts of nothing to do.

I do have some recommendations.
    For more details, if interested, please email me at kwahraps@yahoo.com if you wish to discuss further.

Thank you for making this.

12. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

fyi- I have added a link to your post about O2M tool here: http://moo2mod.com/#tool

13. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

fyi- i have added a link to your post about the mod here: http://moo2mod.com/#mod

14. JHSIII

JHSIII Chieftain

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any way to use this patch without DOSbox? I don't need DOSbox to run MOO2, it runs just fine without it.

I bought this game back in 1996, and still run the same Orion 95 (although I've done some tweaking to get it to run on every version of windows I've used over the years)

15. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

1.50 patch is made for the dos executable 'orion2.exe', not for the windows executable 'orion95.exe'.
    so patch can work without dosbox on winxp, but for win 7,8,10 you'd need dosbox.

16. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

17. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

Since every new patch adds new keywords, I was wondering if you could add a property of some sort to these keywords inside the json file, like "template":"core", "template":"ai", "template":"map", "template":"ruleset" etc.
    Code:
    For example:
    {
      "comment" : ".....",
      "default" : 0,
      "name" : "mod_name",
      "type" : "string",
      "template" : "all"
    },
    {
      "comment" : ".....",
      "default" : 4,
      "max" : 255,
      "min" : 0,
      "name" : "wormhole_color",
      "type" : "integer",
      "template" : "interface"
    }

This way, when loading a new syntax (the "config.json" file) I could also generate new templates while loading it instead of storing and updating those templates manually, which also requires to rebuild O2M for every new patch.

We could also use this to create mod templates dynamically, if they are defined somewhere in a set like this:
    Code:
    "parameters" : [
    ],
    "patch_version" : "1.50.16",
    "templates" : [
    {
      "name" : "all"
    },
    {
      "name" : "core"
    },
    {
      "name" : "ai"
    },
    ]

This will probably make the tool very dynamic and compatible with any older or future patch versions that have a "config.json" file included, and will also lower its size, could be a good idea, but it will require some effort from you, classifying like 300 keywords may not be easy :D

Let me know what you think about this.

18. Alex/150

Alex/150 Chieftain

Hello. It's easy to add, but we need to be clearer about list of templates and criteria for assigning certain template, etc. Will contact you later today.

19. Numinor1

Numinor1 Chieftain

Hi, I attacked Antaries and the end was the standard bombardment. I was playing ICE-M 23 with the ICE map.

20. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

Hello, do you mean after Antares you got bombardment against an AI?
    I'd like to see you savegame, if you kept it!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM