[MoO] Master of Orion 2 unofficial patch

almost sounds like you have two MOO2 installs.
so did you accept standard Steam settings, or did you manually change paths?

you could try delete entire /150 folder from your moo2 dir and then install again.

I removed /150 from the C:harddisk path.
However, when I booted up the macosx launcher, I did not get another option to install.
And there were no mods to list. Which makes sense.

Is there a way to reset that would allow me to install the newest patch again?

- you have to boot up launcher install from original (unzipped) install files location, which should be somewhere outside of moo2 dir, and not boot up the moo2 launcher shortcut that was created after install.

if you dont know where location is or you have deleted original unzipped files, then download pack from moo2mod again, unzip it and install from that (ref install.txt if needed).

Hi there, I noticed you released 1.50.15, thanks for fixing the ghost colonies, that was ruining the game for me!

Last edited:
Hey, you're back, unexpected but good news. Great that you have posted your updated tool here, and pls don't let some disagreements discourage you in the future.
I am looking forward to hearing some feedback from other players/users of this tool.

- you have to boot up launcher install from original (unzipped) install files location, which should be somewhere outside of moo2 dir, and not boot up the moo2 launcher shortcut that was created after install.

if you dont know where location is or you have deleted original unzipped files, then download pack from moo2mod again, unzip it and install from that (ref install.txt if needed).

I removed /150 from the C:harddisk path
Downloaded the 1.50.15-r2 version again.
Installed successfully.
No depth mod shows up.
8(

The game works fine for everything else.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

I removed /150 from the C:harddisk path
Downloaded the 1.50.15-r2 version again.
Installed successfully.
No depth mod shows up.
8(

The game works fine for everything else.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
1 last thing to try - if you feel up for it;
uploaded a version -r3
if you can repeat process once more (delete /150, then reinstall), then start ice-x mod from launcher and tell me what ice version number you see.

(removed link)

Last edited:
1 last thing to try - if you feel up for it;
uploaded a version -r3
if you can repeat process once more (delete /150, then reinstall), then start ice-x mod from launcher and tell me what ice version number you see.

http://moo2mod.com/patch/MOO2-1.50.15-r3.zip

Done.
ICE-X 23.1

Mods listed :
Version 1.2
Standard
1.50 Improved
1.50 Improved + picks
ICE-M
ICE-X 23.1
Melee (beta 0.3)
VDC X6-V64-B1-GM3
VDC X6-V64-B1-REG
Vanilla-MP

Done.
ICE-X 23.1 ...

Hello. This is because your file system is case sensitive. For now you can workaround by renaming:

gamedir/150/mods/depth/depth501.cfg
gamedir/150/mods/maps/MAP_D3_5.cfg

to

gamedir/150/mods/depth/depth501.CFG
gamedir/150/mods/maps/MAP_D3_5.CFG

respectively. It's a bug in launcher, will release fix soon.

Hello. This is because your file system is case sensitive. For now you can workaround by renaming:

gamedir/150/mods/depth/depth501.cfg
gamedir/150/mods/maps/MAP_D3_5.cfg

to

gamedir/150/mods/depth/depth501.CFG
gamedir/150/mods/maps/MAP_D3_5.CFG

respectively. It's a bug in launcher, will release fix soon.

That's a bingo!

Thank you Alex and Rocco for your patience and efforts.

if you use Launcher, then there should be no need to manually edit 'enable.cfg'.
- did you copy files into correct folder? eg not into /launcher/patch/150mods but into /150/mods?
- make sure that you haven't both the previous depth500.cfg and this new depth501.cfg installed, because that will cause a conflict for Launcher.

- cause could actually be that in cfg, the lbx paths are named "150\mods\depth\SHIPNAME.LBX;"
but with the new version the folder name has become "Depth501".
as a result, lbx-es cannot load
> try renaming folder from Depth501 to depth

edit-
I noted that in the depth501.cfg, lbx-es that are not used are written as "newgame.lbx = 0;"
it is not good practice to null lbx-es that you don't use, since "=0" is not the same as "do nothing". rather it will null lbx-es that are required for the patch to function correctly and should be loaded.
specifically nulling:
newgame.lbx = 0;
estrings.lbx = 0;
eventmse.lbx = 0;
will cause problems, but really no lbx should be nulled unless there is a specific reason to do it.
likewise, build.cfg = 0; and main.lua = 0; will disable the functionalities of build queue list loading and scripting, so these lines should also be removed from the mod.

pls don't take all this as negative criticism on the design of your mod, just as feedback on how to make it function properly... modding is somewhat complex after all and these are a few pitfalls that need to be avoided.

Hi Rocco, thank you so much for this. It shows I don't really know what I'm doing 100% of the time.
My goal was to simply include every possible line there is the mod.cfg file, using example.cfg as my template. I wanted every single line listed, even if I don't want to use it. And yeah I wrongfully assumed that =0 would mean default value. So I suppose I better comment those out or remove them.

Regarding the folder name, I have indeed been using a single folder called "depth". When I create a new version of my mod, I move the old version into a separate folder completely outside of my Moo2 folder for the sake of archiving purposes. That way no conflicts.

Hi guys, in case anyone out there enjoys my Depth Mod, I have updated it for Moo2 v 1.50.15
In your Moo2 folder, under \ 150 \ mods \ create a folder named "depth" and unzip all files there
Move the file "map_d3_5.cfg" from \ 150 \ mods \ depth \ to destination folder \ 150 \ mods \ maps \
It is intended (but not totally necessary) that the Depth Mod be used with the Depth Map file.
Enjoy!

Interesting concept, Depth.

I have quite a few thoughts.

In short, I like fewer command points, but there were far fewer habitable planets and an Antaran attack can just wipe you out.
With such low population, production, farming, and science can be strained without the right traits.
With low income, it was only a natural fit to go Lithovore Democracy and immediately help science and generate income.
As I started to out tech the other AI's, they seemed happy to not expand and stayed in 1-3 star systems the entire game.
Once you have the technology and a few battleships to defeat the planets guarded by monsters, it's pretty much game over.

The game was faster, but with an unkind placement of planets, there can be droughts of nothing to do.

I do have some recommendations.
For more details, if interested, please email me at kwahraps@yahoo.com if you wish to discuss further.

Thank you for making this.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any way to use this patch without DOSbox? I don't need DOSbox to run MOO2, it runs just fine without it.

I bought this game back in 1996, and still run the same Orion 95 (although I've done some tweaking to get it to run on every version of windows I've used over the years)

1.50 patch is made for the dos executable 'orion2.exe', not for the windows executable 'orion95.exe'.
so patch can work without dosbox on winxp, but for win 7,8,10 you'd need dosbox.

... like "template":"core", "template":"ai", "template":"map", "template":"ruleset" etc.

Hello. It's easy to add, but we need to be clearer about list of templates and criteria for assigning certain template, etc. Will contact you later today.

Hello, do you mean after Antares you got bombardment against an AI?
I'd like to see you savegame, if you kept it!

Last edited:
New mod "Long War" released!
This mod will make MOO2 games much longer. Capturing a planet requires better planning now and players cannot simply be rushed anymore.

Features:
  • Research is much slower and defenses are a lot stronger.
  • Some techs have been regrouped.
  • Many items have been adjusted for better use.
  • Races have been redesigned to be more interesting and to match their nature better.
  • Because technologies are harder to acquire, Antarans and space monster can be really dangerous now and losing a few colonies is not something rare.
  • To avoid ruining long games, the council vote has been postponed for a long time, only the first meeting may happen during a normal game.
  • The Atmospheric Renewer can clean up toxic planets and make them terraformable now.
  • Many tweaks and adjustments.
This mod can work well with other AI mods, especially AI ship design mods.

Attachments

• LW25.zip
    85.5 KB · Views: 103
Top Bottom