FV 432 APC

MatteM's unit modeling and retexturing workshop 2018-11-05

Oh one more thing, there might be units in the destroyers/light cruisers/heavy cruisers/battleships zips that are already included in the Regia Marina zip, I suggest looking at the Regia Marina zip first in those cases since they are probably more complete!

I won't be using these in my mod with a couple of exceptions, If you have questions about something please post them here :)

Oh, and here's a New Year's gift :D. Thank you so much, I'm excitedly disassembling the box. Posted destroyers in downloads, although it was clearly necessary to start with the Italian kit.
I'll wait for your comments until the evening and start posting the rest

"Regia Marina" completely duplicates the previous downloads. However, practically only this folder contains ready-made models?Then I will have to add a warning to previous downloads.

"Regia Marina" completely duplicates the previous downloads. However, practically only this folder contains ready-made models?Then I will have to add a warning to previous downloads.

Ah yes, that’s what I wanted yout help with primarily, sorting out what can be posted 😊, maybe you were a bit fast on the trigger 😁

maybe you were a bit fast on the trigger

Yes, I should have looked through the folders more carefully. Unfortunately, without the help of moderators, downloads are not deleted until I just posted a warning.
Ah yes, that’s what I wanted yout help with primarily, sorting out what can be posted

Hm... In general, as far as I understand, it is possible to immediately cut off models with dds files of megabyte size. Theoretically, it would be necessary to remove models without a "nominal nif file. However, even in the Regina folder, most units with nif files are "Sverdlov" and these files are of different sizes. In general, this is not a criterion.

Yes, I should have looked through the folders more carefully. Unfortunately, without the help of moderators, downloads are not deleted until I just posted a warning.

Hm... In general, as far as I understand, it is possible to immediately cut off models with dds files of megabyte size. Theoretically, it would be necessary to remove models without a "nominal nif file. However, even in the Regina folder, most units with nif files are "Sverdlov" and these files are of different sizes. In general, this is not a criterion.

Yes the sverdlov is the nif from the sverdlov cruiser I posted, it uses the same kfm, the nifs can easily be renamed. For downsizing the textures you can use paint.net or some other image processing software and just save it to DX1 and 512x512 dds will be abou 128kb in size, I noticed that some of the nifs were not properly rigged and fitted to the nodes. As I said it is a bit of a mess since I lost possibility to convert from the particular game

=or downsizing the textures you can use paint.net or some other image processing software =

Well, for now we are talking about separating more or less "processed" models from frankly raw ones. Then it will be possible to test models of the first type in the game (removing frankly unnecessary files) and then it will be possible to publish. At the same time, the "raw materials" can be laid out in a separate "do-it-yourself" package - after all, low-poly models of ships are rare. There's only one problem - it's likely to drag on.

Just remember that while the textures are compressed on your hard drive they do not remain compressed once they are in memory. And CIV4 is an old enough game that I am pretty sure that means RAM and not the stuff on your graphics card. So keep that in mind. Personally my rule is that 128x128 is good enough for most things.

Also, if you are good with 3D software you absolutely can cull huge models down to small ones without loosing much fidelity. When I was converting the ships for my naval module for RiFE some of the original files were almost 2MB but I got them down to ~200kb just by using clever hacks and deleting things you couldn't see anyway.

After all, nobody is ever going to get a proper close up look at any of those models as the scale in CIV is really small.

Just remember that while the textures are compressed on your hard drive they do not remain compressed once they are in memory. And CIV4 is an old enough game that I am pretty sure that means RAM and not the stuff on your graphics card. So keep that in mind. Personally my rule is that 128x128 is good enough for most things.

Also, if you are good with 3D software you absolutely can cull huge models down to small ones without loosing much fidelity. When I was converting the ships for my naval module for RiFE some of the original files were almost 2MB but I got them down to ~200kb just by using clever hacks and deleting things you couldn't see anyway.

After all, nobody is ever going to get a proper close up look at any of those models as the scale in CIV is really small.

Thanks for the info, I keep getting surprised about the game lack of optimization, but it is almost 20 years old 😄. Myself I have 32gb of ram and a decent rig so not too worried. My own personal rule is at least 256x256 for hull textures when it comes to ships, but I spend several hours on each one and like to zoom in a lot.

Thanks for the info, I keep getting surprised about the game lack of optimization, but it is almost 20 years old 😄. Myself I have 32gb of ram and a decent rig so not too worried. My own personal rule is at least 256x256 for hull textures when it comes to ships, but I spend several hours on each one and like to zoom in a lot.
Remember that CIV4 is an ancient x86 process that only works for 32 bit compilation which means that on windows it only uses up to 2GB of that RAM.

I though there was a patch for that?
Maybe. But you can't rely on everyone having it, especially if they play modded. And even that patch only gets the game up to the maximum of 4GB. And that has to fit all the units, textures and music. And that fills up quickly. Plus you have to consider loading times as well.

Top Bottom