FV 432 APC

MatteM's unit modeling and retexturing workshop 2018-11-05

That is good to hear.
I am curious, which units you will release next, and when all the things are available (even if it is much too moch for me to use it all).

I which every still active modder for Civ4 great success for the new year, and everyone here, if active or retired, a good new year 2022.

Well I am currently working on early submarines, I wish there was a way to copy and paste Excel-spreadsheets on here since I have all the info about the mod
in Excel. Any particular unit you are looking for?

I am also playing around with the interface, basically I want it to look good on modern screen resolutions, so I am using mostly 96 pixel buttons, which makes a big difference I think.

Modern issues or problems are also giving me some ideas, for example how to simulate the semiconductor shortage or energy crisis? Modern production facilities should run
on 5 percent capacity whithout electricity for example, power plants being high value targets.

Modern issues or problems are also giving me some ideas, for example how to simulate the semiconductor shortage or energy crisis?

Hmm. I'll probably act as Captain Obvious, but nevertheless. If you are interested not only in absolute ("not at all"), but also in relative scarcity, that is
1. Ready-made code. In Civ4 Reimagined, there is a mechanism for the dependence of the pace of unit construction, health indicators, etc. on the amount of available resources and the volume of the "economy". The fewer "copies" of the resource, the worse and vice versa. There is no isolated code, but the mod developer is present on the forum. And until he left us for a better world - offline
2. There is a "semi-finished" mod component, within which the construction of a unit requires a copy of the resource. However, exactly one, completely regardless of whether it is a spearman or an aircraft carrier. At the same time, resources accumulate - that is, in terms of energy, the code will require additional rework.

Hmm. I'll probably act as Captain Obvious, but nevertheless. If you are interested not only in absolute ("not at all"), but also in relative scarcity, that is
1. Ready-made code. In Civ4 Reimagined, there is a mechanism for the dependence of the pace of unit construction, health indicators, etc. on the amount of available resources and the volume of the "economy". The fewer "copies" of the resource, the worse and vice versa. There is no isolated code, but the mod developer is present on the forum. And until he left us for a better world - offline
2. There is a "semi-finished" mod component, within which the construction of a unit requires a copy of the resource. However, exactly one, completely regardless of whether it is a spearman or an aircraft carrier. At the same time, resources accumulate - that is, in terms of energy, the code will require additional rework.

Those are great ideas, too bad the developer has left. It always bothered me that it is enough if you have connection to only one resource and that is enough, it wasn't that way in Civ 3 if I remember correctly. Well concering energy basically electricity would be the one factor to work with. I'll check out that mod.

It always bothered me that it is enough if you have connection to only one resource and that is enough,
Given the fact that the late knight demanded seventy times more metal than a militia with a spear and a knife - and this is what shaped the appearance of armies - this is an extremely reasonable concern.

The topic "Reimagined" (with an active developer) is here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ4-reimagined.569959/#post-14332662

The mod-component with accumulated and expended resources here.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...sant-posh-python.497337/page-44#post-12851573
And its author (Platy), alas, left us to the mercy of evil fate.
At the same time, the developer left explanations about what needs to be done to use multiple copies.
"If you want to define more copies per unit, such as 3 Bananas per Monkey, then that requires (i) cannotTrain callback (ii) Long list of units and consumables, which means can be done ".
It is possible that someone who has looked into the thread will explain more.

Last edited:
Well I am currently working on early submarines, I wish there was a way to copy and paste Excel-spreadsheets on here since I have all the info about the mod
in Excel. Any particular unit you are looking for?

Submarines are not the units I am looking for at this moment, because for me they are all looking equal (but I am sure, your ones will be quite different). I was glad to receive your howitzer, and recently there is no special unit I am in great need. But, of course, some time ago I was interested in cýour Bandvägn modell - but still, this is not urgent. It is just the only item I could use right now, for all others, I would have to find a use first.

Are there news about your submarines? Im am curious about seeing that I am wrong and they are much more different than I cozld imagine.

Are there news about your submarines? Im am curious about seeing that I am wrong and they are much more different than I cozld imagine.

I have plans for several submarine classes:

Early/Coastal submarines (cannot enter ocean)
Seagoing submarines
Long range submarines
Improved submarines
Early war submarines
Late war submarines
Advanced submarines
Semi modern submarines
Modern submarines
Future submarines

Nuclear submarine
Improved nuclear submarine
Advanced nuclear submarine
Modern nuclear submarine
Future nuclear submarine

Missile submarine (SSBNs basically)
Improved missile submarine
Future missile submarine

So far I have only these early/coastal submarines:

earlysubs.jpg

Those very early or smaller coastal submarines are not easy to find models of, so I have only UB1 (textured into Bulgarian and Austro-hungarian versions), U5 and british C-class (made into japanese Ha-1 derivative).

I am currently adding glow maps to all the naval units which takes a lot of time but the results are really worth it, because the ships really are more visible on the map and not blending into the background as they
were before.

glow map fleets.png

MatteM any chance you could post your work? I really would love to use what you've made.

The plan is to release it all in a mod, but yeah it takes more time than I imagined first, basically because I keep finding new stuff and getting new ideas all the time,
please post a request if there is a unit in particular you are looking for, I probably won't be doing large packages, or posting everything unit by unit first, I have very
little leisure time nowadays, I already spend much more time looking at old warships in NifScope than I do looking at my wife so things are strained :lol:

Last edited:
Something tells me that this monster (40+ thousand polygons, type "Bars") you saw it and it didn't suit you. However, just in case...
https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/3d-model/pantera-bars-submarine

There is also an equally bizarre model of a British R-class submarine
https://grabcad.com/library/british-r-class-submarine-wwi-1

Thanks, I do have an account at grabcad, 3dcadbrowser requires you to upload stuff first, but I am mostly interested in the Bars-sub, looks awefully funny with the torps attached to the hull
I must say, do you have the ability to download it from that site? If you can get it I can post it, I suspect it doesn't have texture maps but for sub it isn't extremely important.

The plan is to release it all in a mod, but yeah it takes more time than I imagined first, basically because I keep finding new stuff and getting new ideas all the time,
please post a request if there is a unit in particular you are looking for, I probably won't be doing large packages, or posting everything unit by unit first, I have very
little leisure time nowadays, I already spend much more time looking at old warships in NifScope than I do looking at my wife so things are strained :lol:

Oh I totally understand. Always finding something I want to add, or change.

I was really interested in playing with those awesome looking Screw Frigates of yours to be honest. I really also look forward to your own mod, as it covers a really interesting era of naval history.

I must say, do you have the ability to download it from that site?
Yes, the model is also problematic in the sense of downloading. I can't download it. The nuance is that there are also very simplified models on the site. As an example.
https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/3d-model/kilo-russia-submarine
And I assume that both you and this site have a lot of suitable ones.
The problem is mainly in the required list of file formats.
The question of how hard/ easy it is solved with the help of the same online converters interests me very much. Maybe I'm underestimating the problem.

Last edited:
I did a paddle frigate with full animations for my FFH art module. I figure you could extract that and use it as a base.

Top Bottom