[NFP] Maya First Look

No mountain adjacency bonus for the observatory, instead of the plantation and plantation adjacency bonus.

Edit:

Knipselobs.PNG

Last edited:
So I gather the observatory doesn't get the traditional campus bonuses (Ie from mountains).

This is going to be be a very builder heavy civ to get off the ground.

I actually really love that we've got a Maya portrayal which doesn't have anything to do with natural disasters (wasn't expecting them to because of no GS-only restriction) or a gimmicky calendar mechanic :)

corn confimed

Interesting take, finally a tall science civ for peaceful wallers that like small empires - which will be really easy to defend with the UA and UU. And some puzzle to solve in mountainous regions. It will just be a bad civ on archipelago maps though, as you won't get many cities within 6 tiles of your capital and your capital itself seems to be without bonus, amenity aside.

I wonder if this leads to always go builder first, as your capital will not grow much without that farms. And every other city better has a builder nearby when founded as well... Without the capital bonus it's just 2 housing, right?

Lady Six Sky is really no surprise and looks ok-ish. The civ colors are quite nice though.

Okay her LUA is that cities within 6 tiles of the capital get +10% yields, and then the rest -15% yield. That's not as dramatic as it sounded from the narration. I was expecting a distant cities to be non-functional. But that means your first few cities will start stronger.
Including the capital itself.

So I gather the observatory doesn't get the traditional campus bonuses (Ie from mountains).

This is going to be be a very builder heavy civ to get off the ground.
It doesn't, which does make sense since the Yucatan is pretty flat.

I'm loving how Lady Six Sky turned out!
And no 2012 Apocalypse related bonuses makes me glad! I was worried the Firaxis design team was watching too much 2012 and Apocalypto. :D

Finally, Pacal gets to rest after two consecutive games.

Interesting design. No housing from fresh water means that as soon as you get to pop 2, you'll get the growth penalty. Builders/farms suddenly become more important early on, funny how we had the discussion on how useful farms are, you'll definitely want to build them with the Maya. No mountain adjacency means you're more reliant on RNG to find plantation resources, but it probably balances out for the most part. The incentive to cluster your cities is also unique. Oh, and the archer seems really OP, very good for defending early on Deity. Overall I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Very interesting. Another terrifying early game archer for the rankings. :D I love the unique city placement aspect. -15% seems bad to distant cities, but let's see how it plays out in real time with the lack of need for fresh water.
Usually I use ranged units first to soften up my enemies for the melee units to finish off. Looks like I'll need to switch that around for optimal effect.

Top Bottom