1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Maya First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, May 14, 2020.

1. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Tamar has been pretty decent for a while now, but people just “lolGeorgia” because it’s what’s expected.

(As an aside, Georgia is an S tier in Music, and given that really any Civ can win Deity, that becomes a factor).

I can see that I’m not going to change those minds that are already made up, so I will chalk this one up as more Lady Six Sky for me :D

I am excited!

2. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

So true :lol: But in this case yeah, they are bad.

3. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

This is a point. There are legitimately three civs in the game I won't play because of their music: Australia, Brazil, and Kongo. :p Georgia's polyphonic theme, on the other hand, is exquisite, particularly "Shen Khar Venakhi."

Kjimmet, Mediocrity and IvoryPavane like this.
  4. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Adore all of Georgia’s music but particularly Shen Khar!

+50 IvoryPavane points! You can spend them at all bad retailers

Guandao, Mediocrity and Zaarin like this.
  5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I kinda liked the new observatory district.

6. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I imagine most wars when playing the Maya to be about making way for my core cities, every tile counts, and if somebody forward settles you It's a city that's getting razed.

Yeah not at all, BUT despite the criticism on the leader styles on civ 6, the animation itself is top notch, and that takes times, It's not the first time they use placeholder models and WIP to feature leaders before, I have confidence the animations will be done by release (if they aren't already )

thanks for posting that! :)

Guandao, Zaarin and Mediocrity like this.
  7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, attacking close city states would also be practically a must. I almost never do that.

8. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Yeah and if that CS is not in the perfect spot it could force us to rethink the best placement for the neighbooring cities. and Honestly I'm not even mad that's clever design from Firaxis, they've got us thinking about the absolute best city planning and layout to get the best of intense agriculture and huge cities...If that's not the perfect flavour for playing Mayans don't know what is.

Jay247 likes this.
  9. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Norway went from a rather lackluster civ into one of the strongest civs simply by changing how raiding work so it don't take much to change the balance.

If large cities are the next thing to be buffed civs such as Kehmer will likely be considered significantly stronger.

Casworon likes this.
  10. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Simply making some buildings provide yield per pop instead of flat yields could do it. For example, if libraries gave 1 science plus an additional 0.2 per pop. Just throwing out numbers here, but that could make tall far more appealing than wide.

Jay247 likes this.
  11. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 Prince

Two more thoughts:

1) Early UU + Early UD = Early Monumentality Golden Age? Maybe invest in a couple of holy sites early to faith buy builders for your second wave of cities...

2) What happens if Maya become suzerain to Mohenjo Daro city state?

tedhebert likes this.
  12. Jay247

Jay247 Chieftain

as a inca player i always end up with huge cities, but man if they DO buff tall, my inca game is gonna be through the roof lol ;)

13. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 Prince

I think we all know that feeling where you start a game, plop down your capital in an awesome place, start scouting nearby, and find that a city state is placed in the precise location that it wastes huge patches of land you would've loved to settle.

It might not just be about capturing city states... as Maya, you may very well want to burn them to the ground.

14. Caprikel

Caprikel Warlord

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    The production buff update and coastal buff update were both direct results of fan suggestions and requests, so as long as we continue to request buffs for tall, along with suggestions, I think we'll eventually get it in one of the free patches. Alternatively it could also work as part of one of the game modes, maybe something that adds a system that nerfs ICS and buffs large cities.

Denkt likes this.
  15. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

It cannot be! The forbidden bonus! Never speak of this again.

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  16. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 Prince

Maybe the suzerainity bonus is being changed? I think it's generally looked upon as being one of the weaker suzerain bonuses just because it's something you'd hate to make use of only to lose later on.

17. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

Georgia's actually my second favorite civ.

I love the challenge of keeping distant city-states converted to my religion so I can get double envoys.

18. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Quoted for truth! This civ will probably handle Deity like a champ, no problem. A careful player might be able to fight off certain aggressive civs (even the ones with powerful early units) with just 3 archers! If they grab the top right promotion while inside the city for +10 dmg, that is like over 40 dmg. I think that would 1 shot a warrior. That's wild! Just likely need a warrior or two to block and provide zone of control to not get surrounded and pick off the rest.

People that probably struggle with deity should try this civ out for the first 50-100 turns on something like Emperor or Immortal first, to get the hang of the city placement and mechanics, then make a new game on deity and see if you can beat it. This civ is MADE perfectly for Turtling Strategies. Early war defense is the toughest part of deity, especially if Ghengis Khan or Alexander is your neighbor.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  19. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

In Civ 5 Ethiopia was a turtle civ with a crazy home defense buff. I wonder if they will be similar to Maya in that regard? Kind of like how Persia and Scythia are kinda like a combo.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  20. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

The warmonger I am, I would not play that civ aggressively nor would I try domination. That said, if there is a city state inside your ring and you need room for more cities..... They gotta go.