[NFP] Maya First Look

The main reason why people say that Georgia is bad is because everyone started to say that Georgia is bad.

Tamar has been pretty decent for a while now, but people just “lolGeorgia” because it’s what’s expected.

(As an aside, Georgia is an S tier in Music, and given that really any Civ can win Deity, that becomes a factor).

I can see that I’m not going to change those minds that are already made up, so I will chalk this one up as more Lady Six Sky for me :D

I am excited!

(As an aside, Georgia is an S tier in Music, and given that really any Civ can win Deity, that becomes a factor).
This is a point. There are legitimately three civs in the game I won't play because of their music: Australia, Brazil, and Kongo. :p Georgia's polyphonic theme, on the other hand, is exquisite, particularly "Shen Khar Venakhi."

This is a point. There are legitimately three civs in the game I won't play because of their music: Australia, Brazil, and Kongo. :p Georgia's polyphonic theme, on the other hand, is exquisite, particularly "Shen Khar Venakhi."

Adore all of Georgia’s music but particularly Shen Khar!

+50 IvoryPavane points! You can spend them at all bad retailers

"Running out of steam"??? The malus is a flat -15% across all cities that are too far away, whether that number is seven, seventeen or seventy. You can definitely invade with the Mayans if you want to, even if the new cities wouldn't be as good as the core of cities around your capital.

I imagine most wars when playing the Maya to be about making way for my core cities, every tile counts, and if somebody forward settles you It's a city that's getting razed.

I'm pretty sure these animations are done using motion capture tech. With the studio shut down they may not be able to capture new animations for leaders.

In any case leader animations are terrible for gameplay flow and I turn them off.

Yeah not at all, BUT despite the criticism on the leader styles on civ 6, the animation itself is top notch, and that takes times, It's not the first time they use placeholder models and WIP to feature leaders before, I have confidence the animations will be done by release (if they aren't already )

Nope, they don't.
The animation process is described around 17:00

Maya will be considerably stronger if they make population and large cities more valuable and that is something that civilization VI have been criticized for. Stuff like farms and neighbourhoods are considered pretty bad right now.

thanks for posting that! :)

I imagine most wars when playing the Maya to be about making way for my core cities, every tile counts, and if somebody forward settles you It's a city that's getting razed.

Yeah, attacking close city states would also be practically a must. I almost never do that.

Yeah, attacking close city states would also be practically a must. I almost never do that.

Yeah and if that CS is not in the perfect spot it could force us to rethink the best placement for the neighbooring cities. and Honestly I'm not even mad that's clever design from Firaxis, they've got us thinking about the absolute best city planning and layout to get the best of intense agriculture and huge cities...If that's not the perfect flavour for playing Mayans don't know what is.

Norway went from a rather lackluster civ into one of the strongest civs simply by changing how raiding work so it don't take much to change the balance.

If large cities are the next thing to be buffed civs such as Kehmer will likely be considered significantly stronger.

Simply making some buildings provide yield per pop instead of flat yields could do it. For example, if libraries gave 1 science plus an additional 0.2 per pop. Just throwing out numbers here, but that could make tall far more appealing than wide.

Two more thoughts:

1) Early UU + Early UD = Early Monumentality Golden Age? Maybe invest in a couple of holy sites early to faith buy builders for your second wave of cities...

2) What happens if Maya become suzerain to Mohenjo Daro city state?

as a inca player i always end up with huge cities, but man if they DO buff tall, my inca game is gonna be through the roof lol ;)

Yeah and if that CS is not in the perfect spot it could force us to rethink the best placement for the neighbooring cities. and Honestly I'm not even mad that's clever design from Firaxis, they've got us thinking about the absolute best city planning and layout to get the best of intense agriculture and huge cities...If that's not the perfect flavour for playing Mayans don't know what is.

I think we all know that feeling where you start a game, plop down your capital in an awesome place, start scouting nearby, and find that a city state is placed in the precise location that it wastes huge patches of land you would've loved to settle.

It might not just be about capturing city states... as Maya, you may very well want to burn them to the ground.

The production buff update and coastal buff update were both direct results of fan suggestions and requests, so as long as we continue to request buffs for tall, along with suggestions, I think we'll eventually get it in one of the free patches. Alternatively it could also work as part of one of the game modes, maybe something that adds a system that nerfs ICS and buffs large cities.

It cannot be! The forbidden bonus! Never speak of this again.

Maybe the suzerainity bonus is being changed? I think it's generally looked upon as being one of the weaker suzerain bonuses just because it's something you'd hate to make use of only to lose later on.

The main reason why people say that Georgia is bad is because everyone started to say that Georgia is bad.

Georgia's actually my second favorite civ.

I love the challenge of keeping distant city-states converted to my religion so I can get double envoys.

Based on some computations the most cities the maya can have within 6 tiles of their capital is 9 - because of the 3 tile exclusion zone around a city, you can't layer them 2 ranks deep (you'd need 8 tile radius for that.) Building a ring of cities with 5 tiles between them and the capital gives you 9, although it's radially asymmetric. Basically just place a city at that distance and then go every 3 tiles around the hexagon. You can move some of the cities inwards 1-2 tiles, but you cannot fit 10 cities AFAIK.
EDIT: you can get 12, i was being hasty and didn't play around enough before I posted.
But that's still a lot of cities.
View attachment 555633

The seowon is probably better overall combined with Three Kingdoms. But maya ALSO has rock solid defense - it's hard to overstate the incredible ability to have UNIQUE ARCHERS that deal both more damage near the capital and more damage to wounded units. Korea relies on raw tech rate to defend, but that only gets you so far on deity. Actually having essentially a 33-38 strength archer is crazy. It gives you a lot of safety you can exploit to get your 8-9 cities up.

Quoted for truth! This civ will probably handle Deity like a champ, no problem. A careful player might be able to fight off certain aggressive civs (even the ones with powerful early units) with just 3 archers! If they grab the top right promotion while inside the city for +10 dmg, that is like over 40 dmg. I think that would 1 shot a warrior. That's wild! Just likely need a warrior or two to block and provide zone of control to not get surrounded and pick off the rest.

People that probably struggle with deity should try this civ out for the first 50-100 turns on something like Emperor or Immortal first, to get the hang of the city placement and mechanics, then make a new game on deity and see if you can beat it. This civ is MADE perfectly for Turtling Strategies. Early war defense is the toughest part of deity, especially if Ghengis Khan or Alexander is your neighbor.

In Civ 5 Ethiopia was a turtle civ with a crazy home defense buff. I wonder if they will be similar to Maya in that regard? Kind of like how Persia and Scythia are kinda like a combo.

I think we all know that feeling where you start a game, plop down your capital in an awesome place, start scouting nearby, and find that a city state is placed in the precise location that it wastes huge patches of land you would've loved to settle.

It might not just be about capturing city states... as Maya, you may very well want to burn them to the ground.

The warmonger I am, I would not play that civ aggressively nor would I try domination. That said, if there is a city state inside your ring and you need room for more cities..... They gotta go.

Top Bottom