• By the Bananas, Dyes, and Cocoa
  • By the three Cocoa
  • By the two Cocoa and a Bananas

I think I count 3 +6, right?

• By the Bananas, Dyes, and Cocoa
  • By the three Cocoa
  • By the two Cocoa and a Bananas
Yup, I've edited my OP.

The point is you can imagine 5 observatories packed in there for a raw adjacency bonus of +7 each. With Natural Philosophy, libraries and your +10% yield you get to 100 science per turn from 5 cities in the Classical era. The gold will also be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Replace:
+2 Science for each adjacent Geothermal Fissure (GS only)
+2 Science for each adjacent Reef (GS only)
+1 Science for each adjacent Mountain
+0.5 Science for each adjacent Rainforest

With:
+2 Science for each adjacent Plantation
+0.5 Science for each adjacent Farm

Personally, I find that the Geothermal Fissure and Reef adjacencies come along very rarely in the games I play. And obliviously building Farms is well within the player's control (with certain terrain limitations, of course) which make getting a +1 to +3 Campus up and running fairly straightforward.
Are we sure the "GS only" bonuses are removed?
They could have been left out in that FL simply because GS was not loaded.

Are we sure the "GS only" bonuses are removed?
They could have been left out in that FL simply because GS was not loaded.
We are sure that GS was loaded, because the Pamukkale (GS) adjacency was mentioned for the obesrvatory. Additionally world congress icon and the accumulation icon for the reworked strategic resource system can be seen.

And floodplains on grassland.

I think one of the biggest malus for observatories that nobody seems to have aknowledge now is that, since you get adjacency bonuses from farms and plantations, you will have more difficulties to have them because plantations and farms needs to be in your empire. I mean, lots of time, I had my adjacency bonuses from mountains and reefs that were out of my empire; here, with the Mayas, you'll have to build your plantations and farms first (so have the surrounding in your empire) to have the adjacency bonus. Maybe plantations and farms from neighboring empires, but in the beginning, without them, plantation resources will not give any adjacency bonus. So, yeah, having the adjacency based on improvement is somewhat a big malus (but since builders are the first thing you'l build in your cities for the farm housing, you might too enjoy the builder to build plantations).

I think one of the biggest malus for observatories that nobody seems to have aknowledge now is that, since you get adjacency bonuses from farms and plantations, you will have more difficulties to have them because plantations and farms needs to be in your empire. I mean, lots of time, I had my adjacency bonuses from mountains and reefs that were out of my empire; here, with the Mayas, you'll have to build your plantations and farms first (so have the surrounding in your empire) to have the adjacency bonus. Maybe plantations and farms from neighboring empires, but in the beginning, without them, plantation resources will not give any adjacency bonus. So, yeah, having the adjacency based on improvement is somewhat a big malus (but since builders are the first thing you'l build in your cities for the farm housing, you might too enjoy the builder to build plantations).

Yes, it will require a bit more city planning than your average Civ, but I suppose that’s what they were going for.

The flip side though is that you free those mountains for Holy Site adjacencies instead of making the choice, if you are going for faith. Also consistency because you are in control of farms and districts (and plantations less so, but with a bias you are going to get a few). Whereas a mountain is less certain unless you are the Inca, and you might have to hunt for it

Last edited:

Certainly an issue. On the flip side, observatories can be placed in open terrain so all six surrounding tiles can be worked or have districts on them. Mountains are pretty much dead tiles.

The only risk is poor placement. But assuming the AI has a build preference for observatories and archers, Lady Six Sky is going to be a real AI devil. They don't need xbows - deity bonus+near capital+wounded target is already 42 strength.

Bah... she is going to build 12 catapults and nothing else.

also remember with the new resources that might up the plantation options

also remember with the new resources that might up the plantation options

Neither of the new resources use the Plantation but maybe there is another one coming.

Plantations are already by far the most common improvement for Luxuries, accounting for about 50% of them. Maya are good to go!

Neither of the new resources use the Plantation but maybe there is another one coming.

Plantations are already by far the most common improvement for Luxuries, accounting for about 50% of them. Maya are good to go!

i thought Honey was a plantation?

The Observatory not gaining reef or geothermal adjacency was likely either intentional or an oversight. Generic campuses will still get the bonuses, don't worry.

The Observatory not gaining reef or geothermal adjacency was likely either intentional or an oversight. Generic campuses will still get the bonuses, don't worry.

Is there an option that isn't intentional or oversight? That seems to cover everything.

Well usually you learn from observatories by observing the sky; not looking under the sea or the at the Earth's crust.
I'm sure it was intentional.

Well usually you learn from observatories by observing the sky; not looking under the sea or the at the Earth's crust.
I'm sure it was intentional.

That's true... but then, why no Mountain adjacency? I mean, an observatory would perfectly have a better "astronomical" output if the astronomers would just have to go on a 2-day trip to go a little higher to see the stars...
Plus, I don't see why plantations would then, following this logic, allow astronomers to be more potents.
Except if you consider plantations & farms as open land with no light pollution, making it better to study the sky? But then, why do observatories would have better adjacency from districts that produce light pollution?

Top Bottom