[NFP] Maya First Look

haha you have a point, still today I don't know nothing about these women leaders of Britain and France. :crazyeye::lol:

Wait... Are you saying you know nothing about Big Vicky... hem, I mean, Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, Imperatrice of India and Defender of the Faith?

Oh, boy, you have so much to learn! It's fantastic! Victoria was basically one of the most influential queen of England (and she was a true queen by law). If she has been alive in 1914 the WWI would have never started because 3 belligerants were their grandsons (and also because England would probably have dominated al Europe under her rule).

Seriously, just look it up because Victoria is one of the best example of a successful woman during a mostly patriarchal time/society.

IIRC, Catherine D'Medici was an important historical figure and the de facto ruler of France, even if she couldn't rule the country in name.

Wait... Are you saying you know nothing about Big Vicky... hem, I mean, Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, Imperatrice of India and Defender of the Faith?

Oh, boy, you have so much to learn! It's fantastic! Victoria was basically one of the most influential queen of England (and she was a true queen by law). If she has been alive in 1914 the WWI would have never started because 3 belligerants were their grandsons (and also because England would probably have dominated al Europe under her rule).

Seriously, just look it up because Victoria is one of the best example of a successful woman during a mostly patriarchal time/society.
That I know, for sure, sorry, I don't speak correctly. I don't know nothing about Eleanor of Aquitaine and Catherine de Medici. :mischief:

I don't know nothing about Eleanor of Aquitaine
That's surprising. She's well know for her "Court of Love" and creating the notion of courtly love (which is what most people actually mean when they say "chivalry," which is a combat code not a social etiquette), as well as for her patronage of troubadours. Her sons John and Richard were also kind of a big deal in England.

And her relationships with her husbands, especially Henry II, were famously, uh, "fraught" is a polite word for it.

IIRC, Catherine D'Medici was an important historical figure and the de facto ruler of France, even if she couldn't rule the country in name.
She also beat Elizabeth I in combat by rallying French Protestants and Catholics against English invaders at Le Havre. Elizabeth I, meanwhile, failed in most of her foreign wars (she did beat the Spanish Armada with the help of skilled admirals though).

Interestingly, Catherine de Medici’s son came closest to marrying Elizabeth I of all her suitors. She liked him and called him her “frog” and even wrote a moving poem about him.

So far I’m glad to see people have been less mean towards Lady Six Sky than towards Catherine de Medici.

The problem with Evita Perón is, she never was a President of Argentina, and the other wife of Peron, Isabel Perón, isn't so appealing.
If Argentina any day become a Civ, I will would prefer Perón it self. Or Bartolomé Mitre, because he fought Paraguayan war and also finish the civil war was going on in Argentina since the independance movement.
Also, if one day Argentina become a Civ, also I don't like the idea of San Martín for the same reason a idea of Evita Perón, both never beome State Chief of Argentina.
Argentina have a lack of good name to be a civ leader, that the why I guess they don't will appear in this game soon.

That's not really a problem. Evita might not have ruled the nation but she's still an spiritual leader... The problems i have are that the Perons... weren't exactly the best people and unlike Atilla or Genghis Kahn, they are still recent enough so their messiness is still in living memory (not to mention the current messiness of the current peronist aligned politicians)

But yeah, a big part of being a leader in Civ 6 is more about being iconic or distinct. Evita became an argentinian icon like the also non-ruler Gandhi so she'd be perfect in that sense imo

The problem with Catherine de Medici is that she never was the true King of France (because we didn't allowed queen at this time). She only was the regent and queen-mother. And yet, she's been chosen.
If someone who wasn't the official ruler had an true impact of their politics time, then they're worthy of inclusion.

Catherine D'Medici and Eleanor are among
my favorite Civ choices ever and if i could keep them forever leaders of France, i would

Catherine D'Medici and Eleanor are among
my favorite Civ choices ever and if i could keep them forever leaders of France, i would

I love Eleanor and she's one of my favourite France's leaders ever.

For Catherine... meh. I feel that her LUA is somewhat a stretch, like they needed a leader with a LUA tied with espionnage and they needed an woman as a leader so they went to her... But if you wanted an espionnage related leader for France? Go for Luis XI or Richelieu. But do you want to keep with Catherine de Medici because she's a big personality and was a good regent? Okay, but don't reduce her only to her squadron of damsels. Her religious influence was way more important. She was the one trying to impose the utterly ridiculous and stupid concept of "religious tolerance" in the Very And Righteous Catholic Kingdom Of France. I mean, her personality as a jealous, acrimonious person is probably wrong and she was way more a diplomat than an intrigue woman.

like the also non-ruler Gandhi

As the Nuke-Gandhi is the most iconic Civ from Civilization since ever, we always will have reason to choice no de facto rulers of nation in this game, you have the point!:thumbsup:

I love Eleanor and she's one of my favourite France's leaders ever.

For Catherine... meh. I feel that her LUA is somewhat a stretch, like they needed a leader with a LUA tied with espionnage and they needed an woman as a leader so they went to her... But if you wanted an espionnage related leader for France? Go for Luis XI or Richelieu. But do you want to keep with Catherine de Medici because she's a big personality and was a good regent? Okay, but don't reduce her only to her squadron of damsels. Her religious influence was way more important. She was the one trying to impose the utterly ridiculous and stupid concept of "religious tolerance" in the Very And Righteous Catholic Kingdom Of France. I mean, her personality as a jealous, acrimonious person is probably wrong and she was way more a diplomat than an intrigue woman.

Maybe it's wrong but it's sure as hell entertaining. And the theory back then (besides the sexists going "tHeY ONly PicKED hER BEcaUSe shE IS a WOmaN") is that.... Ed Beach actually stans for the queen, given she was in his wargame.

Maybe it's wrong but it's sure as hell entertaining. And the theory back then (besides the sexists going "tHeY ONly PicKED hER BEcaUSe shE IS a WOmaN") is that.... Ed Beach actually stans for the queen, given she was in his wargame.
No mistake, Ed Beach has a big thing for CdM.

I had read about her before Civ VI and thought she sounded pretty badass, but mostly in the context of how she allegedly engaged in black magic and was an expert poisoner to rid the court of potential rivals.
That's actually why I'm a little disappointed we didn't get Wu Zetian in "big personality" Civ6, because she had a very similar reputation as someone who manipulated, intrigued, and assassinated her way into power. (And I may not have chosen her for France, but I absolutely love CdM's in-game persona. She's a delight to interact with.)

I really love CDM as well. When the original Civ VI came out, her inclusion prompted me to go read about her history.

And honestly, while I do love a returning Civ (looking at you Miss Dido), I really like when they pick new leaders so I can go off and learn more about them.

And there isn’t much more anyone can say about the animations in Civ VI but they are truly sensational. Whenever anyone doubts the expressiveness of the Civ leaders, I show them Cleopatra running her fingers down her neck as she sizes you up. Superlative.

Unfortunately for female leaders it’s always difficult to tell how much such rumors are simply sexist bile by political enemies and how much is true. For Catherine there is fairly strong evidence that her closest tie to poisoning was helping smoking take off, and legends of Catherine using poisoned books (!?) among other things to rid herself of enemies were almost certainly untrue. She was fascinated by the occult though. As for Wu, it’s hard to tell if she really killed her daughter to pin it on the empress. Wu was reviled by certain quarters of the population near the end of her rule. I would say though that it’s fair to argue both leaders had to manipulate their way to power—they had an inferior social status and had to bend various rules to get their power (Hatshepsut did the same along ancestral-religious grounds).

Like Zaarin, I really like Catherine’s in game portrayal. She is charming, powerful, and threatening. Her defeat line and the way it’s delivered is also a nice touch—it’s cliche to see leaders screaming in anger or bowing their head in deference upon defeat, and far more interesting to see Catherine a bit jaded by the whole ordeal. The defeat line may have been inspired by her line to her son (quoted in the Civilopedia) which had a similar tone. :)

On topic, I wouldn’t mind seeing Lady Six Sky lead the Maya again in future (certainly among the better attested female Maya rulers), but I would be happy to see Yuk’noom the Great as well.

Don't forget Lady Xoc for a future edition of Civ.

She has the "Xoc" value (note that in Mayan orthography using the Latin alphabet, "x" makes a "sh" sound).
I think Yohl Ik'nal is next in line for female Maya leader.

Just in case anyone was wondering (because I was), "Within 6 tiles from the city centre" concerning Maya's ability, it means that there can be five tiles between the city centre and the new city and you still get the 10%, the new city centre being the 6th tile counted from the first tile next to the capital. It's not what I would call "within" but hey.. : P

Last edited:
Just in case anyone was wondering (because I was), "Within 6 tiles from the city centre" concerning Maya's ability, it means that there can be six tiles between the city centre and the new city and you still get the 10%. It's not what I would call "within" but hey.. : P

In its literal sense, "within" means both "with" six tiles and "in"side six. So it does make sense.

How do the Mayans look? My Steam had some issues, so I'm still downloading. :( I wanted to try Lady Six Sky.

In its literal sense, "within" means both "with" six tiles and "in"side six. So it does make sense.

How do the Mayans look? My Steam had some issues, so I'm still downloading. :( I wanted to try Lady Six Sky.

Yeah I mistook the numbering upon writing actually. I did it correct in the game but got it wrong when I wrote it here.

I'm loving the Mayans and they make it very easy for me to play my turtle style. But I do find it difficult that you can't make stretched empires and have to work in a blob. Farms are brilliant to get good housing going, but production is an issue. Science, however, goes FAST especially with the 100% adjacency bonus for campuses.

Top Bottom