1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mayor problems for team Roadkill

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Killroyan, Dec 13, 2011.

1. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

Cree (just played)
    Lkendter (up)
    Pholkhereo (on deck)
    Killroyan

I'm only in 3 SGs, and two come up at the same time - LOL.
    Since they are both in BC should be easy enough.

2. Killroyan

Killroyan Chieftain

We could also build up an army and wait for the next GP to be born and conquer a capital :)

3. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

The odds are good that an AI will settle a GP in there capitol.
    I would hate to waste a free GP from the AI. I think getting a decent number of AI settled GP will really help us.

4. CreeDakota

CreeDakota Chieftain

Darius is the one who built stonehedge. I think it is likley that he will shrine buddism with the prophet he gets.

I think we should try and steal his shrine city, perhaps planning to use our Greatperson number 5 as its mayor. Then just milk the war with him until we get a general and finish him. Persia only has one city right now!

5. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

1725 BC
    We missed connecting the gems. While they are on a river, then river doesn't connect to our trade route. I don't have a spare worker to fix this now.

Both cities still lack even paper cut outs. We really need the copper city to secure a metal source.

I fire both scientists. We have the great spy coming home to give us the third city. I don't want to lose the copper site to generate another GP. I've suffered too many games with no metals.

We need cottages and granaries, so my first tech research is pottery at break even.

Barring something unexpected my builds are warrior (fortify capitol), settler (copper site), warrior (fortify city #2) and worker.

1700 BC
    Not sure why I didn't get to move the warrior north of Edrine. I cancel future movement to get him toward the copper site.
    (IT) Sury demands writing. I don't want to annoy AIs this early, so I give it to him.

1650 BC
    While whipping the settler is very temping, with the great spy so far away it isn't worth it.
    (IT) Pottery is done. I start research on Mathematics. We have already talked about building Hanging Gardens.

1600 BC
    (IT) China demands Alphabet. That is too much to give away right now, so I take the diplomatic penalty.

1300 BC
    I am handing it over with the settler, spy and warrior NOT moved. We can debate the exact location of the city.
    Blue grabs 4 food resources, and copper 1st ring.
    Red grabs 3 food resources, copper pillage proof, and less overlap with Edirne.
    Yellow grabs 3 food resources, copper 1st ring and a new food resource of wheat.
    There are too many permutations to work with for this spot.

Summary:
    Math completes next turn along with the worker in the capitol. We can talk about an immediate jump to grab Hanging Gardens.
    I have a worker starting to road between Edirne and Istanbul. We need to start improving the economy. Not to mention all cities connecting to copper.

Cree
    Lkendter (just played)
    Pholkhereo (up)
    Killroyan (on deck)

6. CreeDakota

CreeDakota Chieftain

yeah I didnt road the gems on purpose, I sent the worker to Edrine instead, I thought the food there faster was more urgent than happy. We are still below the cap I imagine.

I like yellow as the city site, a bit more commerce and gaining and extra healthy will help eventually. I would be ok with 1W of yellow too.

I see 6 turns until next great person for city number 4. Great!

7. CreeDakota

CreeDakota Chieftain

do we want to do any trades? Masonry for something from Saladin maybe?

Also we have 2 settled great spies. If we can spare the hammers a spy would likely pay off. I would target Darius for EP's

8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i have it; will not be able to post a plan until tomorrow though

9. Killroyan

Killroyan Chieftain

What about yellow spot 2SW? Riverside wheat, copper in the second ring (I know), but 2 hills and 4 food resources and pushing onto English borders. We are getting boxed in though pretty fast :p

Capitol gets next GP in 6 so I propose, settler, warrior, hammam and Hanging Gardens for instant bigger cities.

10. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

Don't forget this variant rule. I don't want to settle close to any AI city. Going to hurt domination chances.

11. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

alrightey ~

so, for tech path, if we're still going towards the upper part of teh tree, I will continue that trend, aiming for the GLibrary.

for builds, I'm thinking deflinitely more workers, and perhaps getting our military up a bit. Still feeling vulnerable, esp if we're going to be settling close to the AIs (and building up penalties)

I would say okay on the Hanging Gardens, but don't wonder if there's not better places to spend our hammers. In any case, i don't intend to play so many turns that i'll need to make that decision, so . . .

for settlement, what about 1N of red dot ~ we settle on the ice, thus getting rid of a terrible tile int he BFC, lose a deer in the south, but gain one in the north, and we're not settling on the copper, thus keeping a high hammer tile for development.

thoughts? will probably play tomorrow morning and post, so speak now :D

12. CreeDakota

CreeDakota Chieftain

I am fine with ice tile as copper city placement.

what about city 4 though? would be nice if we could get ironworking before we place that.

As for tech it all hinges on the question of when do we want to war? I suggest attacking Darius pre longbows so construction may be a good tech to target.

As for wonders I prefer the stone ones unless we can find some marble. For example on this map Notre dame is actually a good wonder.

13. Killroyan

Killroyan Chieftain

The only two marble wonders I really want are the great library and the national epic for obvious reasons :p 1N of red spot is ok.

14. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

I played up until t125.

Started off with city 3:
    Spoiler :

right away, they're not happy:
    Spoiler :

After Math, i decided to heed Cree's advice, and head towards Constr. We're pretty much boxed in here. City 4, i think, should go to the NE of Istanbul ~ there's another ice tile that nabs us three food, but just misses gems. We could grab the gems giving up a food. Sadly, i dont have the photo of the spot.

but we also got this:
    Spoiler :

I didn't revolt pending team discussion. I'm just thinking for now, to hold off on revolting.

I made two trades:
    Spoiler :

sadly, we have no iron :(

Stuck in and whipped a monument at our second city, but the new one needs to have it whipped next turn for a pop. At istanbul, after the worker was done, i built a warrior for garrison duty at our next city (he's up there now watchign out for any settlers ~ we also popped a GE who's hanging out, waiting a city to preside over). Then, i started on the hamman to let istanbul grow until 6 before we whip it again for a settler.

I also went 0 research for a bit, but we're now at 100, with Constr due in about 5 turns. I really think war is in our future, and i think persia may be a likely target for us.

finally, everyone hates china (had a few requests to cancel our deals with him) and he's the next one to get ABCs (maybe 10 turns or so).

Attached Files:

15. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

I wonder how fast we will get nailed on the tech trading cap. Those cheap techs may make trading difficult later.

One challenge on this map is trade routes. We need to get Ankara on the trade net to both use the copper, and help the economy.

I would like to whip Ankara now IMO. We need those border expansions.

The last spot we can naturally claim. We need it quick before Persia steals it.

I agree we are boxed, and stuck with an early war. The trick is we need to generate some more GP quickly so that we have the right to claim more cities.

Cree (on deck)
    Lkendter
    Pholkhereo (just played)
    Killroyan (up)

16. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

iirc, hitting enter will put the one turn into the monument to get it to be a 1pop whip. I may be a turn behind, though, and it could go now for 1pop.

also, i agree on the trading and agonized a bit about WFYABTA, but just felt that we needed to get some of these techs fairly quickly. myst for monuments, IW to maybe settle city 4 there, med for monasteries and culture.

17. CreeDakota

CreeDakota Chieftain

so I think we all agree on a war with Darius in the next 500 years or so. I favor an earlier declare over having an overwhelming force. In our rules variant a long drawn out war is not really horrible as we need the great generals anyway.

Cats with axes and spears is probably the best military we can hope for. So I dont think we need more tech to do it. The issue is really hammers for military and Great People to be able to take cities.

I am ok with the ice site for city four. A shame to waste the gems though. Perhaps we scout out that little bit of Fog by the sheep? Maybe there is some good food up there? Anyway food trumps gems on this map.

Great person Number five should be saved for the war. Then use the great general from that war and another generated great person for cities 6 and 7. Hopefully by then Darius will have settled a GP in his capital (and shrined Buddism!) and we should be in good shape.

A darius DOW should give us negative diplo with a few people. Plus what are chances he bribes england against us?

18. yatta77

yatta77 Chieftain

Hi all Roadkill & Friends! :)

Just wanted to say that I still lurking on this one and that it is becoming a really interesting story, involving a possible betray plan against Persia. :D

Interesting choices so far, I'm looking forward to see how this will evolve from here! :goodjob:

Just a friendly reminder: if founding that 4th city, having so much "culture border" in common with Persia, and so much forest in your land to defend, just remember to try to fight most of battle in your own territory, to get the x4 EXP rolo was taking about few posts above. Also remember that, when possible, also if in your own land try to attack which bring 2x Exp of defend.

Cheers All! And Best Wishes to All of You! :)

yatta, back on lurking mode.

post #980

19. Killroyan

Killroyan Chieftain

Good turnset Pholkhero. We are facing interesting choices right now. I am ok with city number 4 but as Cree said, scout a little around the sheep. There might be another food resource there. Copper city is going to be very powerfull.

The question now is do we want England as an advisary or Persia? Persia is buddhist and good be an incredible trade buddy. England does have nice land but is way more backward if you ask me. So it might be easier to lure him into a defensive war.

20. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

Maybe we start building up for war, and see how the religion blocks go.

If England is more isolated, I won't argue with England first.

I just know we have to have one early war with how boxed in we are.