mb1 20K double whammy

Pre-flight checks... OK :thumbsup:

Pre-turn
Buy MPP from France for Incense, Spices, Wines, Ivory, Horses, Saltpetre & Coal - a bit pricey but I managed to hold back Oil & Furs :D
France goes from furious to annoyed
Gift France WM, 100gp + 10gpt - still annoyed
France is in Communism - I guess we should have expected that :(
Try planting a sy in India - caught
Mapstat: 51 tiles, -472 pop
Apollo: cultural 1961, 20K 1961, 100K 1954 - oops that's this turn, not much I can do about it at this point :(
Sell all culture buildings on the mainland & Rome
Start Mass Transits & Recyclers :D

Press button
No victory so we haven't doubled India yet

1 - 1955AD
Check Apollo - Cultural victory pushed back to 1996, 20K still 1961
Rush all Culture buildings on Indian continent
Culture 106,184, 300cpt
Bejing 19,578, 82cpt
Shanghai 19,493, 86cpt

IBT
Carry on building culture in India

2 - 1956AD
Rush about half of the Indian culture buildings
SS Stasis will take 3 turns in Shanghai so 1959 is the start date
Gift furs to France
Plant spy in Avignon (India)
Try to expose enemy spy - success
Sell Library in Bejing

3 - 1957AD
Sell RL in Bejing
Shanghai Temple
Hurry some Unis in India
Gift WM to France
Plant spy in India
Try to expose enemy spy but fail

IBT
Shanghai Temple - SS Stasis

4 - 1958AD
Try to plant spy in India & get caught
Gift Hispalis to France (just in case)

5 - 1959AD
Gift WM to France
Attempt to plant spy in India but get caught
Rush Libs in cities around Capital & FP

IBT
Renew embargo vs India

6 - 1960AD
Rush Unis in cities around Capital & FP
Attempt to plant spy in India but get caught
OK this is it - allow SS to finish
Save game :)

IBT
Get launch button - we win

Go back to save - delay SS Stasis - press button - we win a cultural victory - Bejing 20,032 & Shanghai 20,017

Notes
I haven't figured out a way to win Diplo but Space seems to have an idea

the 1960 save is > here <

Ted

:goodjob: Ted!

The recipe for diplo victory:
Take the 1960 save, revolt (yes, anarchy is the trick again), attack India (dastardly :(), press enter.
In the interturn France attacks India.
The vote comes up, vote Mao, ......, diplo victory.

edit: If no war action, Joan will abstain....

Now Mad should try to get the domination victory too. :D

Of course, anarchy... again :)

Well done Space [party] [dance] [party]

Over to you mb.

Ted

Just for the record,

I did it all by gut feeling and this "scratch" spreadsheet :D

Ted

Probably :D

I don't know which takes precedence, Domination or Culture. All I can say right now is that so far SS launch has priority (and I'm not 100% certain about that). This will be an excellent opportunity to determine the priorities for once and for all :)

Ted

I'm playing it now. I revolted like you did so as not to trigger the cultural wins.

Well, domination was easy using Spaces trick.
Revolted to Anarchy, captured a dozen or so cities, hit next turn.

Firaxis score 7353

We were magnificent (of course)

For posterity, here is the domination save.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/mb1-domination.SAV

A really good game, which was unusual because it got harder as it went on.

We achieved

2 cities hitting 20K on the same turn
standard cultural victory
Space race
Diplomatic (thanks Space)
and hardest of all ;) domination.

Thanks everyone, for a great game.

Some of my favourite moments - part 1

Quotes: Early days
mad-bax: Welcome Ted. It's great to have someone of your calibre in the game. I wasn't sure if this idea would generate much interest.

TedJackson (in reply to above): I thought I was joining to improve my game skills

Karasu: Hhmm, I may be overdoing things here, but I've recently developed an interest for 20k victories...

Karasu (on the subject of war): Myself, I would prefer a more conventional game -to experiment with the 20k victory mechanics, and to do some massive fighting...

inudog: Wow, it turns out that my company doesn't even trust me enough to install an Unzip program on my computer!

a space oddity: Are those pearls near the fish but on the land???!!!

Karasu: I tried to do a bit of thinking (not too much, I haven't got that many neurons, you know... ).

mad-bax (first inklings of his war-like tendencies: The Japanese get their UU at the same time as us and have a stronger defence. I vote we kill them before the Russians and before chivalry.

a space oddity: Like we discussed, I wake the worker... oh oh, it has already moved.

Wanderer: Um - who's next ? Is it me ?

mad-bax: BTW. This was never going to be easy ;)

Karasu (on war again): Or, we can always burn the city where they are building it...

Karasu (who I'm beginning tot think is a closet warmonger): What about putting together 4-5 Swordies and take Tokyo (which was blatantly built in *our* territory... )?

mad-bax: I didn't even manage 1 sword. I also took 11 turns. My brain is still on holiday.

mad-bax: Don't get the hump with me :(

TedJackson (in answer to above): Either I expressed myself badly or you have misunderstood the intent of my remarks (probably the former).

Karasu: I like causing wars among my neighbours...

a space oddity: It's so hot 'round here that if I try to start any other program than Civ3 on my laptop, it will overheat and switch off... )

a space oddity: Ted, you know a little Dutch then, eh?

inudog: I'm sorry, but what do you mean by this?

TedJackson: A plan to grab the Hanging Gardens (and screw America)

mad-bax: I would hate not to get the Hanging Gardens.

TedJackson: It's marvellous how the obvious can pass you by, isn't it?

a space oddity: But I should actually answer you in Dutch, want dan begrijp je het ook, nietwaar?!

mad-bax: I apologise for not posting a got it earlier, but it's difficult for me to sit on my computer at the weekend.

Karasu (confirmed warmonger): In case there were any doubts, I am supporting the war against Germany... (trying to bring everyone else in, of course).

a space oddity: Pangaea, the man said... (we had just discovered we were playing on a "continents" map :))

mad-bax: Way to go Ted.:) I had every confidence (whistles absent mindedly)

TedJackson: I agree, once we have entered Republic we should drag them all, kicking & screaming into the Middle Ages.

Karasu: Oohh... did I really say all that?

TedJackson (admiring Karasu): You're just so smooth... Lop the head off the first German intruder & Voila! A Great Leader

a space oddity: BTW, Kublai Khan wasn't strictly a Chinese guy, was he?

more to come...

Ted

I'm out of Internet connection for 1 day, and look what I missed!. Anyways, reloading Ted's 1960 save (wouldn't have had time to do it with mad bax's save), I shall conquer all :).

After 5 GL's, 3 hours, 4 turns, and alot of purging, we are the last standing!

On another note, thank you all for letting me have the privledge of playing with you. I was the least active amost us, and being probably the least experienced, I lurked and learned from the best. Thanks are for the educational experience, and the fun!

The Last Save

Wow, only 4 turns from conquest. Now I wish we had gone for the "all victory conditions" objective.

Maybe next time ;)

I'm thinking about an "all victory condition" game with conquests. Maybe in the new year.

I think if we'd played for conquest (as well) from the beginning then the middle & late game wouldn't have been so interesting or so hard.

We would just have steam-rollered on after attacking England and reduced India to a pulp and then France. Leaving just 1 French or Indian city standing to be wiped out as the other victories became due.

Nice to see how quickly andvruss mopped up though :D

Ted

OK, that settles it. I'm going to start an "All victory conditions" SG using conquests in the new year... assuming Santa can get down my chimney, and assuming Teds DyP game isn't consuming all my free time ;)

Top Bottom