Medieval Western Siege Weapons

i thought a little - should i say what i think or not, i have decided your units are to important for me to neglect speaking open my mind: where should i begin? a little critic - all you ballistas look very good, but the mangonels, catapults and trebuchet look childish. why do i care? i tell u why - i have been watching this site long before i signed in. beautiful units, historical accurate, and so on. but i would recomend you go and play stronghold in the scenario editor and there you could see some "more realistic" heavy siege units. i know there is a limitation about the size of the unit, in game speaking, but there is no reason you cannot make a better mangonel than those of stronghold - i am sure you can make it 1000 times better - if you want and have time. also the human counterweight manjanik could be more realistic - the experienced eye attributes different dimensions and proportions to the skeletton of the respective machine. ask ares de borg, he may help you. also this manjanik is a little small. thiiner proportions and maybe different textures. u can be mad at me or u could consider what i told u. it is your choice, know however i will download your units. forgive me and go on!

well. i ment he should watch the siege engines presented in stronghold 1 (pc strategy game). i played the game for a while but the soldiers i found here were so astonishing, cause they provided such a luxury, that i quit playing stronghold, but i stuck with the design of the siege weapons. it is not correct to make reference about other games, but such a gifted man cannot miss such an oportunity to give the community so beautifull soldiers but with little more designed siege weapons.

Very nice, imperator1961! Thanks for all of these!:)

I was thinking of making a Roman style ballistae myself, but I don't know enough about metalworking or anybody that does to make the metal components.

In particular the "teeth" used to rachet the bow back, and hold it in firing position. The woodworking would be no problem whatsoever, as my father can make damn near anything out of wood. Yea I know, I'm not up on the technical terms.

See, I think about making siege equipment all the time, but I'm usually drunk so nothing (thankfully) happens.

I was thinking of making a Roman style ballistae myself, but I don't know enough about metalworking or anybody that does to make the metal components.

In particular the "teeth" used to rachet the bow back, and hold it in firing position. The woodworking would be no problem whatsoever, as my father can make damn near anything out of wood. Yea I know, I'm not up on the technical terms.

A Great Crossbow is actually the next thing on our list. For the metalwork, we've contacted a bicycle maker who can cut us the cogwheels for a box of beer. I'm sure you can find someone near you, too. Maybe someone who repairs trucks or tractors?

Some historical terms to prevent word monsters (for this and your Asian Siege Pack):

Medieval Western Mangonel = Mangonel
Medieval Eastern Mangonel II = Lu'ab (or Manjaniq Arradah)
Muslim_Moors Ballista = Jarkh
Muslim-Moors Heavy Crossbow = Zanburak
Vietnamese Elephant Double Crossbow = Elephant Arcuballista
Vietnamese Double Siege Wheeled Bow = Wheeled Arcuballista
Indian Triple Siege Crossbow = Charkh
High Medieval Bizantine Catapult = Lithobolus
High Medieval Muslim-Moors Catapult = Arradah
Late Roman Catapult = Carroballista

Top Bottom