1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Modders

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Feb 10, 2010.

1. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

:bump:

I hope that we're all weathering the pandemic safe and sound. Please do your part. I've been fortunate to stay fully employed from home, so I've missed out on the full quarantine experience. But I have been listening to more podcasts lately, including an interview with Soren Johnson in a Civ3 series. It was a very interesting talk. He covered the history of the game at Firaxis, his personal experience, and most relevant to us, the AI. It was a lot that we know by now, and some that I didn't.
    Here's the episode if anyone is interested. The guys also talked with producer Jeff Morris, and spent 4 episodes playing through the game.

The other thing I've been doing in my free time is brushing up on the Unity game engine, since their premium training materials are currently free through June 20. I'm going to cover as much ground as I can in the next month, and then I have a few demo projects lined up.

AnthonyBoscia and Civinator like this.
  2. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Besides 100% inflation, being jobless, only exiting the home less than once a week and hanging on to a pile of saved cash that is more worthless by the hour I'm doing fine. And playing a lot of civ3; I've returned to the epic game after a nearly-three-year span.

The worst thing is that I've started a new .txt file with ideas on how to mod the game…

3. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

That doesn't sound good. Be careful how you land (at the bottom of the rabbit hole)!

4. Takhisis

It doesn't fit in one screen anymore, there's too many lines! It's the repressed ideas from years just coming to the surface!

Some are obvious, e.g. having some Regional units besides UUs or changing the samurai graphics to the samurai swordsmen from Sengoku's, others might make me actually do an entire mod.

5. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

I'm only worried that when the rest of the world starts to come out of the current crisis you'll still be locked away for years to come following many and varied ideas about how to improve the world of Civ III.

On the other hand, you could do a lot worse with your time and energies than delving further into that world. If I had more time I think I'd be getting into it further myself.

6. Takhisis

^I was playing a MOBA and after two rounds I actually mounted the partition where I keep civ installed (and the .txt in question) to add further details I'd thought up!

Anyway, I think it's over a year since I promised I'd update the description of myself which I made, um, when I joined in.

tl;dr I work as a translator, used to work teaching English but I don't anymore because I'm not allowed out during mandatory lockdown and the government is trying to pretend that it hasn't just been rebuffed by society in an attempt to have every single person's movements tracked using cellphone geolocalisation (one of the reasons why I've never had one of the things).
    So… in the time of over-a-decade since I finished highschool I've learned quite the handful of languages (some not even Indo-European, including learning Finnish well enough not to speak it).

Now under lockdown I have a lot of spare capacity and other than translating a certain book into Spanish and hoping to sell it I have tons of free time… if it weren't for my dodecade-old Civ3 discs and a few other games (I really recommend Wesnoth, a tactical game with RPG elements and more than a passing Civ2 influence) I would even have run out of books to read by now.

7. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I thought Wesnoth was a Warlords like game. Never tried, but some of the Warlords 3 devs told me that years ago. The only issue for me on lock down is the boss lady is now working from home and I set up her pc next to mine, likes. After more than 50 years, that is too much contact.

8. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

Interesting. I have no issue sharing my generalised location (IE. Where I live.), which is South London, UK. However, if it weren't for your fairly clear indication of not wanting to share yours I'd be curious to know if you're from our fair isles or from the Americas across the pond (Analysing the terminology I'm leaning towards the latter). Both governments seem to be performing well below par ATM and I know over here there's been a lot of talk of using the new Track & Trace app. Obviously feel free to tell me to MMOB :-D

Strangely enough I've just started watching a Finnish program on Netflix called Border Town set on the Russo-Finnish border. Interesting but I, for one, need the subtitles ;-)

Good for you with the languages BTW. I do feel for you being unable to work ATM. I'm very lucky my client manages key workers & I already work from home so, as I say, I'm very lucky.

Wow. Coming up to 33 myself so heartfelt congratulations to you both.

vmxa likes this.
  9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

The City So Grand it was named twice- "New York, New York," & not "Walla Walla" Wa. :cool:

IMHO one of the best of that genre around - a fully function, brilliant, Autism Spectrum detective fully utilizes "memory places" - utilizing masking tape across large areas of floor - to organize his cases.

- :old:z

10. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

I used to think that song referred to the city name being the same as the state name, but then I realised it was about when the English bought it from the Dutch way back when & it went to New York from New Amsterdam. Although I've been to Washington (State) a few times now I know nothing of Walla Walla I'm afraid - although Walla Walla WA sounds pretty cool when said out loud :-D

I don't think they actually state he's on the spectrum but he sure behaves that way. I'm certainly enjoying it. I find I like a lot of what's known as Scandi Noir.
    Yes indeed. No stick required yet, and generally keep the face smooth, but veering drastically towards my sixties :-(

11. Takhisis

Well… I haven't played Warlords so I cannot say, but Wesnoth is an engine and can be modified by anybody with the right skills (I'm not at that level yet). Mountain Witch is a campaign that deviates so much from ‘standard’ wesnoth that it's a bit like EFZI is to Civ 3.
    Can't you install a partition like those some restaurants in IIRC the Netherlands are doing? :mischief:
    My generalised location (i.e. the sprawling hive of scum and villainy that is Buenos Aires) has always been known to CFC, as is the fact that I still have family in the UK as well as some of its other former colonies, but the newly-reinstated government is a bunch of wannabe totalitarians (we have a thread for that in OT, but be warned, it is CFC-OT, almost as bad as Apolyton) and, regardless of government, I've never seen the point of having a mobile phone, ‘smart’ or otherwise. I spend enough time working, designing and playing in front of a screen to want to take one with me everywhere I go.
    I'd need some help with the Russian too (;)) I'm not very good at it and some of the accents are very thick. Especially the Okanye-Akanye thing.
    Learning languages is easy enough if you've grown up speaking more than one. There's just a sort of mental space, ready-made to be filled.

12. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

As a child I was around 3 languages (English*, Spanish & something nameless that was neither Dutch nor German). I imagine your experience was similar - fastest way to learn a language is to be around adults code-switching so they could talk about things they didn't want the children to know. :D

I want to tackle spoken Mandarin - but not sure I have the perseverance for it.

* lest his post seem odd ... Takhisis caught a typo. Thanks!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

For years I've kept a Google Keep note that looks like the scrawlings of a madman, where I dump incoherent ideas that I wish I could implement in Civ. It's a way of life.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

Why don't you pick your - top 5? - that are not patently impossible, and list them here. Maybe we can get some fun & serious brainstorming going :think:

15. Takhisis

Is that a misspelling of English, or are you actually talking about Anglish?

btw have you ever thought it might have been adults using reverse psychology on your younger self?
    The problem for me would be getting practice. In this era of espionage the Chinese government would forcibly re-educate me if they read even a random 1% of my CFC posts. Hence my no learning Chinese.
    I have yearly ones for ideas on writing and cooking, but starting a new one for Civ is something that's only ever happened under lockdown.
    This is an interesting idea to which I might subscribe.

16. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

I do the same. Google Keep is excellent. I gave up all things Google for a few years but recently came back to it and Google Keep is even better than I remembered it. It's the thing I missed most. I must go back and read all my old ideas sometime...

17. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

Wesnoth is pretty similar to Warlords. Man I loved Warlords back in the day! Such a great game.

18. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

@Takhisis - thanks for catching the typo. Corrected it. That's what I get for thinking about Spanglish (which is a thing here) while also thinking about my Grandmother's colloquial but correct Spanish.

learning Mandarin - I hate knowing that English subtitles are not correct. I know a few words and some things are obvious - like when a place name is spoken but the English has no mention of geography at all.

19. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

I can't say I'd notice in any Chinese language but this is clearly a problem when the translations are from Romance languages where you can recognise something from the Latin that's clearly been changed by the translator. That irritates me too if I'm honest.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Still here, though my right eye isn't in perfect condition, which may well mean that gfx creation is over for me...

Spoiler :