Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I'm running on 256 MB graphics memory so it runs everything also fine, except for huge maps in industrial age. But yes, I think you're right, system diagnostics does show the ungodly amount of system RAM being used at late stages in the game. Still it's a big improvement over the initial version.

Will reply more later. It's late here and I wanna sleep.

can anybody say for certain that they have had better success with 1.09 using the hark fix than with 1.52 without? I never had a problem with hark fix, but i did not play a long enough game to find out...

i am now in industrial (ish) age on world map (huge) and with most graphics turned down and I have to use 2GB virtual mem + 1GB RAM + 256MB GPU RAM to play for any length of time.

feckhornet, I think the success of Hark+1.09 vs 1.52 depends on an individual user's configuration, but I can tell you that I've had much more success with Hark+1.09 than 1.52 (on a machine with 2.6 Ghz processor/1 Gig RAM/ 128 Mb Nvidia graphics card).

1.52 ran smoothly for several games until I tried playing a highlands map...1.52 slowed the game down to just a couple of frames per second before reaching 1200 AD (epic speed). I subsequenlty uninstalled 1.52, re-installed Hark+1.09, and tried another highlands map: the game ran smoothly all the way to a time victory on epic speed.

I congratulate Firaxis on creating what I feel is one of the greatest PC games of all time in Civ IV; it's a real shame they couldn't have shipped before working out the memory leaks and other assorted performance issues, however.

feckhornet
Yes, it depends on the system. As for my system (P3-1.3Ghz, 512Mb, 9800 Pro 128Mb) 1.09+hark-fix works better, and the difference is obvious since very start of the game.

I tested using huge contintental map with 18 civs. With my fix it was smooth and wasn't swapping, at least in ancient age.

With 1.52 and MemSaver = 0 it starts swapping when other civs make their invisible turns even in the very begining of the game. With 1.52 and MemSaver = 1 it does not swap, but FPS is somewhat 8-15 where it should be 35-45. I think they allocate too much in AGP memory with MemSaver = 1.

For better systems 1.52 behaves almost equally as 1.09+hark-fix, but sometimes sluggishness at later ages are reported.

Also, 1.09+hark-fix sometimes has visual problems like later black terrain or gray leaderboxes (cured by game restart, but still these are annoying). I didn't see that much visual bug reports with 1.52, but they are outballanced by later sluggishness which is not cured by game restart. Also, 1.52 users sometimes face "out of video memory" message either immediately or later in the game which isn't cured by game restart (only by starting a new game :) ... :().

Also, 1.09+hark-fix sometimes has visual problems like later black terrain

Hi Harkonnen,

Just to let you know, I got black terrain with the 1.52 patch (which i was using because of the gameplay changes.) Decided to try a huge earth game, and got to about 1830's before both black terrain and 'out of memory.' Restarting and increasing virtual mem did not fix, and in any case it was getting too slow anyway. I've played a little bit with the civ init file, but so far haven't found any better results. My system is same as yours 1.3Gz, 512MB, 128Pro.

So now i'm trying a game on a std map and hoping i'm not wasting my time.

So anyway Hark, this was just for your info and to give you some encouragement to keep at it. Your presence puts the pressure on fireaxis to keep up! (Also, Maybe you could add an option for random map type on your next fix?)

On my machine:
Pentium M 1.6GHz
512MB RAM
ATI X300 128MB supports 256MB

1.52 and Harkfix run fairly similarly for the first hundred or so turns, at least on standard maps.
On large or huge maps, Harkfix runs faster and after the first hundred turns, Harkfix beats down 1.52 on standard as well.:goodjob:

The oddest thing to me, is that I have never once had any kind of bug...with 1.00, 1.09, or anything...all I had was immense late-game slowdown. I would have thought that since the software was exactly the same for everyone, that any bugs being caused would either be caused on everyone's computer, or it is their hardware's fault.:confused:

Now, with 1.09+Harkfix, I did have some gunships disappear every once in a while, but that seemed to be fixed when I upped the graphics to top levels again.

I went ahead and deleted Harkfix, replaced my original zlib.dll(or whatever it is called), and installed 1.52 because I was really interested in the combat % viewer.

Thus far, I've had more errors and bugs than I've had with 1.00, 1.09, and 1.09+Harkfix combined. It runs faster than 1.09 without harkfix, but doesn't beat Harkfix in speed, more does it save memory, Alt-Tabbing is ridiculously slow again(it was immediate with Harkfix, full screen and windowed)

I also can no longer watch any wonder videos-they skip and freeze every second or two...not even Stonehenge, while Harkfix let me see every video back to Manhatten Project and United Nations.

Finally, and to me, the last straw for version 1.52- I was playing a standard size game, 7 civs, normal game speed, continents map. In 1530AD, I clicked on England to discuss trading maps, and I experienced my first CTD since Windows 95. My computer then froze for around 25 seconds, popped up a message saying I had run out of virtual memory(which I believe was set at 1.5GB, after my vid mem and system RAM), I clicked ok on that, I figured I could just reopen the game and start playing again once XP cleared my memory. Instead, I get a second error message that said that Civilization4.exe had made an 'unusual' call to memory and that the program would have to shut down. I found that odd, since my task manager said Civ4 was already shut down. I tried moving my mouse, found it frozen again...and then it happened....the blue screen of death :nuke: ....and a little countdown at the bottom saying something about a physical memory dump.:cry:
I am only a freshman programming student at uni, but I figured that was definitely not a good sign....so I manually shut off my computer, restarted, and everything appears fine...except that I lost around 1 hour of gameplay.:sad:

I just find it odd that something like that would happen, especially when I've had no problems except late game slowdown to date.

NOTE: I also find it interesting that my computer, while fairly good for a laptop, seems to run Civ4 so much better than just about everyone else on here. No bugs, no errors, no CTD, my only problem was late game slowdown on huge and large maps....and even THAT is while running Civ4 with graphics turned to max in every area except AA, that is set to 2 instead of 4.:confused:

thanks for the nfo guys. my problems are late game on huge maps and i get CTDs and the dreaded out of video memory. It's definitely a leak because I've put my virtual memory up to 2GB and that buys me a little more game time. From what I've read, I'm going to try and go back to the 1.09 with the hark fix. Will my saved games work if i do this??

Also, i'm looking at getting a laptop to play Civ4. if any of you have had experience of playing civ4 on a laptop, good or bad, it would be great to hear from you. I am hoping to get an Acer with a dedicated GPU (radeon x700, 128MB VRAM), 512MB RAM (1GB if i can afford it ;) ) and a 1.6GHz 64-bit processor...am i wasting my time?

cintorix
Thrallia
feckhornet

Thank you all! :) Besides good words, this info is very useful for me. As the time passed since 1.52 release, I see that 1.52 isn't as good as it appeared in the begining.

As for savegames - I saw some XML file where build number was told (and savegame version too). Setting this value in 1.09 to that one of 1.52 (AFAIK 1.09 claims 101, 1.52 claims 102) might allow loading 1.52 savegames with 1.09. I didn't try this, just the first thing I'd try should I face this problem.

I also never had any CTD with native civ4 (only due to my own bugs in-development), but this actually says nothing... There might be some invalid calls which are eaten by some drivers, and fail with another. For example, freeing invalid video memory pointer might be ignored by one driver, immediately fail with another driver, and fail several allocations (minutes) later with the 3rd video driver.

Usually video drivers do not perform a lot of run-time checking of calls for performance reasons. That's why sometimes "safe" user-mode code under "well-protected" WinXP may cause blue screen through "innocent" DirectX call.

....first off my system:

nForce 3 250G
Athlon64 3000+
1G RAM
GeForceFX 5200 128MB

I have played with the settings in the ini file and have taken some ideas from others to uninstall various "troublesome" programs (notably InCD) and stopped some unneeded services in the background.

Once I start the game, it works "OK". Not too slow, not too fast, but playable. Playable that is until I get my first Leader communication. From there on out (at least until I save and restart) I get about 2-3 fps. Yuck!

I have turned 16bit Bink on and shut off all other movies, but it still pops up every time. Maybe its a problem with Bink?

I had great success with your fix, Hark, under 1.09, so I hope you can get 1.52 figured out so I can play this great game.

Thanks!

Phu

feckhornet

I play Civ4 exclusively on a laptop(as denoted by my Pentium M processor)
I've found that surprisingly I have had less troubles than almost anyone, on any patch level. And that I can apparently play at much higher graphics levels than others can.
I don't know why that is, but I can tell you that the specs you listed are all equal to or greater than mine are. My processor is the same speed, but only 32-bit.

My system:

Intel 3.0 GHz P4 with HT
2 GB of DDR Ram
ATI Radeon 9800 pro w/ 128MB video ram
100G SATA drive
2 GB set aside for swap
WIndows XP Pro SP2

Clearly, I wasn't expecting any problems with performance, especially for a turn based game. With version 1.09 and Harkonnen's patch, the game runs reasonably well, even allowing me to use the cloud-layer zoom out.

Installing 1.52, performance is only slightly better than 1.09 without the patch, and the cloud layer slows to a crawl. In addition, if I alt-tab away from the game, more often than not it will screw up when I attempt to alt-tab back into it. In particular, the entire screen will go black, and stay that way... even after I get control back and can hear the windows menu and such, I can't find a way to restore video and have to reboot.

I originally had 1G of memory, and was hoping a second Gig would help more. It doesn't seem to, although I bet if I go back to 1.09 with the patch, I'll have no problems.

Thanks for your hard work Harkonnen, and I hope the civ4 dev team starts actually playing full huge games on their box spec system before the next patch goes out the door. :)

Thrallia

Thanks for the nfo. that makes me feel a bit more confident.

Hark
if i do revert back i'll let you know how i get on with those saved games

yeah, I dunno why, but all those monster desktop computers are having issues, but on my computer I can run it with all the graphics options turned on, all the graphics levels turned to high, and I can even turn on AA X2, that does slow it down a little, but not much more than it slows down normally.

so considering the problems people seem to be having, I'd say a laptop is a good bet.

Now cmon. I wouldn't exactly call my system a "monster". In fact, in my mind, it's only marginally "adequate". Of course, I am a complete and total geek. lol

Phu

Thrallia said:
yeah, I dunno why, but all those monster desktop computers are having issues, .

I won't even consider mine a monster much longer... Not sure I even do now... though I have little issue with Civ4... I think it is primarily those that have upper mid range, lower high end machines that are having the most issues, or should I say notice the most since they expect civ4 to work great not soooo slow (they are above recommended specs after all...). Upper high end like mine are good enough that the pitfalls of civ4's make up doesn't effect them as severly. Those in the low end (those that just meet the recommended or below) well expect it to be slow or should... :D If you barely met the required heck if you even barely met the recommended in games these days you shouldn't expect it to run great even with lowest settings. Required = just able to run pathetic but running, Recommended = Run with lowest setting not great just descently, that seems to be how publishers gadge things lately.

I just hope my "monster" system ;) can handle Oblivion with ease.

by monster I mean those with better machines than mine lol

2GB RAM, 6800 or 7800 vid cards....those types of things.

course, I always expect to need the recommended requirements in order to get any kind of decent performance out of a game...but lots of people posting in this thread with problems post system specs much higher than Civ4's recommended specs.

meanwhile, I have system specs much higher than recommended in every area except processor on this laptop, and I exceed the cpu recommendation on my desktop by a ton...yet it runs better on my laptop.

phalzyr
If you mean "Oblivion" by Bethesda Softworks - it sould be good. Though, Daggerfall series was buggish, all those were gameplay issues. Their graphics engine in pre-accelerated age was very very perfect (Daggerfall, System Shock / SkyNet). They had phong-like lighting effects in 256 colors better than quake1/2/3 have with accelerated lightmaps. I mean their programmers shouldn't make mistakes in 3D that Firaxis did with Gamebryo.

feckhornet said:
AMD Athlon 1800 [running at 2 MHz]
Is there a reason you're so severely underclocking your PC? It's really no wonder if Civ IV crawls... :crazyeye:

np: Justus Köhncke - Krieg (Kompakt Total 6 (Disc 1))

I am experiencing very slow games with 109 but it seems to me that 1.52 is even worse. Any news of a patch fixing all these memory issues from Firaxis?
Can't wait till I can play this game properly but I think I will do with civ3 for the moment, at least that works

Top Bottom