Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

A qiuck question... Does this mod chance te game so that it would not need Tnl-support from video card? because mine CIV IV is blackterrain... (no Tnl support and only 32mb video card (sis740))
If this mod dosent help, can anyone tell is there a mod that would repair this problem? (I cant get a new vidocard, a laptop. everything else meets minimun req) But anyway, Great job Harkonnen!

Kasperr
If you get black terrain problem from the very begining - then no. If you get it in mid-game, then sometimes my fix helps with 1.00 or 1.09. Official 1.52 patch has solved some of these problems.

EagleEyE1203
Thanks! :D

hi, ive been trying to read through the thread and i was wondering if you could help me. i could not find the insane mode thing but anyways im running civ4 1.52 on a ATI 9000 Mobility w/1.6GHz Centrio M processor and w/1GB of ram, w/all the settings on low i get laggy graphics and black terrain, when i turn on the new memory saving thing it crashes with video memory insufficient error when game loaded, is there a way to fix this?

inoesomestuff
1.09 + insane_mode = 1 with my fix. I believe MemSaver = 1 option in 1.52 does what my fix does with 'insane_mode = 1' and saves more memory. But as a side-effect it slows the game down. My fix with 'insane_mode = 1' didn't save as much, but it didn't slow it down, neither it gave out-of-video-memory error.

hmm... i just found out that the mobility card only has 32MB of video memory, is it still possible to run civ4?

Hark,

If you're still out there I got a quick question and a long story.

Quick question:
If I told you what files were available, is there a way your Civ4 fix could be hooked up to The Elder Scrolls Oblivion? I didn't see a zlib file so I couldn't try it myself.

Now the long story:
Despite my warnings, my brother bought Oblivion for his system, which is almost an exact duplicate of mine (same company/newer). He bought a better PSU and a Geforce 6800 before Oblivion, but it's clear that the whole mobo is the bottleneck (P4 2.2ghz, 266 memory, 400mhz front bus, that kind of thing). Like I told him, gamebryo+everything other than a server=slow. His framerates at minimum are ghastly. :D

So, I wanted to see what your fix would do. If nothing else I could use the fps meter to show him his 3-4 fps. :lol:

Thanks

MxxPwr
Yes, I am still here.

I was thinking about Oblivion myself and I wrote a tool to hook up during civ4 times, but lost it on another PC, so need to recode it :(

I have Oblivion myself (and play it for more than 7 days so far). I must say it consumes less memory with much up-to-year-2006 graphics :D

I don't know if my fix will have any effects on it (most probably they will be negative), but I'll try.

Well, I've still didn't upgrade my rig, so I play Ovlivion nicely at:
P3-1.3Ghz, 512Mb, R9800 Pro 128Mb.

512mb is the worst thing, most of the rest goes nicely. Though I had to turn refractor shader off ('bUseRefractShader = 0') because it is too slow on 9800Pro (and only these cards, 9600 are ok...) for some reason... 3-4 FPS are begining, gates and "invisible" stuff, the rest is 30-60.

Also I decided to play 640x480 with 4x AA and I must say that I don't see that on the picture :D I think this arises from XBOX 360 roots...

P.S: That's not for discussion of Oblivion at this CIVfanatics thread :) Just one-shot message to help your brother.

Harkonnen said:
MxxPwr
Yes, I am still here.

I was thinking about Oblivion myself and I wrote a tool to hook up during civ4 times, but lost it on another PC, so need to recode it :(

I have Oblivion myself (and play it for more than 7 days so far). I must say it consumes less memory with much up-to-year-2006 graphics :D

I don't know if my fix will have any effects on it (most probably they will be negative), but I'll try.

Cool! No need to work too hard on it though. It was just something I was thinking about.

Well, I've still didn't upgrade my rig, so I play Ovlivion nicely at:
P3-1.3Ghz, 512Mb, R9800 Pro 128Mb.

512mb is the worst thing, most of the rest goes nicely...

And still, I've noticed with just about every new game the speed of the RAM is just as important or even more so. Except maybe for Civ4, which really did need 1gb of RAM for god-knows-what reason.

...Though I had to turn refractor shader off ('bUseRefractShader = 0') because it is too slow on 9800Pro (and only these cards, 9600 are ok...) for some reason....
I'll pass that along to Larry. bUseRefracShader is in .ini I assume?

3-4 FPS are begining, gates and "invisible" stuff, the rest is 30-60.

Hmm. With havok physics, I wonder if it's wanting the renderer to draw and keep track of every placeable item. Hopefully there's no army battle scenes. Great thing about Civ4 is that there was no need for a physics engine.

Also I decided to play 640x480 with 4x AA and I must say that I don't see that on the picture :D I think this arises from XBOX 360 roots...

P.S: That's not for discussion of Oblivion at this CIVfanatics thread :) Just one-shot message to help your brother.

I'll pass that along as well. But I don't get the reference, and I get the feeling I don't want to know. :)

MxxPwr
Yes, bUseRefracShader is in .ini and much like with civ4 it is at "My Documents\My Games".

Havok is extremely fast in any game I faced so far even on my CPU.

I mean that discussing Oblivion stuff isn't for this civ-fanatics thread except probably trying memory-fix with Oblivion :) The fact about 640x480 4X AA is just my own experience.

All
I currently have no time to try 1.61. Are there any memory / video memory error improvements with it? I mean for real, not official release notes.

Also, that's the point I was waiting for about a month since I gave up adopting 1.52. So it's time to try memory-fix with 1.61, but I'd like to know beforehand if there is a need to do so if it won't go easily. Thanks :)

Ok, I've found that injector backed up at my FTP. I am going to finish and test it this weekend. That's for pirates and probably oblivion. Actually, for any game without specific tricks like in civ4 1.52 (1.61?).

Harkonnen said:
MxxPwr
Yes, bUseRefracShader is in .ini and much like with civ4 it is at "My Documents\My Games".

I mean that discussing Oblivion stuff isn't for this civ-fanatics thread except probably trying memory-fix with Oblivion :) The fact about 640x480 4X AA is just my own experience.

Okay, thanks and thanks!

All
I currently have no time to try 1.61. Are there any memory / video memory error improvements with it? I mean for real, not official release notes.

Also, that's the point I was waiting for about a month since I gave up adopting 1.52. So it's time to try memory-fix with 1.61, but I'd like to know beforehand if there is a need to do so if it won't go easily. Thanks :)

Hark,
1.61 has Firaxis 'MemSaver' just like 1.52
So, my guess would be no on your fix.

Through thoughtless error, and mindlessness I updated Civ4 Friday past and then re-installed your fix. I am also running the Sevo Mod. So far I have not encountered problems with your fix, but then I am still working in about 500 BC, and I didn't even bother trying 1.61 without your fix.
I am still getting the grey screen with a quesiton mark for portrait, and I forgot how to fix that part. I am also getting the note that your fix is not an "official" patch ... keeps me smiling because your fix is the only reason Civ 4 is nto a permanent resident of my local dump yard.
mjmr

Loaded the new 1.61 patch, game works for awhile, but it still chashes.
Can't even use world saver at all!:( Games doesn't make more than two turns and down it goes. :(

I am going back to Civ 3, until either you get a fix up or Firaxis finally gets it right.
Or Civ 5 comes out.

Harkonnen said:
MxxPwr

All

We reduced the memory footprint of the terrain by a factor of 4 (bascially went from 16x16 vertices to 8x8) which can lead to a lot of savings on the bigger maps...

I've been playing an islands game, large, epic and have gotten all the way to The Internet with no problems. Only the occasional hiccup (momentary slowdown) but everything goes back to good shortly. I lost that game to an unfortunatly timed brown out reboot and didn't feel like replaying the last 100 years (doh! I should save more!) again so I restarted the game.

I'm thinking that 1.61 works fine for me.....need to try a huge map now....

Phu

My setup : A64 3500+, 1Gb PC3200 and a GF 6600GT 256mb DDR3

After playing Civ4 for a while, it freezes and the screen flickers. Sometimes it fixes itself and i can play for a bit untill it happens again. After 3-4 times the game just crashes to desktop. 10 minutes ago it happened again and i got this error : "Failed to allocate video memory". I've had this problem since the game hit the shelves and i bhought it, even patch 1.61 doesn't fix it

Ok, I see 1.61 probably has same problems as 1.52 had... and probably same strange thing which makes it crashing when my fix is ON and MemSaver is OFF. I will check this out when I will have some free time. Work, work work... :(

Soren Johnson
By 8x8 vs. 16x16 - do you mean 1.52 or 1.61?

Top Bottom