Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

keldath
Only if you are running 1.00 or 1.09 version of civ4. With 1.52 or 1.61 it will either do nothing or force civ4 to crash even before the main menu.

Great work on the patch. I run a min-spec rig (Celeron 1.2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, GeForce MX 4000) and until I stmbled upon this, the game was unplayable for me by the Industrial Age. I run the patch at vid_mem_usage =32, insane_mode =1 and now everything's fine.

Harkonnen said:
By 8x8 vs. 16x16 - do you mean 1.52 or 1.61?

The reduction to 8x8 was introduced in 1.61. You can still have 16x16 if you select the 'high-detailed terrain' graphics option.

Ive read the fisrt page of the thread (havent used your setz yet). Seems quite interesting to me! Ill try it right away! Perhaps my PC will run the game much faster too if i put your changes on.
BTW: MY graphics are NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (64mb)
AND: PC configs are: Processor 1.699 MHz 256+128mb RAM
:goodjob:

Simon1995
Thanks, but this thing is dead since 1.52 :( Fortunately, 1.52 and 1.61 fix these issues themselves (but sometimes impose new problems like "out of video memory"). My thing is usable for 1.00 and 1.09 versions of civ4.

Thanks anyway! :)

Harkonnen said:
Simon1995
Thanks, but this thing is dead since 1.52 :( Fortunately, 1.52 and 1.61 fix these issues themselves (but sometimes impose new problems like "out of video memory"). My thing is usable for 1.00 and 1.09 versions of civ4.

Thanks anyway! :)

The very first version of your patch, for some reason, works with 1.61. I'm running it myself.

Hi Harky !

It's been a long time since we contacted.
Nice to see you still here :)

I now have checked 1.61 original.
Still not analyzed it deeply but it's clear that the advisor screens still come up very slow compared to your patch.
At least this could be fixed if you had the time for 1.61

Best wishes,
Gábor from Hungary

well on 1.61, I haven't tried a huge map yet, but on everything else is seems to be about 85-95% as effective as your fix was, Hark. I'd still use yours, except that I play the GOTM, and like that battle odds calc. :p

Just wanted to pop in again and let you know that your hard work has been greatly appreciated, and I'm not sure exactly where you find the time to have done what you did.

Actually, you need to have a WHOLE lot of free time to play a huge map.
Having so much cities makes the game tiring for me.
But for testing graphics it's cool :cool:

amirsan,

Well, Lately I'm designing an earth map. It is 256 x 128. But I've been experimenting with Kurt-Roges 217 x 119 map. I'm using 1.61.

So far as the Romans I can get to about 1 AD with out restarting the game (I don't have to but I like to free up memory). ! am running 1.5 GB RAM.

So It is possible to run really huge maps for a while. Oh I ussually check the task monitor. If the RAM gets to about 350 MB left, then I restart the game or computer first.

If my computer has:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.81 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro

Should my settings be:

patch_on = 1
vid_mem_usage = 80
insane_mode = 1

Do I just put all three files into the Civilization IV folder?

ok i know the game has been out a while but i heard about some of the problems they were having so put of buying it,but some nice person bought me the game the other day... :D installed it and then patched it (1.61)

on small games (4 players) im lucky if i get to 100 AD, large games i'm lucky if i get to 2000 BC :( i have all music off and even have all the graphic settings on LOW is there anything i can do to play a full game? :cry:

(my pc specs)
AMD athlon XP 2.8 G, DDR 1.024 G ram
GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR RAM
civ 4 patch version 1.61

I have Civ4 installed on my laptop having 1gb RAM with patch 1.61 applied. Before this I have never applied either the 1.09 or the 1.52 patches. Whenever I start a custom game that starts in 4000 BC I'm able to play only till around 300 AD. After that Civ4 exits to desktop without any errors. I tried starting a couple of games in the Renaissance/modern eras but was not successful. Civ4 simply exits. Could this be the same memory issue addresed in this thread or could something else be wrong with Civ4? Please could somebody help me out with this?

Harkonnen, you are a god among men.

You have saved my world... in fact... MANY of my worlds of all different sizes, and the civilizations dwelling within them. for this, I thank you.

Stupid question but where do I put harkonnen.ini with this patch? I copied all in the main dir replacing zlib1.dll and placing the other files there as well but I get Can't find harkonnen.ini immediately after trying to launch the game before anything initializes.

Top Bottom