1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercenaries

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by JFD, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

Sadly, usually not, as I have a oddly high propensity for crashes (Which has kept me away from lots of your mods that require it ) :(

And apparently the CP doesn't like the way I code my civs... Go figure.

2. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Well tell that to Elizabeth. :p
    also, I'll get you the logs as soon as I download another GB of mods to my collection.

3. Kesler

Kesler Master Kekkler

Isn't Two Sicilies supposed to be a navel power? :p

4. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Sometimes all contracts under some types of units disapper, this happens frequently.
    Screenshot:
    Spoiler :

And, with EE, I can't see Hessian in Enlightenment era?

5. Chrisy15

Chrisy15 Flower, Beautiful

I sometimes find that when I advance to a new era, my contracts don't update. However, I can usually get round this by flicking "Only Show Availiable Contracts" on and off. Maybe it would work for some of these other issues.

6. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Huh, I have some similar issues as described above - contracts not updating with new eras, mostly, or single contract unit types losing all available contracts (as Zwei833 showed). I also had an issue where "Active Contracts" tab would be all blanked out, not showing me any information about who took what contracts, and not allowing me to break/prolong contracts. I'll see if the problem persists after reloading the game.

As for game balance - gold costs are very good right now. However, Faith costs of certain units are still too steep. Some Horsemen/knightly orders in medieval era cost over 1000 Faith, impossible due to lower cost of Great Prophets.

7. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

It would really help if when you guys report issues, you report them with your Lua log. I'll look into them myself, but a log report can help direct me to the exact issue.

As for Faith costs, in the most recent changelog I indicated that I'd be switching those kinds of contracts to instead cost Piety with the next Piety update. That should make them much more affordable - provided you're willing to become a heretic or able to offset this heresy :D In the upcoming update to Piety, this capacity will be much more dynamic.

8. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Will do, I just want to see if it "fixes" itself after reloading the game.

[heresies internally] - sorry I missed the changelog. :blush: Looking forward to it now! :D

9. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Mercenaries updated:
    • Re-named Contracts Overview to Mercenaries Overview. I don't think I'll be adding any other type of Contracts (originally had the idea for 'Business Contracts,' but I gradually elemented the viability of what they were to offer). Settlers and Great Merchants caused issues because of how they are 'one-time' units. Great Recon units were just glorified Mercenaries and could be condensed into a single new Mercenary Contract. And Workers was an underwhelming approach to Slavery (though was still the most useful of the lot).
    • Fixed a Lua issue which may have been causing issues with the Current Contracts overview. Certainly, it was causing issues with the Contract overview not updating properly in the event that a Minor Civ had hired a Mercenary.
    • Fixed issue wherein Hessians and Potsdam Giants were still unlocked at the Industrial Era.
    • Zouaves now unlocked at the Enlightenment Era.
    • Fixed issue with the Mercenary Contract button in the Unit Panel (not that anyone realized I'd added a link there, I'm betting :p)

10. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

11. Kesler

Kesler Master Kekkler

Watch out Natan- zwei833 is vying for the role of "Imperial Bug Tracker". You may be out of a job soon :3

12. Natan35

No one can challenge my mod list: Contains 10GB and counting.

13. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Do you mean the mods of Civ5, or include mods of other games?

14. Natan35

civ5 only.

15. Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin Warlord

Okay so I keep encountering this error which makes any game with this mod unplayable.
    Spoiler :

It occurs when I load into a game with Mercenaries installed, but never the first or second load, usually the 3rd or 4th. I just can't do anything on the screen, clicking the "Close" button does nothing. I haven't a clue what's causing it. I've updated to the new version and hoped it was fixed, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

16. L.Pepperbottom

L.Pepperbottom Chieftain

Yeah I just loaded my current game up today and am having the same issue. I believe it was the 4th time loading as well.

Attached Files:

17. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

I love the idea of a One-Time Worker being able to be build a random UI from another Civilization in the game.

18. Kesler

Kesler Master Kekkler

It's a cool idea, but the problem with that is that a lot of UI's can only be built under certain conditions, or only benefit the player with certain geography. A Terrance farm isn't going to do much good on a flat desert tile :p The only way to make it work is to remove the random element, and design it so that only UI's that could be built on the current tile are applicable.

19. DemonFire

DemonFire Chieftain

Hey JFD, I've been trying to get your Mercenaries mod to work in a multiplayer game using the Multiplayer Modpack Maker (MPMPM) and I'm so close to getting it working. I have everything in the mod working except the contracts. After researching the mercenary tech, I see the different unit types that I can hire as mercs but there are never any contracts available. I really want to get this working because I really like this mod but it's by far the most complex mod I've worked with. If you could help me get this working in multiplayer that would be awesome of you.

Here's a screenshot of the merc window as it appears in multiplayer: http://i.imgur.com/Mdg0BJx.png

Here's a copy of your mod after being repackaged by the MPMPM. This is a fresh copy without any of my failed patching attempts. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzBPwFWrAPUCXy0tMmxUYlpaQ0U/view?usp=sharing

20. Kesler

Kesler Master Kekkler

I recommend you also ask your question on this thread, dedicated to MPMPM: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=533238&page=32

I've heard a big problem with a lot of mods is usage of Lua code, with it dysncing the game, and causing problems. I don't know if that is the problem, but the more complex coding a mod has, chances are the harder it's going to be implement in Multiplayer.