Middle-earth Mod

[BTS] Middle-earth Mod 0.4.1

My canal mod works! It did require DLL changes, but it works. :)
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0153.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0154.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0155.JPG

Writing

'It is grim reading,' he said. 'I fear their end was cruel. Listen! We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and second hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there. Then there are four lines smeared so that I can only read went 5 days ago. The last lines run the pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes, and then drums, drums in the deep. I wonder what that means. The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming.'

Engineering

“Smiths and miners and makers of fire they brought with them, and they set up great engines; and valiantly though they were resisted they broke the walls at last.”

Fishing

“He was a loathsome little creature: he paddled a small boat with his large flat feet, peering with pale luminous eyes and catching blind fish with his long fingers, and eating them raw.”

In terms of civilizations to add:

Hobbits, Iron Hills Dwarves, and Corsairs of Umbar are probably the most important to add. However I agree with your view that adding them is not a top priority currently.

I much prefer Leaderheads to static pictures. I might be alone in this, but I would favor only vaguely appropriate Leaderheads to static pictures. There are a lot of leaderheads to choose from, Civ Gold has about 200 alone I think, and I suspect there is another 50-100 in other mods and such. Maybe some of them will do (as we don’t seem to have anyone here who mods leaderheads).

One quick modding question. I took a picture from the internet, converted it into a dds file, and replaced the picture currently in my mod, keeping the same name as the one it replaced. However it did not show up in my mod. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Writing

'It is grim reading,' he said. 'I fear their end was cruel. Listen! We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and second hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there. Then there are four lines smeared so that I can only read went 5 days ago. The last lines run the pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes, and then drums, drums in the deep. I wonder what that means. The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming.'

Engineering

“Smiths and miners and makers of fire they brought with them, and they set up great engines; and valiantly though they were resisted they broke the walls at last.”

Fishing

“He was a loathsome little creature: he paddled a small boat with his large flat feet, peering with pale luminous eyes and catching blind fish with his long fingers, and eating them raw.”
Good job. I have been adding some in.
In terms of civilizations to add:

Hobbits, Iron Hills Dwarves, and Corsairs of Umbar are probably the most important to add. However I agree with your view that adding them is not a top priority currently.
Iron Hill Dwarves would be easy, except for a leader. They would use similar art to the Dwarves already present. Civs will be later though, I am trying to hammer out this tech tree expansion.

I much prefer Leaderheads to static pictures. I might be alone in this, but I would favor only vaguely appropriate Leaderheads to static pictures. There are a lot of leaderheads to choose from, Civ Gold has about 200 alone I think, and I suspect there is another 50-100 in other mods and such. Maybe some of them will do (as we don’t seem to have anyone here who mods leaderheads).
I like statics better unless I have mostly accurate LH's, but if you screenshot some of the closest ones and I think they are not just vague but good representations we can use them. LH's are low-priority for me compared to pretty much everything else, because I can't make them right now. There are tutorials out there, so maybe one day I can look into it. I just broke through into DLL modding, so new things are and will be coming shortly.

One quick modding question. I took a picture from the internet, converted it into a dds file, and replaced the picture currently in my mod, keeping the same name as the one it replaced. However it did not show up in my mod. Am I missing a step somewhere?
Not sure how your XML looks, but let's use my mod as an example:
Code:
        <LeaderheadArtInfo>
            <Type>ART_DEF_LEADER_CIRDAN</Type>
            <Button>Art\Leaderheads\Cirdan\Cirdan_BT.dds</Button>
            <NIF>Art\Leaderheads\Cirdan\Cirdan.dds</NIF>
            <KFM/>
            <NoShaderNIF>Art\Leaderheads\Cirdan\Cirdan.dds</NoShaderNIF>
            <BackgroundKFM/>
        </LeaderheadArtInfo>

Substitute <NIF> and <NoShaderNIF> with a .dds file that is 512x512 pixels. You are good to go. :thumbsup:

Update coming soon! I am uploading the new versions right now. Nothing spectacular, but I did get into DLL modding, which means new features will come eventually. :)

Fortification
"So now they began to labour hard in fortifying the main entrance, and in making a new path that led from it. Tools were to be found in plenty that the miners and quarriers and builders of old had used; and at such work the dwarves were still very skilled."

Future tech
“The future, good or ill, was not forgotten, but ceased to have any power over the present.”

Heraldry
"I was the herald of Gil-galad and marched with his host. I was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aiglos and Narsil, none could withstand."

Horse Mastery
"The horses of the Nine cannot vie with him; tireless, swift as the flowing wind. Shadowfax they called him. By day his coat glistens like silver; and by night it is like a shade, and he passes unseen. Light is his footfall! Never before had any man mounted him, but I took him and I tamed him, and so speedily he bore me that I reached the Shire when Frodo was on the Barrow-downs, though I set out from Rohan only when he set out from Hobbiton."

Horseback riding
“I will look after that. I am not sending the horse back, I am riding it!”

Another 5 here. A little under 30 techs left to go! :coffee:

Hunting
Suddenly on the path ahead appeared some white deer, a hind and fawns as snowy white as the hart had been dark. They glimmered in the shadows. Before Thorin could cry out three of the dwarves had leaped to their feet and loosed off arrows from their bows. None seemed to find their mark. The deer turned and vanished in the trees as silently as they had come, and in vain the dwarves shot their arrows after them.

Infantry Tactics
Then the hearts of the Noldor grew hot, and their captains wished to assail their foes upon the plain; but Húrin spoke against it, and bade them beware of the guile of Morgoth, whose strength was always greater than it seemed, and his purpose other than he revealed. And though the signal of the approach of Maedhros came not, and the host grew impatient, Húrin urged them still to await it, and to let the Orcs break themselves in assault upon the hills.

Iron Working
Their beards were forked and plaited and thrust into their belts. Their caps were of iron and they were shod with iron, and their faces were grim.

Jewelry
Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail, and about him on all sides stretching away across the unseen floors, lay countless piles of precious things, gold wrought and unwrought, gems and jewels, and silver red-stained in the ruddy light.

Literature
This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history. Further information will also be found in the selection from the Red Book of Westmarch that has already been published, under the title of The Hobbit. That story was derived from the earlier chapters of the Red Book, composed by Bilbo himself, the first Hobbit to become famous in the world at large, and called by him There and Back Again, since they told of his journey into the East and his return: an adventure which later involved all the Hobbits in the great events of that Age that are here related.

I added diplomacy sountracks to Arwen/Galadriel/Thranduil. I found and adapted files, now they loop properly. You can find them at the same dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/nif

I've already modified XML, if you need them I'll upload.

Wonders: have you tried my Endless Stairs model? Because I'm unable to make it appear in the game. Actually i'm 99/100 sure is a XML problem: I've even tried to insert those files into another wonder folder (i.e. Durin's Stone) and it appeared. Thus i'm clearly missing some xml files, probably CIV4CityLSystem, but I don't catch how you managed for others wonders. Send help.

Meanwhile, I can work time to time on more graphic stuff i.e.
-leaderheads (just need more practice about). Does anybody knows which files the background needs? a DDS, a KFM related and..? I'll ask in the proper forum also
-city stile. Would you like to have different city stiles based on the race? Men it's basically done, so eleves, dwarves and orcs.
-wonder movies. Here I shall ask you what do you prefer. There are three options (leaving the 4th option: to create a proper movie, which is basically out of my competences). So:
  1. Using brief videos from Peter Jackson's movies. But there aren't enough videos for all wonders I guess
  2. Screenshots from the trilogy, which leads to the same problem as above
  3. Static artistic pictures/paintings. Which I consider the best option, if copyrights issues are skippable (?)
Tell me what do you think about.
last but not least: I tried 0.2.5, the map is fantastic and finally ships are useful. There's only one issue: now it urges the creation of Umbar, cause actually the Anduin river prevents AI Gondor to settle South Gondor, leaving also those territories to Harad. And they become literally unbeatable. So, for the sake of gameplay, I would suggest you to reduce temporarily the eastern border of the map, until the new civs are ready to be created.

I added diplomacy sountracks to Arwen/Galadriel/Thranduil. I found and adapted files, now they loop properly. You can find them at the same dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/nif

I've already modified XML, if you need them I'll upload.
This link isn't working for me. Is there a public share link?

Wonders: have you tried my Endless Stairs model? Because I'm unable to make it appear in the game. Actually i'm 99/100 sure is a XML problem: I've even tried to insert those files into another wonder folder (i.e. Durin's Stone) and it appeared. Thus i'm clearly missing some xml files, probably CIV4CityLSystem, but I don't catch how you managed for others wonders. Send help.
I'm not sure why it isn't working. I tried it and I shall get to when I can. :)

Meanwhile, I can work time to time on more graphic stuff i.e.
-leaderheads (just need more practice about). Does anybody knows which files the background needs? a DDS, a KFM related and..? I'll ask in the proper forum also
Are you struggling with the XML or the art part? I can help you with knowing which files to edit, but not how to make leaderheads. There are tutorials out there though.

-city stile. Would you like to have different city stiles based on the race? Men it's basically done, so eleves, dwarves and orcs.
Yes, but you might be able to find some around here. It has always been lower on the priority but still an eventual goal. So if you track down the cities I will put them in.

-wonder movies. Here I shall ask you what do you prefer. There are three options (leaving the 4th option: to create a proper movie, which is basically out of my competences). So:
  1. Using brief videos from Peter Jackson's movies. But there aren't enough videos for all wonders I guess
  2. Screenshots from the trilogy, which leads to the same problem as above
  3. Static artistic pictures/paintings. Which I consider the best option, if copyrights issues are skippable (?)
Tell me what do you think about.
Option 3 for sure. Using stuff from the movie is more likely to get us in trouble, especially 1 & 2. You might be able to get some stuff from John Howe's website, because as long as he is attributed and appreciated, he doesn't mind too much. I have used his art for leaderheads.

All LOTR drawings are based off Tolkien's work, so using them and attributing them isn't usually a big deal. Depends on the artist. Just let me know.

last but not least: I tried 0.2.5, the map is fantastic and finally ships are useful. There's only one issue: now it urges the creation of Umbar, cause actually the Anduin river prevents AI Gondor to settle South Gondor, leaving also those territories to Harad. And they become literally unbeatable. So, for the sake of gameplay, I would suggest you to reduce temporarily the eastern border of the map, until the new civs are ready to be created.
I would rather create the new civilization. :p

I think I will, in fact, cave to all the popular demands and release an Umbar Civilization. But no promises of unique artwork for a while (eventually they will look like Corsairs.)

Re: Battering Ram issue

I think I found the reason AI's use Battering Rams so frequently. Let me test it for a while and we will see if it fixes the problem. Note that they will still use rams for city bombard.

This link isn't working for me. Is there a public share link?
wrong link, sorry :crazyeye: this is the correct one

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e2kdnaqeyobs0rz/AAAHv4ZVBeSfiT7LEXBe-Ehda?dl=0

Still, if you need XML files please ask me.

Option 3 for sure. Using stuff from the movie is more likely to get us in trouble, especially 1 & 2. You might be able to get some stuff from John Howe's website, because as long as he is attributed and appreciated, he doesn't mind too much. I have used his art for leaderheads.

Fine, I'll check those arts (and more) and manage to insert them

So I made some icons for the Values:

Beauty
Beauty.jpg

Cunningness
Cunningness.jpg

Diligence
Diligence.jpg

Knowledge
Knowledge.jpg

Power
Power.jpg

Prosperity
Prosperity.jpg

Valor
Valor.jpg

and an icon for Value itself to replace :religion:
Value.jpg

And this is how the look like in game font
upload_2018-7-13_11-5-32.png

I tried to make each icon look different and easy to recognize when you look at a city.
What do you think?

I have ideas for the spread sounds too, if you are interested.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-13_11-4-58.png
    upload_2018-7-13_11-4-58.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 123
I like all of the value icons. :goodjob: Go ahead and upload some sounds - I had some ideas too but let me hear yours. :)

For the Value icon itself, do you have a version of it without the circle (just the gem)? I think it would fit better with the other icons without the circle.

Top Bottom