Middle-earth Mod

[BTS] Middle-earth Mod 0.4.1

I would LOVE to have a tutorial for the most recent version of nifskope!
Spoiler :

Instead of stating 'I don't know how', I probably should have said that I haven't figured out how to switch weapons. I tried a tutorial, but I think I was using a different version of nifskope because the dropdown menu wasn't the same and I got tripped up almost immediately. I figured out how to remove items, and I kept messing around with the program for a while but I gave up (too easily, I admit) because I only wanted to learn to do that one thing. Rather than following guidebooks, I sometimes rely on intuition (e.g. I 'taught myself' how to xml), and for that reason I find nifskope intimidating.

So please, teach me to fish - I'm ready to feed myself for a lifetime!
I will teach you but I won't be able to get at it until Tuesday at the earliest.

Also I don't use the latest NifSkope. :lol: I had a bug with it concerning my scaled parts for certain units (affectionately known as headswaps), and I was burned. I never went back to the new one. ;)

See if you can find a unit with the right sword/dagger.
I feel like I remember seeing a shortswordsman somewhere on this forum or in a mod. I did find a couple units in PIE's Ancient Europe - one is the 'kurzschwert_german' (who is holding a Roman gladius) and the other one, which I greatly prefer, is the 'hebrew shortsword'.

EDIT:
Oh and look for a good weapon to swap in!
:ninja: My first ninja'd post - I'm honored :lol:

Attachments

• two shortsword units.zip
    158.3 KB · Views: 66
Either will probably work. Weapon swaps are easy. Animation swaps are a bit worse, and LHs are eh.

Alright, cool. Like you I'm not always at the command center of my computer, but I can usually check in once a day and respond by phone. I'm eager to learn the basics of nifskope, but at the same time I'm in no rush - so really whatever schedule/format works for you is fine by me.

Thanks again topsecret. Looking forward to gettin' schooled in some nifskope ;)

Tried this after long time and its really interesting and better looking than before! Keep up the good work. I am going to play few campaigns with it

Tried this after long time and its really interesting and better looking than before! Keep up the good work. I am going to play few campaigns with it
Thanks! Let me know how it goes. :)

Alright, cool. Like you I'm not always at the command center of my computer, but I can usually check in once a day and respond by phone. I'm eager to learn the basics of nifskope, but at the same time I'm in no rush - so really whatever schedule/format works for you is fine by me.

Thanks again topsecret. Looking forward to gettin' schooled in some nifskope ;)
Check out my new video tutorial on it! If you get confused at any part, just ask me a question and I'll put up some screenshots to help. :)

Hi top-secret,
I read some of your front posts.
The regions is an interesting idea.

I was thinking,
Civ have area, as a concept, which is devided by, water.
So,
Maybe, add a new terrain type, call it, border terrain or something.
Then, in the cv area code, find the code that checked for what is and area.
And copy its cope to define an area according to that border terrain.
If it works, adding the tags you defined, should not be difficult i guess.

For the sport of it, ill have a look at the code :)

Hi top-secret,
I read some of your front posts.
The regions is an interesting idea.

I was thinking,
Civ have area, as a concept, which is devided by, water.
So,
Maybe, add a new terrain type, call it, border terrain or something.
Then, in the cv area code, find the code that checked for what is and area.
And copy its cope to define an area according to that border terrain.
If it works, adding the tags you defined, should not be difficult i guess.

For the sport of it, ill have a look at the code :)
Probably possible. It's also possible to put an invisible layer (kind of like Civ6 continents). How do I know? Because RFC: DoC works that way. (It uses Python but I want DLL bc I am picky :lol: )

I need to do it the second way because.of how I am going to implement regions. Continents have their own implementation, but Regions will grant rewards based on who owns them. Small rewards, yes, but still rewards.

RFC: DoC works that way
rhye?
whats happening there? im not familiar.
also - (kind of like Civ6 continents). whats in civ6 in that regards?

DLL bc I am picky
i also prefer dll code.

i had some more thought.
maybe even simpler - 3rd water terrain type.
in plot.cpp, exclude it parts of the code which render it impassible along with other ocde related.
make the game tagit with water, but, allow normal usage when it comes to all the important parts.
then you could just add this terrain to the map and encircle the map with it.
if you want the texture to not be different, i guess a copy of this terrain should be duplicated per regular terrain.

i think this method could have these land chunks as areas, just like continents.

rhye?
whats happening there? im not familiar.
also - (kind of like Civ6 continents). whats in civ6 in that regards?
In Leoreth's modmod of Rhye's, he has "core areas", "historical areas", and so forth. He uses these to affect the stability of the civs. You can just click a button and see what the different areas are.

Civ6 has different continents even if the land areas are connected. In this screenshot, the slightly different colors on each space represent the two different continents even though they are connected via land:
Spoiler :

i also prefer dll code.

i had some more thought.
maybe even simpler - 3rd water terrain type.
in plot.cpp, exclude it parts of the code which render it impassible along with other ocde related.
make the game tagit with water, but, allow normal usage when it comes to all the important parts.
then you could just add this terrain to the map and encircle the map with it.
if you want the texture to not be different, i guess a copy of this terrain should be duplicated per regular terrain.

i think this method could have these land chunks as areas, just like continents.
I think using the current continents system is possible, but I don't want to go that direction because it still creates a one tile "gap" in between each area. On the small map, for example, that wouldn't work very well in between some regions.

I need to create a new "layer" basically that just says "this tile is part of this region" that we can store on a tile. I think it will be more work, but you will like how it ends up. I can do "open development" in a DLL thread so you can see the direction I am taking it. It will be after I finish the new unit models for the new unit classes.

RFC GW fairly recently added regions. The modder in charge bluepotato tends to like to do most things in the dll, so its quite possible he coded the regions in there, if that helps at all!
Any plans to add any more civs to the mod?

RFC GW fairly recently added regions. The modder in charge bluepotato tends to like to do most things in the dll, so its quite possible he coded the regions in there, if that helps at all!
Any plans to add any more civs to the mod?
I will look into that!

Eventually yes:
The Shire
Khand
Dol Guldur
The other 6 Dwarf houses
The split kingdoms of Arnor
The Reunited Kingdom
Forodwaith
Orcs of the Misty Mountains

And maybe more.

All of those civs equal work, work, work. They will probably be the last things I do :lol: I need to get current civs unit artstyles updated, add the remaining DLL features, and clean up the Civilopedia text. Once all that is done, I will add the other civs. :D

Did you create all of your unit art? And if so what app did you use?
I created most of it. Chuggi was the biggest other creator. I used Blender and NifSkope, which have various tutorials in the tutorials section. I am also working on video tutorials for them but those will take a while.

As I make the flavor units for the next update, I will be posting them in my unit thread. If you want to see what some of them look like, check them out there. :)

I would like anti-animal promo for scout units, Wargs are really deadly.
This is a good suggestion. I can add it in the next update.

Here is an improvement I have been working on for the past day.
The game only reads the Village part.
I used the village, castle, stable, and walls and created a Castle Town, I don't know why the game only reads the village maybe you can check it out and tell me.

The nif file is called 1Castle_Town (it's the first file in the folder.)

Attachments

• CastleTown.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Here is an improvement I have been working on for the past day.
The game only reads the Village part.
I used the village, castle, stable, and walls and created a Castle Town, I don't know why the game only reads the village maybe you can check it out and tell me.

The nif file is called 1Castle_Town (it's the first file in the folder.)
It's not because you're not making the NIF right. I think it's fine. I believe the problem lies in the PlotLSystem, which copies and readjusts the NIFs. I don't really understand the system.
However, there's a possible work-around.

Perhaps if we make a new improvement that still is called "town" in game but has a different identifier in the XML files, and then we assign it a different ArtStyle, we may be able to get it to show up. Let me test that.

Top Bottom