Midgard fantasy mod

Yorgos said:
That's a very kind thing of you to say. Thank you. Though I disagree; you may enjoy Midgard more, but Warhammer is the best mod ever. Not only because it's the most complex mod (and the first of its kind), but, most important, because it’s the first that managed to exploit the editor to modify the rules in a way unknown before. I and many other moders use the mechanics of Warhammer, and even our new ideas (like the native terrain feature) wouldn't be possible without it.

Maybe to you. :lol:

Just kidding. well, I LOVED Civ2, so this was a little slice of heaven for me. :goodjob:

Midgard 1.1 is here and linked in the first post!

There is no patch for players with older versions of Midgard, sorry. However the new installer is smaller and hosted by civfanatics instead of 3d downloads (and thus much easier to download).

With Midgard 1.1 I may not win a prize for the best mod, but I'll definitely win one for the coolest installer... you'll see what I mean.

If your installer is so cool, let everyone use it for easier installation ad well, I think Sword will use this on his Hearts of Destiny to improve his installation.

Can you add in some custom music so that we can hear something else then original civ 3 music, something that fit for this game.

Good point about the installer. I created a thread to propose a couple of installer builder programs to others modders.

About the music, it would greatly increase the download size. Of course I can add it as an optional download, but still I'd have to face copywrite issues. But what I can do is using short excerpts for the diplomacy music. I'll think about it if more people ask for custom music.

played your game and I kinda like it, it remind me of the basic game of the RPG's that started off with.

Oh, and the custom music, I don't care how long the file going to be, cause I got a good computer and Fast internet.

The date/year display in the game is messed up-it just reads "Nov", no actual year is shown. How many turns are in the mod?

Gatsby, you're playing Conquests without the 1.22 patch. I strongly recommend using 1.22 (you can download it from civ3's site). However there is a way to play properly without it, I've included instructions in the Readme, located in your civilization III/conquests/scenarios/midgard folder.

About the music:

I discovered that Baldur's Gate 2 soundtrack is available at 3d downloads. While it's not great music, it will work nice to set an appropriate atmosphere. Another option is using music from Arcana. I've also spoted various songs among my disks that will fit for diplomacy music (up to 35 seconds excerpts, it has been done with other mods). Now the question is, should I actually make a custom soundtrack, or leave it as it is?

Nearing the end of the first era with the Humans and it's great fun. Or, at least, it was until I got into a series of wars with the Stygians. These guys are tough. If I get any troops into boats and headed over to sort them out, dragons appear and annihilate them in a single pass!

Also, I'm actually quite scared by the voodoo dolls.

Otherwise this is great fun and really imaginative. I don't know the history of this setting so it's all new to me, and it seems interestingly different from the standard fantasy fare. The business with the "shallow sea" is definitely different, as is the whole idea of "native terrain". My only criticism so far is that the Sailor seems overpowered: there's not much point going for Swordsmen when you could go for these guys instead. But it doesn't seem to be very unbalancing. Although it looks odd to have Stygian Sailors attacking me surrounded by undead horsemen and the like.

It's good you like it, perhaps the most important point in modding is, as you well know, making other people enjoy it.

The setting is based on the homonymous civ2 scenario, which was my favourite, though I’ve made many changes/additions. The native terrain feature is one of them. What I learned from other mods is that a good mod or scenario should have something new to offer in terms of gameplay, and that's what I tried to accomplish.

The Stygians are really tough on purpose, and they're not intended to be controlled by human players - unless they try at a very high difficulty level. In fact their undead monsters will attack you, no matter if you're at war with them or not (though they tend to leave you in peace if they have a good opinion of you).

You may want to try other races as well, as they all provide different gameplay experience. The Humans are the most "casual" civilisation available, while the Butteons and the Merfolks are really exotic and they'll force you to try new strategies.

I had two games of your mod Yorgos and i was really enjoying it. I played as the Merfolk, however on my first game i lost the town of Seaview and this made me lose a space race?(thats what the game said)

Ok i thought, i must need to defend that town or i lose but on my second game as Merfolk again i destroyed a human town that was not already on the map at the start of the game and it wiped out the humans as soon as i destroyed the town.

Is this feature intended? How can i edit the mod to stop this?
I enjoy games that last right down to the final city so having my civ or another wiped out for losing a single city was not fun.

Ya I agree, however don't worry its got nothing to do with this mod. You see your on elimination as a victory condition. Thats why when you play, whoever loses a single town is eliminted. Its Easy to fix, just look in game properties and revert back to the basic victory conditions you enjoy. Ok? Later.

I just realised i forgot to install the 1.22 patch and the labels were all messed up so that caused me to pick elimination instead of conquest victory.:lol:

The mod is working great thanks alot for making it.:goodjob:

Just finished a lengthy game as the Buteons. I didn't start so well - lost my city on the Great Continent, though I'd just founded another there so I still had a precarious foothold. I zoomed ahead in techs thanks to some cunning trading. I discovered the Goblins' and Infidels' continent just as they were both trying to expand into the northwest corner; I fought a quick war with the Goblins and grabbed almost all the land in that area. Then I discovered that I could send over Eaglemen and Hawks without needing boats, so a couple of good wars with the Goblins saw me seize some very nice land on the continent. Unfortunately I fell very far behind in techs - even far behind the lowly Elves, whom I had previously thought very thick. Still, the Goblins seemed to be more powerful than I'd hoped, so after a while I turned on the Infidels with great success. I was delighted to find that I could Hill Giants to my two feeble cities on the Great Continent, and with them I simply smashed my way through the Infidels' small empire there and claimed it for myself. On their home continent, the Infidels proved unable to do much against my brilliant strategy: first, I would use the godlike power of my immense fleet of Great Eagles to annihilate all opposition in the target city, then I would swoop in with an Eagleman cunningly positioned three tiles away. In this way I managed to conquer most of their empire with minimal losses, whilst also being able to speed up research since I wasn't actually building any new units for the war. I was beginning the bombardment of the Infidels' capital, and had claimed all but one of the Humans' Great Continent cities (they were foolish enough to be allied to the Infidels, although I was surprised to see them using flying ships to attack my Great Eagles) when the Stygians claimed a culture victory. Curse them!

A really good mod all round - very playable and very atmospheric.

[EDIT] Here's a picture of my final humiliation. If it weren't for the cultural thing I would have been in a position to start doing pretty well, I think...

I installed the program, but it's not showing up my Civ game. It's in the conquests folder, but it's not showing up as an option. Any idea what's up?

Yes, I just checked again and it goes from mediteranean to mid island to middle ages. Tus strange...

Top Bottom