Minor requests and questions thread

ok i think the magic needs a renovating ive thought about it and this will give amurites a lot more power to ok think of the elemental wheel fire is the opposite of water and ice earth is the opposite of water ice is the opposite of fire earth simple right ok imagine that with all of the mana styles in erebus its a lot right so you can go and make it at where mage with fire 1 cant gain water 1 there opposites thats where amurites come in they CAN get both there the best mages but thats not all think of "mixing" orbs fire2 + shadow2 = shadowfire a much better fireball that is 1 invisible 2 does much more damage 3 does damage plus injure the people as well as break the wall thats protecting them or say body 1 + shadow 1 = faster and invisible with less chance of wearing off or say creation1 + death 1 + body 1 the more you mix the better the spell they would probably make creation=summoning death =using something about death body= an enhancement spell so it would probably make something like a stronger faster diseased corpse but remember the wheel ,,, each style would make something different but only amurites can learn the opposites o and i would make mana nodes be something that increases the power of the spells lets say a fireball cast by an amurites mage with 5 fire mana would probably start with +100 strength just a thought it would be awesome to c though o i like the sig glorious

o i dont get the industrious trait +10 to wonder skilled workers and extra hammers not to sound rude or anything but heres an idea what if it was a basic %style trait city gets plus %20-10 percent to hammers and workers get a boost to building roads/ certain improvements or maybe roads should be financial .... but anyway lets say a normal 100% work rate worker is building a watermill simple right then lets say an industrious worker is building a watermill 2 the industrious worker should get done a nice bit faster say 2-3 turns but not as far as building a farm an agricultural worker would build that faster because they can grow things better and faster simple things that improve the game sry again if i sound rude

Your idea for the magic has already been mentioned in the Balance & Suggestions thread. It's a good idea; at least one I like :)

As for the second one, I don't get it. Can you try to write with punctuation, please? It's hard to read, even more for non native speakers :(

Here's an oldie: How about bringing back the way captured Elvish (and Orcish?) slaves used to their racial abilities? I always thought it was fun to send out a slaving expedition to round up a batch of pointy-eared workers and then have them build stuff on my forest plots.

New spell: Polymorph -- randomly changes the unit's race.

I'm fairly sure this was an intended-- and rather frustrating-- effect in the original FFH2 game, but it seems a little bizarre in Orbis. When the Fel lands encroach on your territory certain resources, mostly those that appear in the vanilla version of FFH2, change into other resources:

Horse -> Nightmares (Replaces Horses in most instances, except for the Wonder 'Ride of the Nine Kings')
Marble -> Shuet Stone
Corn -> Snake Pillars
Pigs -> Toads
Cows -> Toads?

There may be others, but I don't remember what was originally on my map in places, heh.

I've been playing a game as the Sheaim recently, and I've noticed that many of my resources suddenly disappear-- namely those that are converted into Snake Pillars, since that is an 'improvement' rather than a resource, and offers nothing beyond the hammers/food/gold that the city working it gets. The loss of corn and the like is bad enough, but factor in the fact that Shuet Stone replaces Marble on the map, but not as a usable resource-- Projects that get a +50% production with Marble don't get one from Shuet Stone, nor does the Order of Arches gain anything from having Shuet Stone resources (Which can be a major loss overall hammers and research.)

It seems to me that the Fel resources should be a little more diverse, or at least a little more functional. It's horrible to have the 'hell lands' take over your bread-basket city, and suddenly find yourself surrounded by pillars that only give +2 Food, when you used to have a farm there that was giving +6, +7 or +8.

As well, it might be interesting to use the same sort of mechanic on the Haunted Lands, since the game already states that there are odd flora and fauna living in the haunted lands. I can see the Scions having a 'Haunted Harvester' as a sort of Recon/Spy that spreads the 'Unwholesome Addiction'.

Really, I just wanted to spew a bit about the annoyance of that mechanic. Sorry if this is frustrating. xD

@GeoMancer - Its called hell terrain for a reason... there are spells that remove it - or you could try and keep the AC counter low... or if its all totally annoying there is an option to turn off hell terrain altogether.

I also agree with you that Fel resources should be more diverse and give odd benefits... maybe some good with bad... or good for evil civs and bad for good ones...

Don't no if its been mentioned but you could make a spell called firestorm creates a random number of fireballs and the ring of fire effect and damages units with a 50% chance to do 75% damage within a range of 1

One thing I would like to see is a bit of differentiation between "magic" spells and spells that really are placeholders for some action. The main time this is significant is if that damn World Spell that blocks all magic is cast (Arcane Lacuna?). One game I was building up forts to defend myself against an oncoming horde, only to find that I couldn't add Fort Commanders for another 25 turns. Exploring dens is another one of these weird, psuedo spells (I think).

Similarly, shouldn't Mechanos Tech priest abilities not be blocked by Arcane Lacuna? This brings up another odd effect which is that a number of Mechanos available rituals, items, wonders, etc are definitely supposed to be magical. Is the assumption that the Mechanos just achieve the same effects without magic?

@Rosetint: Hmmm. I wonder what is the purpose of the "iAbility" tag then. I'll take a look at how the "disable spellcasting" thing works.

Mechanos: well, it's just that Ahwaric either didn't want to create a new version of the wonder (a non magical one) or either didn't want to bar them from getting it :)

-----

I think the Scions should get replacement buildings for both Granary and Smokehouse :D

Yeah, I completely understand why Ahwaric wouldn't want to go through all that extra work when there wouldn't be much benefit. I wonder if there is a simple way to drive home the fact that the Mechanos achieve similar effects without the use of magic? The Pact of Nilhorn is just good diplomacy and Nature's Revolt is chemical mutations and selective breed and release program. Perhaps if Mechanos automatically substituted Refined Mana for all other mana requirements bonuses in Rituals. On a similar issue, it seems wrong that they should begin with Enchantment Mana and still be able to get bonuses from possessing other types of mana.

I agree about Scions getting a replacement building for Granary and Smokehouse. They are presently still useful since Scions tend to have early problems with Unhealthiness but they aren't worth the build cost unless you really don't have much to build. Perhaps the new buildings could decrease the cost of building Awakened by 5 or 10% each. If you wanted to make them really valuable, they could be combined, made more expensive and provide +1 population. The reasoning behind the building could be that it is a specialized dormatory/district for housing the living worker portion of the Scion population and gradually converting those that die naturally to undead status. Things I don't think they should do is provide happiness (because Scions already tend to have more happiness than they need) or money/production (because those are rarely in short supply for early scions).

For some reason Orbis runs really horrible for me. The time between turns is around 10 seconds, even at the beginning of the game, while it's not even a second when playing FfH or FF.

My PC is quite good too:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,8 Ghz
4 GB RAM
GeForce GT 140
Vista 32-bit

Like I said, the game runs perfectly with all the other mods, yet Orbis takes forever. I've tried Standard maps, once with "Play now" and twice with a custom game.

For some reason Orbis runs really horrible for me. The time between turns is around 10 seconds, even at the beginning of the game, while it's not even a second when playing FfH or FF.

My PC is quite good too:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,8 Ghz
4 GB RAM
GeForce GT 140
Vista 32-bit

Like I said, the game runs perfectly with all the other mods, yet Orbis takes forever. I've tried Standard maps, once with "Play now" and twice with a custom game.

Sorry for thsi not very helpfull sugesstion but have you tried a fresh install from base FfH?

are you playing with barbarian world on? it seems to slow down orbis to a crawl for some weird reason. IIRC it used to be that way in an older version of FF.

I agree about Scions getting a replacement building for Granary and Smokehouse.

The reasoning behind the building could be that it is a specialized dormitory/district for housing the living worker portion of the Scion population and gradually converting those that die naturally to undead status.

When I think of the Scions, I always think of a sort of odd cross between a decadent Byzantine Empire and the Red Kingdom of Barsoom (In that they were a proud race but now live on knowing their world is dying). The Scions brand of 'un-death' seems predicated on sort of freezing a moment of glory in amber. So if you think you already have perfection, there isn't necessary a lot of motivation to generate new things. So I would expect the Scions to have a lot decadent games to amuse the undead.

Perhaps fighting in gladiatorial games or fiendish versions of "Scions Idol" is how many of the living are chosen to become undead. So perhaps in place of these food generators, they would be replace by buildings that be more like the Bloodpens.

Plus, maybe I've been playing a bit more of Colonization of late, but it strikes me that wouldn't the Scions have 'volunteers' showing up on their borders to try to be granted the Undeath? Same for the Calabim in a way. I would think that if either has a certain level of culture or happiness, that they would possibly get bonus in population or possibly living units created by the Scions, 'You want the Glory of the Empire; Go out and prove you are worthy!"

Just some thoughts.

I had a similar issue a while back where my game because incredibly slow. The problem was a corrupted configuration file in my Civ 4 installation. I can't rememeber exactly what the file was unfortunately but try doing some Googling. The solution was to rename the config file and let Civ 4 generate a new one.

[to_xp]Gekko;8427378 said:
are you playing with barbarian world on? it seems to slow down orbis to a crawl for some weird reason. IIRC it used to be that way in an older version of FF.

Huh, yeah I did. It seems to run better without Barbarian World, but it's still a lot slower then FfH/FF.

I had a similar issue a while back where my game because incredibly slow. The problem was a corrupted configuration file in my Civ 4 installation. I can't rememeber exactly what the file was unfortunately but try doing some Googling. The solution was to rename the config file and let Civ 4 generate a new one.

That sounds interesting. Googling didn't really bring up any real results though. Maybe someone has some insights on this?

When I think of the Scions, I always think of a sort of odd cross between a decadent Byzantine Empire and the Red Kingdom of Barsoom (In that they were a proud race but now live on know their world is dying). The Scions brand of 'un-death' seems predicated on sort of freezing a moment of glory in amber. So if you think you already have perfection, there isn't necessary a lot of motivation to generate new things. So I would expect the Scions to have a lot decadent games to amuse the undead.
Perfection looked at Scions, but he bought a Honda Fit instead.

I think the file you are looking for is "Civilization4.ini". Try renaming it to something else and then run Civ 4. It should regenerate the file and hopefully fix your problems.

Top Bottom