1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Minor requests and questions thread

Discussion in 'Orbis Modmod' started by Ahwaric, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Opera

Opera Deity

Doesn't it even do so in base FFH...? I think it's something like 'cleaning an area where a lot of blood was spilled' ;)

2. A Golden Dragon

A Golden Dragon Golden Dragon

could be, and your explanation well, i understand if it was about removing souls and negative presences. But to actually remove the ruïnes, it seems unlogical to use life mana. so far lore wise.

3. Schwarzbart

Schwarzbart Prince

because razing a City gives + 1 to the Armargedon Coounter and Sanctivy is the way to remove this (At last as fare I know it).

4. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Exactly what Schwarzbart said. Razing a city adds 1 to the AC, sanctifying it drops the AC. Very good trick if you're at war....

5. KrugSmash

KrugSmash Warlord

Unfortunately with sanctify being the only way to remove them, my mechanos game was made a bit more difficult. I ended up just planting a unit on each one for the 60 turns it takes to change. In the hell-land surrounding bradeline's well on the sheaim's continent, this meant a lot of guys just sitting around doing nothing.

Also adding to the difficulty was this big patch of hell land constantly spawning demons. Instead of moving my powerful army along to the next nation, I had to leave a lot of my bigger units like grenadiers and steam tanks and gryphon knights spread out around this patch to kill off the demon beast masters and death knights that would keep spawning, for the 100 or so turns it took the hell land to recede.

6. Valkrionn

In FFPlus, I gave Adeptus/Techpriests access to a few more spells... And moved them all to require one of the four mana node techs. Makes them more useful, as you can get the likes of Spring and Sanctify from them.

7. KrugSmash

KrugSmash Warlord

That would be quite nice.

Dear Ahwaric; Assimilate!

8. pimparel

pimparel Chieftain

could you review the growth rate of kelp? It's everywhere in my games.

9. Rosetint

Rosetint Chieftain

Can we add the "Create new map" or "Regenerate map" option back onto the main menu? The one the builds you a new map on the first turn if you wind up in the middle of a desert.

10. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I've been enslaved by SketchUp, any requests? buildings that is, please give a picture too

11. A Golden Dragon

Regenerate map seems to be included in the next FfH patch

12. civ_king

:woohoo::beer::dance:

13. A Golden Dragon

lol XD

alright let's not bother ahwaric with this :p

14. Opera

Opera Deity

Okay, so... I've been playing my first Mechanos game since a long time... Didn't get far for now but, according to the pedia, I've already built every unique building and I'm not even finished with mid-game.

As they don't use mana, I don't think they should get some from their palace. Replace Enchantment with +1 happy on each city of this continent (or globally if you want... I just think +1 just on the continent is enough). Earth mana passive effect will perfectly be replaced by Refined mana one. They will have to wait to get it, though... But they start with copper, so it's fine.

I say, give them an Alchemy Lab replacement; +25%:science: with power.

As we're talking about commerces modified by power, what about a Concert Hall replacing Theatre? +40%:culture: with power? Among other bonuses, mainly those of bland theatres.

Of course, this would require actually creating the PowerCommerceModifiers ;)

Still about power, I think a Power Plant should require a Factory. It feels really good to gain access to power but, I don't know, I feel like it should come more slowly: first a Factory, then a Power Plant.

Two other building ideas:

1) Steam Transportation Network, a sort of public transportation using steam-powered vehicles ;) +1:), +1:health: (like in BTS), +10%:gold:?

2) Nefport: an aeroport for zeppelins and such. Can Airlift X units per turn.

... And that's all for now!

15. civ_king

How about the Empire City Building? (Empire States building) requires Palace and gives boost to Zeppelins and such!

16. Valkrionn

Just wanted to say... I love those ideas. :goodjob:

17. KrugSmash

KrugSmash Warlord

As for the enchantment mana, why they get that may have something to do with the Caminus Aureus wonder(1mithril, weaponsmith in every city) requiring enchantment mana to build. I never would have guessed why they got that particular mana, but I'd traded it out early in the game and then had to wonder why I couldn't build that thing...

Of course rather than keeping that mana it may make more sense to alter and tone down that seriously powerful wonder.

18. Opera

Opera Deity

I still think Caminus Aureus shouldn't give Mithril :)

Anyway, I had some more ideas about the mechanos:

A new damage type, Power; it would have a chance to cause a Shocked promotion on units, making them unable to heal and lose 2:move: points.
    Some Mechanos units would start with Power damage but mainly, it would be tied to a 'mithril replacement', needing a building to auto-apply a +2 Power damage prom to units built in the city, NOT replacing Iron Weapons;
    (but no access to Mithril, as it's more magical than other metals)

I would also like it if there was a Train unit (national limit: 4) with 4 moves, 6 cargo and which would require railroad to move and Iron to be built. Would be necessary to teach the AI how to use it though.

-----

Also, ideas for a reworked affinity system: instead of just increasing strength, make it so affinity can give promotions; say, set it so promotion X needs a affinity to fire to 1 so be gained. 'Affinity to fire' would need another promo to be activated on the unit, or may be part of it. So you'd see something like Chalid, 2 fire affinity; it won't mean he will gain 2 strength for each fire mana you own. Instead, it will mean his affinity to fire will go up by 2 points for each fire mana you own; and the total of points will determine what 'affinity-promo' the unit will gain :)

-----

Had an idea about reworking the technology trading system...

Currently, once you know one certain tech, you can trade techs with other people (ie, with Writing). What I would like to is to set it so you'd need some specific techs before trading some others. For example, Education would allow trading of Arcane Lore... while Writing would only allow you to trade, say, KotE.

But the main idea would be to set a 'leak ratio' so that if you are in contact with another civ which know a certain tech, you will progressively gain beakers towards it even without researching it. This ratio would depend on the tech but also on how you interact with said civ. The more trade routes, the stronger the ratio; but war won't let you gain anything. Spying might also become handy to get techs...

(One idea could be to then remove tech trading completely)

-----

An idea linked to this would be to make Steam Power leak. It would like very slowly so that a non-Mechanos civ would pop it only during Renaissance or so.

I know, this may sound wrong as it is Mechanos' unique tech and that FFH has a tradition of preserving uniqueness as much as possible. But my idea here is to allow the FFH world to transition to a steampunk technology through the Renaissance, gaining access to trains, zeppelins and such in late game, a way to, maybe, spice things up.

Mechanos would still be unique enough because they would have it since a long time already and the other civs wouldn't have all the unique things of the Mechanos (like, no refined mana).

-----

And that's it for idea time!

19. Willgar

Willgar Prince

Really nice ideas for Mechanos Opera but do you feel that they are underpowered? or are the ideas just for flavour? Personally, i can steam roll just about every other race (apart from the damn elves) with the Mechanos due to thier early access to Bronze and strong production. Giving them more military power might require a major rebalance....

20. Opera

Opera Deity

Hmmm, yeah, no, I mean... Yes, I'm talking about flavor, no I don't think they are underpowered. They're pretty decent but they lack a bit of flavor in my opinion.

Also, perhaps the early copper is too unbalancing? I don't really know...