Missing Civs Poll

Which of these civs do you want to return? (Choose 10)

• Assyria

Votes: 79 31.2%
  • Austria

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • Babylon

Votes: 155 61.3%
  • Byzantium

Votes: 162 64.0%
  • Carthage

Votes: 143 56.5%
  • Celts (or Gaul)

Votes: 62 24.5%
  • Denmark

Votes: 24 9.5%
  • Ethiopia

Votes: 142 56.1%
  • Hatti

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Huns

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Inca

Votes: 214 84.6%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 73 28.9%
  • Mali

Votes: 151 59.7%
  • Maya

Votes: 177 70.0%
  • Morocco

Votes: 65 25.7%
  • Ottoman Turks

Votes: 194 76.7%
  • Polynesia (or Hawaii or Maori)

Votes: 102 40.3%
  • Portugal

Votes: 150 59.3%
  • Shoshone

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Siam

Votes: 45 17.8%
  • Sioux

Votes: 57 22.5%
  • Songhai

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 72 28.5%
  • Venice (or Italy)

Votes: 85 33.6%

• Total voters
Debatable. But this wouldn't be the first time Civ has taken Herodotus at face value.
Well they did give Scythia Gelonius as a city, which he named it as their capital, which was mythological but that's another story.
P.S. Due to the discussion on this thread I have seen the Hittites pass the Huns. Also people want Mali back over Songhai. :dance:

Well they did give Scythia Gelonius as a city, which he named it as their capital, which was mythological but that's another story.
P.S. Due to the discussion on this thread I have seen the Hittites pass the Huns. Also people want Mali back over Songhai. :dance:

I don't know if I'd call that mythical. It's named after a mythical character or at least there's a connection between the city and the mythical character. But that was pretty normal.

My issue with that city is that it had nothing to do with Tomyris and even Herodotus claims they were originally Greek. It was more like a creole or a frontier settlement.

There are a lot of good potential returning civs and leaders that are still not in. Going down the list:

Assyria is really underrated I feel, just a dominant military for it's time and very influential. I felt like getting in 5 was very overdue and would love to see them back.
Austria - Europe is pretty well covered right now, and honestly Germany overlaps a lot with them if we are doing an HRE focused Germany as in the game. I would rate them as low priority.
Babylon - Hugely influential, a lot of geographic overlap with Sumeria, but still they are pretty huge just to be a city state. Give em Hammurabi and get them in.
Byzantium - Interesting, but covers a lot of Greek and Roman territory both geographically and culturally which are already well represented. Wouldn't rate them as top priority, wouldn't be too upset with them coming back either.
Carthage - These guys are mostly famous for being enemies of Rome, and I wasn't too impressed with them in Civ 4 and 5. Wouldn't be too sad to see them go, but I know there are a lot of Carthage fans out there and it fills up a spot on the map
Celts - We have already had a Scotland carve out and I don't like survey/blob civs. Gauls would be fine by themselves, again they are mostly famous for being enemies of Rome though.
Denmark - Already have a Viking civ, and if we are doing a modern Scandinavian civ Sweden would be a better choice.
Ethiopia - Always a good an interesting choice. Very notable, a bit close to Nubia though.
Hatti/Hittites - Not a bad choice, but I would go with Assyrians first for a bronze age militaristic civ, Hittites were a bit of a flash in the pan.
Huns - Meh. Scythians and Mongols already cover both major branches of Steppe Nomads (Iranic and Altaic). Not much to add here. Would honestly rather see Goths or Franks for a fall of rome/dark ages era civ.
Inca - Great choice for a variety of reasons, good location, unique, high priority
Iroquois - We already have a NA civ, but I like the Iroquois and feel like if there's going to be another they are a good choice.
Mali - Great choice, very important, very unique and characterful, hits 2 underrepresented categories right now- subsaharan african and islamic.
Maya - Always a good option for another Mesoamerican civ.
Morrocco - I would like some North African berber/islamic civ to be represented. Morroco probably is as good as any of the candidates, but a different direction wouldn't be bad either.
Ottoman Turks - A massive power for a long time, very influential, another as yet underrepresented islamic civ, no reason for these guys not to be in.
Polynesia - I don't like blob/survey civs. Maori or Hawaii wouldn't be bad, though Hawaii would be a terrible start on a TSL map. I would go with Maori here if there's a Polynesian civ at all. Indonesia and Norway hit their Civ 5 niche hard, though.
Portugul - No problems here, influential over large areas of the world, and we can always use more trader civs
Shoshone - Cree take over a lot of their niche in CiV, would need a rework.
Siam - Not a bad choice, but a lot of overlap with the Khmer. Would probably rather see a Vietnam civ if they are going back to SEA
Souix - Could be interesting, no problem with Souix as a plains native american civ.
Songhai - Overlaps too much with Mali who I feel is a better choice
Sweden - Interesting choice, but in a crowded field and already well represented area, I probably wouldn't make them a priority.
Venice - Would rather see a united Renaissance italy with a couple of different leaders to represent city states, like Greece is now.

The leaders at the moment are for
America: 1. Inca, 2. Maya
Asia: 1. Ottoman Turk, 2. Babylon
Africa: 1. Mali, 2. Carthage

Europe: 1. Byzantium, 2. Portugal

I could live with this selection:)

I definitely want to see at least the Inca, but with an important caviat - the leader being Manco Capac or Pachacuti, NOT Atawalpa, whom most people I see (including Firaxis) tend to settle on by default, but I think would be a horrible choice for them.

I definitely want to see at least the Inca, but with an important caviat - the leader being Manco Capac or Pachacuti, NOT Atawalpa, whom most people I see (including Firaxis) tend to settle on by default, but I think would be a horrible choice for them.
Has Atahualpa ever led the Inca in Civ? I think he'd be an entertaining Civ6 leader, prancing about with his brother's gilt skull. :mischief: But on a more serious note, I hope we get Huayna Capac, rather than the return of Pachacuti. Gilgamesh brings us to quota on "first historical king still shrouded in legends after a list of purely mythical kings." (And in case I'm being unclear in the midst of my sarcasm, yes, I'm aware Pachacuti was a real Sapa Inca, but he's still the first historical Sapa Inca after a list of mythical kings with a host of legends attached to him. I'd much rather have the better attested [and still awesome] Huayna Capac.) I wouldn't complain about Atahualpa, though; madness can be entertaining in moderation. ;) Whomever they choose, though, I still insist they be as dripping in gold as Monty is quetzal feathers.

Has Atahualpa ever led the Inca in Civ? I think he'd be an entertaining Civ6 leader, prancing about with his brother's gilt skull. :mischief: But on a more serious note, I hope we get Huayna Capac, rather than the return of Pachacuti. Gilgamesh brings us to quota on "first historical king still shrouded in legends after a list of purely mythical kings." (And in case I'm being unclear in the midst of my sarcasm, yes, I'm aware Pachacuti was a real Sapa Inca, but he's still the first historical Sapa Inca after a list of mythical kings with a host of legends attached to him. I'd much rather have the better attested [and still awesome] Huayna Capac.) I wouldn't complain about Atahualpa, though; madness can be entertaining in moderation. ;) Whomever they choose, though, I still insist they be as dripping in gold as Monty is quetzal feathers.
But Pachacuti was the one attributed to the ordering of the building of the Machu Picchu temple complex.

But Pachacuti was the one attributed to the ordering of the building of the Machu Picchu temple complex.
Pachacuti was a fine choice for Civ5, whose theme seemed to be "greatest or most loved leader," but in Civ6, Huayna Capac or Atahualpa would be bigger personalities. Of the two, I'd prefer Huayna Capac, who has both a successful reign and not being a psychopath to recommend him, but as I said, "insane" can certainly qualify as a "big personality"...

but as I said, "insane" can certainly qualify as a "big personality"...
This, of course, especially as applied to historical leaders, could easily apply to two VERY famous leaders, one born in Georgia and one born in Austria, whom Firaxis avoid like the plague and certain mods on these forums make red text warnings and shut down threads if their actual names are said too often in any context... :p

This, of course, especially as applied to historical leaders, could easily apply to two VERY famous leaders, one born in Georgia and one born in Austria, whom Firaxis avoid like the plague and certain mods on these forums make red text warnings and shut down threads if their actual names are said too often in any context... :p
I don't think either of them were insane. Just evil.

I don't think Maria Theresa or Tamar were ever insane. :p
Speaking of that now that we have Georgia, we should get Austria as well with the leader mentioned above.

I don't think Maria Theresa or Tamar were ever insane. :p
Speaking of that now that we have Georgia, we should get Austria as well with the leader mentioned above.
You have my vote. :D

Last edited:
There's a very good reason we don't have tundra-based civs: civilization never flourished in the tundra. Even Russia had all of its major cities well south of the tundra; their tundra bonuses are really not representative at all from a historical perspective and are just a gameplay thing.

There's a very good reason we don't have tundra-based civs: civilization never flourished in the tundra. Even Russia had all of its major cities well south of the tundra; their tundra bonuses are really not representative at all from a historical perspective and are just a gameplay thing.

Not that a good ol' Russian winter couldn't have done its best to have people think otherwise! Unfortunately, as unique and fun as a Sami or Inuit civ could be, I have to agree that seeing them officially in the game would probably be unlikely at best (even with just a handful of Sami cities and if you base an Inuit civ around Greenland or northern Canada). The closest we could get with another northern civ with at least the possibility of tundra bonuses would be a Scandinavian country like Sweden or Denmark, a PNW tribe like the Tlingit or Haida, Canada, or a Siberian civ lead by Tygyn Darkhan.

Not that a good ol' Russian winter couldn't have done its best to have people think otherwise! Unfortunately, as unique and fun as a Sami or Inuit civ could be, I have to agree that seeing them officially in the game would probably be unlikely at best (even with just a handful of Sami cities and if you base an Inuit civ around Greenland or northern Canada). The closest we could get with another northern civ with at least the possibility of tundra bonuses would be a Scandinavian country like Sweden or Denmark, a PNW tribe like the Tlingit or Haida, Canada, or a Siberian civ lead by Tygyn Darkhan.
A single Siberian civ? You realize, of course, you might as well be talking about a single "Amerindian," "Oceanian," "African," or "Southeast-Asian," civ for the variation and diversity of culture, language, custom, religion, etc. with such a notion, right?

A single Siberian civ? You realize, of course, you might as well be talking about a single "Amerindian," "Oceanian," "African," or "Southeast-Asian," civ for the variation and diversity of culture, language, custom, religion, etc. with such a notion, right?

Looking back on my post, I do realize that it could imply that even though it wasn't my intention to mislead anyone like that. As far as I know, Tygyn Darkhan's civ could be called 'Yakutia' or 'Sahka' but I didn't feel like adding more names to my post since it was already long enough as it was. Ironically enough, if by some miracle Yakutia/Sahka does officially get in the game, it probably would be the single Siberian civ to be officially added!

a PNW tribe like the Tlingit or Haida
Again, though, the PNW is waaay south of the tundra and actually has a rather mild climate (to use Port Angeles, WA as an example, it's temperature range is only about 47-67 F), and the men of the PNW went naked most of the year and barefoot all year. Once you get to the tundra you basically have Eskimo-Aleut peoples and maybe a few Athabaskans.

"Hatti"? They were absorbed by the Hittites whom I would have voted for if that was an option.

Top Bottom