1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing Civs Poll

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by The Kingmaker, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Which of these civs do you want to return? (Choose 10)

1. Assyria

78 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Austria

59 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Babylon

154 vote(s)
    61.4%
  4. Byzantium

162 vote(s)
    64.5%
  5. Carthage

142 vote(s)
    56.6%
  6. Celts (or Gaul)

60 vote(s)
    23.9%
  7. Denmark

24 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Ethiopia

141 vote(s)
    56.2%
  9. Hatti

23 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. Huns

20 vote(s)
    8.0%
  11. Inca

213 vote(s)
    84.9%
  12. Iroquois

72 vote(s)
    28.7%
  13. Mali

152 vote(s)
    60.6%
  14. Maya

175 vote(s)
    69.7%
  15. Morocco

64 vote(s)
    25.5%
  16. Ottoman Turks

193 vote(s)
    76.9%
  17. Polynesia (or Hawaii or Maori)

103 vote(s)
    41.0%
  18. Portugal

147 vote(s)
    58.6%
  19. Shoshone

19 vote(s)
    7.6%
  20. Siam

45 vote(s)
    17.9%
  21. Sioux

58 vote(s)
    23.1%
  22. Songhai

18 vote(s)
    7.2%
  23. Sweden

71 vote(s)
    28.3%
  24. Venice (or Italy)

85 vote(s)
    33.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

You're kinda selling the Maya short there. The Classical Greeks weren't unified and they are in as a Civ. The Maya left numerous remains of socially/technologically advanced cities. The other Mesoamerican cultures (Zapotecs, Olmecs, Tarascans, Mixtecs, Totonacs, Teotihuacan) aren't as well attested in history and potential leaders as the Maya, thanks to the successful decipherment of the Maya glyphs. I would consider the Maya more important than the Aztecs in the grand scheme of things, especially with regards to Mesoamerican history. Yet unfortunately, stereotypes and pop culture has enabled the Aztecs to be present in the game since Civ1.

evanaurora, The Kingmaker and Siptah like this.
  2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

You're kinda selling the Aztecs short there. :p

Tenochtitlan had a population of 200,000 before the Spanish conquest - the same as a large European city at the time. The pop culture aspect reduces Montezuma to a caricature, but the Triple Alliance is as worthy an addition to the game as anyone.

Obviously the Maya are too, and perhaps more influential in the development of mesoamerican culture. But the obvious answer is that both civs should have been in since Day 1 :).

Guandao likes this.
  3. Guandao

Sure, I'll agree the Aztecs are worthy to be a Civ. I'm just not satisfied with their recent portrayals, especially the Aztec leader's appearance. :p

Montezuma II (Civ1).gif From this (pretty historically accurate portrayal).....
    to this fantastical monstrosity civ6-montezumai.jpg

4. beorn

beorn Chieftain

I care a lot more about interesting gameplay than I do about the identity of the civ. The Nubians and the workshop mod Mississipians are great, not because I have some deep interest in the real-life Nubians or Mississipians, but because they make fun and interesting civs to play. The Germans and Macedonians are great because they make excellent opponents. To some extent ditto Kongo and Brazil. America and England are terrible, not because I dislike the real life version of either one, but because they are yawns from either perspective.

So... I am looking to see additions which either offer interesting strategic challenges, distinct from most civs. Or civs that are highly effective as AI opponents, which generally means not focused on religious victory. Lots of bonus points for being obnoxious and expansive, but then being effective at using added territory to move towards a cultural or science victory.

DeutschDachs and Wielki Hegemon like this.
  5. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Montezuma I got waaay too many feathers in Civ VI. He looks like a prickly porcupine.

Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  6. Guandao

I agree, I think an actual Aztec ruler wouldn't be wearing that many Quetzal feathers that often. Something like Civ1's Montezuma is more accurate.

Huehuemoteuczoma_mendoza.jpg See how Montezuma I is represented in an Aztec codex, it's much more similar to Civ1's design than Civ6.

Zaarin and Morningcalm like this.
  7. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Sorry. I skipped to the end. I wasn't sure if it represented the Hattians.

I would have both the Inca and the Maya over the Aztecs (unless you view modern Mexico as an extension of the Mexica). All I'm saying is that I see them less of an essential civ than the consensus. But the reason I didn't vote for them is that I didn't see them.

Guandao likes this.
  8. Havendish

Havendish Chieftain

I failed to mention one more thing about Lydia, namely that Coin Mint could be their Unique Tile Improvement. Since they invented coinage, seems very plausible. These would gain substantial gold and amenities bonuses for a Lydian player.

Here's my list of Civilizations that have never appeared in the Civ series up to now: (discounting mods-of course)
    Civ name followed by - potential best victory type

1 LYDIA - commerce/culture/domination
    2 KHAZARIA - domination/religion/trade
    3 CRIMEAN KHANATE - domination/religion/trade
    4 MEDIA (Medes/Median-Medean Empire) - culture/military/craftsmanship-art
    5 ELAM - culture/religion
    6 ARMENIA (classical-ancient state of Armenia was a major power in the Near East) - Trade/Religion/Highland bonus
    7 TIBET - very original due to potential not only hill tile bonuses, but mountains as well ( and was a free state, a quite large one, in late classic/early medieval era) religion,culture, hill/mountain bonus
    8 BULGARIA - long history, from warlike nomadic people to a powerful (Slavic) empire in the Balkans. - military/religion/culture
    9 THRACIA (Thrace) - we know of only of few leaders and cities (Seuthopolis-capital) as they were more of a collection of tribes than a unified country, however, longtime rivals of ancient Greeks would be great to have in the game.
    10. ISRAEL (Judah, Judea, Hebrews) religion/culture/commerce-trade
    11 PHOENICIA - Maritime/Trade-Commerce/Science and Culture would apply
    12 BURMA - religion/isolationist/militarist and culture
    13 MUGHALS - domination/religion/trade-commerce
    14 TIMURID empire (gurkani) - domination/conquest/religion/trade
    15 ASHANTI (Ghana) - culture, trade, military-or religion
    16 PRUSSIA - was an independent, centralized country, separate from Germany and a major European military power for centuries - domination-heavy militarist, also great in science & culture
    17 GOTHS (not sure of the formal name) - Celts were featured in Civ since Civ 2, Goths were just as accomplished, if not more (conquered Rome, created states/countries) - domination/conquest, culture
    18 ETRUSCANS - great culture, scientific and quite militaristic
    19 MINOANS - fascinating culture, also religious, merchants and a Naval power
    20 SARMATIANS - I mean, Female (virgin) warriors on horseback! you want more females in the game, right Firaxis? Then why not finally give us Female Military Units? Especially that they did, in fact, exist, fight and die alongside their male (Sarmatian) warriors. And, no, Sarmatian/Sauromatian, isn't the same as Scythian. Domination/Reiligion/Culture
    21 HUNGARY - it's about time, really
    22 ITALY - as an actual entity, not only Venice, just like with the Hungarians, but even more so, come on Firaxis... culture/religion/art-craftsmanship/militaristic
    23 WENDS - The now gone Wends were western Slavs who lived in the lands of the former East Germany, along Baltic Coast and inland, from Oder/Odra river up to Labe/Laba river in the west. Fascinating culture. Similar to Celts: Militaristic, Religious and Agrarian
    24. SAXONS - militaristic/domination/religious
    25 NORMANDY - for William the Conqueror, yes, he came from France
    26 GAUL - militarist/religious/culture-agrarian
    27 BRITONS/WELSH just like Gauls of France and Northern Italy, however, with separate Leaders and Uniques (and language/dialects)
    28 FRANKIA - call it that (Franks-Frankish empire isn't really formal-proper) ,give them the capital of Aachen - their proper capital, and Charlemagne as Leader.
    29 DACIA/WALACHIA/ROMANIA - worthy addition
    30 SWITZERLAND - Neutral! also, strong culture/science and mountain/hill bonus
    31 SHAWNEE - Tecumseh formed a strong confederacy, dreamed of a Native American Empire, a country like the European model.
    32 APACHE - warlike/desert bonus - Geronimo as leader
    33 CHEROKEE - best known of the Five Civilized Tribes
    34 INUIT - tundra and ice tile bonuses
    35 TOLTECS (or perhaps OLMECS) for culture and religion
    36 UKRAINE/KIYEVAN RUS - culture/religion/military

Wanted to go on till I reach 50 but real life calls, well, anyway, there it is for now.

Thormodr and Siptah like this.
  9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Canada would do well for the culture game with an emphasis on alliances and emergencies.

Havendish and Thormodr like this.
  10. brako

brako Chieftain

Minoan civilization would be more than appropriate for first inclusion in Civ game at some point, if not right now. It was a civilization with big C, the first in Europe, with dozens of cities centered on monumental palaces (unique building/district?), developed writing, paved streets, rich mythology and art to draw inspiration from (Minotaur, labyrinth, bull leaping, Phaistos disc...). Bronze Age civilization are rare in Civ, and this one has all that semi-legendary flavor of an early civilization that you want to play with. Of course, portrayal of the leader (legendary king Minos) and language would have to be left to developers' imagination, but why not?

Havendish and Meluhhan like this.
  11. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Debatable. But this wouldn't be the first time Civ has taken Herodotus at face value.

They'd be generally cool. But do we actually call them Minoan? My understanding is that their name at the time would be something more like Crete.

evanaurora likes this.
  12. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

We don't know what they called themselves. We have examples of Linear A but so far it is not able to be deciphered. We can decipher some Etruscan but I believe have a problems with verbs(?). There are many state level civilizations that we know existed but only have archaeological evidence of or second hand accounts of: Moche, Chimu, Nazca, Olmecs, Ancient Zimbabwe, The various Swahili states, Tiwanaku, Minoans, Harappa, etc.

Zaarin likes this.
  13. JacquesBquick

JacquesBquick Chieftain

They really have to do post expac DLCs. I don't think a third expansion will be likely; keeping the 2 expansion model has worked for IV and V, and I don't see anything about VI feature/mechanic-wise that would dictate that a 3rd expansion will be necessary. a UN is really the only MAJOR missing feature from franchise history at this point, and beyond maybe an economic victory condition and a couple other new ideas or reworks of smaller ideas of the past, i don't know what else they add in a third expac without overbloating the game.

Thus, given that it seems everyone (myself included) had a hard time narrowing down to 10, further DLC packs seems like a necessity for us nerds, and easy money for 2k/firaxis. It'd be gross negligence to not offer DLCs. What further makes me say this is that not only do we have missing Civs, but I desperately think they should add some alt leader packs that help satisfy what I think is a bit of a vacuum for series classics. Sure we're getting Genghis and seemingly Shaka here. But we're still missing Washington/Lincoln, Bismarck, Elizabeth I, Isabella, Julius Caesar/Caesar Augustus, Nobunaga, Louis XIV/Napoleon. All of these seem like they would be instant sellers and all have potential mechanics that both honor their legacy in the series as well as fit in with VI mechanics. Further you have lots of interesting choices that may not have the legacy of these leaders within Civ, but also offer really interesting opportunities (Jefferson, MLK, Churchill, Charlemagne. A few alt leader DLC packs might be pricey for them to do because they'd need to animate a leader and hire voice actors, but very little work needs to be done outside of that, only one additional ability, no new city names or graphics or icons or anything like that. Plus it could leave VI, at the end of it all, feeling like the most fleshed out and varied Civ title ever. Would give it so much staying power.

Firaxis please, lets get some alt leader and popular choice Civ DLCs.

Havendish, The Kingmaker and Thormodr like this.
  14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Agreed. Really would love to see an alternate leader for the Mongols. Kublai Khaan would be great or even a female leader like Khutulun or Mandukhai. Kublai Khaan would be great for culture/economics and a female Mongol leader would be a refreshing change. Very appropriate too as females have always held a high status in Mongol society even to this day. It wouldn’t feel forced like some other female Civ leaders.

Havendish and TahamiTsunami like this.
  15. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

I picked Babylon, Byzantium, Ethiopia, Inca, Iroquois, Mali, Maya, Ottoman Turks, Polynesia (though I'd personally prefer to get both Hawaii and Maori civs), and Sweden. Hopefully we'll get most of the others too.

Whoa, didn't expect Montezuma I to look so different. Is there a reason why they gave him so many Quetzal feathers?

The Kingmaker likes this.
  16. climat

climat Chieftain

Are those Quetzal feathers? I thought Firaxis wanted him to photosynthesize this time, instead of sacrificing people for his appetite.

Thormodr likes this.
  17. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Chieftain

I've bolded the five most needed choices. I'd italicize a few more that are probable, but quotes. There's only half dozen or so anyway. The rest are honestly pretty arbitrary, small, and/or loosely organized regions; they could always happen, but we wouldn't see them coming through the fog of so many other samey civs in their regions.

Others you left out just as arbitrarily:

37 NAVAJO - why Apache and not Navajo?
    38 ANISHINAABE - largest extant Amerindian confederacy.
    39 BLACKFOOT - another long-lasting confederacy and all-star of BR MK II.
    40 TAINO - settled the Greater Caribbean.
    41 GRAN COLOMBIA - Simon Bolivar and stuff.
    42 TUPI - largest indigenous tribe in Brazil.
    43 AYMARA - settled Lake Titicaca.
    44 OMAN - Chain of the Earth.
    45 ZIMBABWE - bigger than the Zulus.
    46 KANEM-BORNU - The only empire of note to span Central Africa.
    47 AKSUM - Ethiopia, but better.
    48 CHOLA/TAMIL - The Venice of India.
    49 MURRI/NOONGAR/KULIN/WALPIRI/KIMBERLEY - Pick any.
    50 LAPITA/TONGA/MAORI/HAWAII - Pick any.
    51 SIBIR/SAKHA/KAZAKHSTAN - Pick any.

There. Now you're at fifty. You're welcome.

Havendish likes this.
  18. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

That's a conversation I'd recommend taking over to the Never Before Seen civs thread, since this one's all about the previously-seen civs that are still missing.

19. evanaurora

evanaurora Chieftain

Aaah, this was hard... voted Assyria/Babylon/Carthage/Ethiopia/Inca/Mali/Maya/Morocco/Maori (no Polynesia please, yikes!)/Siam. Mostly because I feel assured that other mainstays like the Ottomans, Portugal and Byzantium will get plenty of votes on their own.

Considering the wealth of options, the idea of only eight more new civs is starting to seem very hard to bear. But if I had to choose (combining old/new):
    1. Navajo
    2. Maya
    3. Portugal
    4. Ottomans
    5. Babylon
    6. Mali
    7. Vietnam
    8. Maori
    9. Alternate leader for Egypt (my preference is for Hatshepsut, but there are certainly plentiful options. Just emphatically one who predates Classical antiquity.)

With DLC (let's assume the same number as the pre-R&F cycle)

10. a Byzantium/Ottomans DLC pack; substitute Syria for the Ottomans in a hypothetical second xpac
    11. an Assyria/Babylon DLC pack; substitute Carthage for Babylon
    12. Ethiopia
    13. Inca
    14. Ashanti
    But this isn't a satisfying list at all!!! :sad:

20. Shayna

Shayna Chieftain

Assyria
    Babylon
    Byzantium
    Carthage
    Ethiopia