1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Age of Discovery II

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Dale, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

Go to the "Mods" folder where you unzipped it, and open the AoD2_1.02 folder. Move the "AgeOfDiscoveryII" folder down one level to the "Mods" folder. :)

2. Cornhog

Cornhog Warlord

Dumb question for Mr. Dale: Why did you make a few changes in AoD2 that you didn't make in Patchmod? I'm not talking about Portugal or the Pirates; I mean things like the immigration threshold, the "independent" flags and the starting REF. The latter three seem more like fixes than mods in my humble opinion.

Basically I want to mix and match the two mods :) I don't really have a desire for Portugal, Pirates or unique units, but I would love for crosses to actually be useful :) Not that Age of Discovery doesn't rock, it's just that I'm looking for a "fixed" vanilla.

By the way Dale, you do excellent work. Firaxis should pay you, because you're the best chance for turning this game into a masterpiece :)

(Off topic — One of my big problems with this Colonization (although I did just have my funnest game ever using your Patchmod) is that it lacks the charm of the original. Did you ever do any work on your achievements mod? That and Koma's excellent European screen would go a long way to restoring the charm of the original game. Charm is also the best argument for adding the Fountain of Youth and foreign intervention. Each provided memorable moments. Furthermore, why can't I name my New World? In the old Colonization, I could name it when I landed. I'm getting WAY off topic, but all these little things add up.)

3. Roberth1

Roberth1 Chieftain

Hi Dale
    I did what you said and moved the folder labelled Age of Discovery II to the Mods folder.

Now when I start the game inthe advanced section i get both Age of Discovery II and AoD_1.2 as mods to load.
    I load the Age of Discovery II as the mod and see all the other nations now but only see the two standard maps (new world and caribbeanan).
    The edition in the top right hand corner of the screen states that Age of DiscoveryII is loaded not AoD_1.2.

I only transferred the Age of Discover folder to the mods folder not the other two folders config and the other one.
    Should I have moved these as well, sorry to be a nuisance about this but I want to get it right.
    Robert

4. Dale

The "AgeOfDiscoveryII" folder should contain the following items:

- Assets folder
    - PublicMaps folder
    - ini file
    - Maybe a backup ini file

You can delete the AoD_1.2 folder. Sounds like you select "Extract to AoD_1.2 folder" instead of "Extract here". :)

5. Dale

Ever been watching a city build a fortress, knowing you won't have the tools to complete it, but miss the last turn for hurry buying the fortress and then having to find a spare 200 tools to ship to the city to complete the fortress?

Well that frustration will be gone in the next version as now you can hurry buy the remaining goods needed (ie: tools or muskets) at completion of building. :)

6. Banira

Banira Chieftain

hi dale that sounds cool...that always bugged me :) sounds great i'll be glad to try out the new version when it comes out :goodjob:

7. Roberth1

Roberth1 Chieftain

Hi Dale
    Sorry to be a nuisance.

My Age of Discovery II Foler contains
    Assests
    Public Maps (which has all the maps on it that I do not see)
    AgeOfDiscoveryII Configuration Settings

I do Not have an ini folder

In the AOD2_1.02 Folder I have
    AgeOfDiscoveryII
    AoD2_1.02 Configuration Settings
    AOD2_1.02.ini.bak

Do I make a copy of the above ini without the .bak and transfer that to the AgeOfDiscoveryII folder, but it will then not have the correct name?
    Regards
    Robert

8. Dale

Your AgeOfDiscoveryII folder contains the correct files/folders. Move the AgeOfDiscoveryII folder (with all its contents) to the MODS folder that already contains the AoD2_1.02 folder.

So your folder path should look like this:
    ..\Sid Meiers Colonization\Mods\AgeOfDiscoveryII\

9. nacc

nacc Chieftain

Hi, Dale. I'm looking forward to this new option you're adding.

In the meantime, could anyone fill us in on the mechanic for the cost of materials for hurrying buildings?

10. Dale

Some new victorys for the upcoming version (target amounts are arbitrary at this point).

11. millansoft

millansoft Warlord

Very nice, that's exactly what needs Colonization, Dale, Dom Pedro seems that abandoned his mod, what about adding the features from Triangle Trade? They're really good.

12. Dale

I'll look into it. There's a couple of features I like the look of.

13. Dale

I've modified the victory screen to display other nations that you've met.

14. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Are those new victory conditions you're thinking about adding in? Looks great, especially the Industrialization one!

15. Dale

Yes these are new victory conditions. I mean geeze guys, it's a TRADING game about building up an INDUSTRIALISING the New World, and they didn't include the possibility to win via those methods?

Craziness!

16. henryMCVII

henryMCVII Warlord

:goodjob: Can't wait to play this version. Is it a ... secret until now, or are you able to tell a little more about the new victoriy conditions?

17. Dale

Economic victory is based on total goods traded (every trading method, both buy and sell). Industrialisation victory is based on total yield rate per turn (how much crap you're producing). :)

18. entoris

entoris Chieftain

A small tweak I would consider a great addition to the game:
    When a city reaches 200 food, it generates a new Free Colonist and has its food-supply reduced by 200. I love to build centralized economies, and sometimes this even makes sense strategy-wise. Smaller cities generate a surplus of food and this surplus is shipped to a very large central city that does most of the refinement in my empire, with the added bonus that all newly 'born' free-colonist are generated exactly where they are needed most; in the center of my empire. The problem is that with the enormous amounts of food that are consumed in the central city, almost every growth is accompanied with starvation the next turn, forcing workers out of their jobs. I now have to keep some extra food stashed in a wagon train to prevent this from happening, but a much more sensible solution would be to increase the food-threshold of growth to for instance 250. Then, when the city generates a new Free Colonist, costing 200 food, 50 food is left to survive a turn or two before new food arrives from the surrounding cities.
    Would it be possible to include this in your mod, that already incorporates so many things that are missing from this game?

19. Zuul

Zuul Mod lister!

Cool with new win conditions :).

Could you please add some american animals?

20. Dale

So are you saying that your central city is not producing enough food (thus storage would normally drop by itself) but you are propping it up with shipments from other cities? And when the wagons dump too much food it causes a citizen growth but then the city starves for the next turn till more food is dumped by the wagons?