[MOD]Dawn of a New Era

Thank you for the clarification and further information Dazio and M07 (& Lib.Spi't) or, as we say en français, merci mec !

Dazio:
- I LOVE (c'est à dire que c'est vachement chouette !!) the exploration mechanics because exploration becomes more realistic. In that case I suggest that an entry be made on the Pedia to clarify this issue for the player as I had no idea how this mechanic work (information is the best weapon to plan an efficient strategy).
- I would suggest the farm improvement provides, as an example!, +1 or +2 food so at least the expert farmers can work them, through their inherent +3 expert bonus which only require at least 1 food to be produced in said tile (total = 4/5 food). Off course, the problem of non expert farmers producing (significant) food in farms is still present (they would produce total = 1 food with farm improvement).

M07:
- Please don't be offended with my comment about grammar and orthography. I understand that sometimes, when we are quickly writing many different bodies of text on the keyboard, it is easy to misspell something, or to miss the idea in words when it is late at night and and the mind becomes tired.

Ditto on raystuttgart's comment about mod collaboration.

M07:
- Please don't be offended with my comment about grammar and orthography. I understand that sometimes, when we are quickly writing many different bodies of text on the keyboard, it is easy to misspell something, or to miss the idea in words when it is late at night and and the mind becomes tired.
I am not. Don't worry :D. As you said, English is not my native language. :D.
I clearly understood, it's boring to play with a lot of mistakes in texts.
As I play only with the french version, I don't see a lot of mistakes I did in my English translations.

Can you send me your save? I will try to reproduce it. It works for me. It is really strange.

You right. We can't. It doesn't make sense to trade with golds. (Useless for indians :))

Ahh, I figured it out. I was wanting to test out the trading system so I created a load of Cigars in world builder and loaded it on my wagon, but your design does not allow for this. I loaded goods from my city and it works fine.:goodjob:

I never really liked "buying" goods from the Indians. This barter system is a much improvement.:cool:

I would advice to add in additional tutorial popups for all the modded screens, at least to point out the major changes as they are extensive and could be confusing to new players.

If I understand correctly, you are not releasing your code to the public. That is somewhat sad from one modder to another. The whole point we modders congregate here is to share our ideas and work. If you are a modder at heart, the whole time you are playing a game you constantly have thoughts of the changes or tweaks you would make in order to make the game more appealing for you or your playstyle. That's why Civ4 Col is still active is they allow us to do that. So, I agree with raystuttgart on this.

Ahh, I figured it out. I was wanting to test out the trading system so I created a load of Cigars in world builder and loaded it on my wagon, but your design does not allow for this. I loaded goods from my city and it works fine.:goodjob:

I never really liked "buying" goods from the Indians. This barter system is a much improvement.:cool:
Yes, it is another system to allow different kind of resources in one same cargo

I would advice to add in additional tutorial popups for all the modded screens, at least to point out the major changes as they are extensive and could be confusing to new players.
In the 3.10 version, we already simplified a lot of concepts and add helps to players. But the work is not finished :)

About ammunition:

Not if that feature is "human only" and AI plays by different rules.
But if AI should use such a feature and understand all its implications, it gets really tricky.

+1 for you, that's why AI doesn't use this system yet :D.
But it is in my plans.

100% waste of time. Ammunition is an interesting feature, but only for human player, not for AI. Stupid AI should use unlimited ammunition as we have now. Sorry, but I see no one reason why AI should use ammunition feature.

About ammunition:
100% waste of time. Ammunition is an interesting feature, but only for human player, not for AI. Stupid AI should use unlimited ammunition as we have now. Sorry, but I see no one reason why AI should use ammunition feature.

I can give you one reason. You are in war with an European nation. AI has more armies than you. It use a lot of ammunition and it need to resupply. With your units, you intercept its supply convoy. So its army don't have anymore ammunition -> you win the war (with a lot of prisoners) ;)
I think it a good reason. But For that, we need a smart IA that attack us well. (It is not the case yet)

About ammunition:

I can give you one reason. You are in war with an European nation. AI has more armies than you. It use a lot of ammunition and it need to resupply. With your units, you intercept its supply convoy. So its army don't have anymore ammunition -> you win the war (with a lot of prisoners) ;)
I think it a good reason. But For that, we need a smart IA that attack us well. (It is not the case yet)

You really belive that AI could simulate something similar to the Napoleon's Grande Armée invasion in Russia in 1812? I'm 100% sure that this is impossible. AI artillery units now cannot even bombard enemy units located near their home city. Bombard, but not attack! A very weak AI is a first point why I belive ammunition feature could be used only for human player.

The second point is a war. The power of human and AI units are the same. Thus, now they have 50:50 chance to win in battle. However, human player can choose and prepare better units to attack enemy artillery, to choose better terrain, where enemy artillery has no defence bonuses, etc, etc. As result, now the chances of human player to win is much higher then 50%. Thus, if you apply the ammunition feature to AI units, you drastically increase human player chanses to win. In this case result of each battle is practically 100% predicted.

And finally most complicated part - education of AI. You need to teach AI produce ammunition (simpliest part), to explain AI importance ammunition (more complicate), to tech AI produce ammunition when it's really necessary (preparation to attack somebody or defend own cities from invasion). Last means at least strategic planning. And to organize effective resupply AI units during war.

Are you really sure that all these efforts are necessary? What you expect as result?

Or AI is very clever and effectively use ammunition feature. But you already have this possibility!

Or AI made errors and cannot produce, or use, or resupply ammunition for AI units. Last make a result of each battle 100% preductable.

I recommend to think how important to apply ammunition feature for AI units.

You really belive that AI could simulate something similar to the Napoleon's Grande Armée invasion in Russia in 1812? I'm 100% sure that this is impossible. AI artillery units now cannot even bombard enemy units located near their home city. Bombard, but not attack! A very weak AI is a first point why I belive ammunition feature could be used only for human player.
Are you really sure that all these efforts are necessary? What you expect as result?
I recommend to think how important to apply ammunition feature for AI units.
May be, you choose an extreme example. I think we can improve IA to make it more clever. It can use different kind of strategy to attack us. But I said it before, it is not our priority to add the ammunition feature for AI.

But you are right, this system will decrease the difficulties for human players. That's why we need a strong AI.

It will take a long time before I can think this feature will be good for the mod.

Are we okay on this subject?

If I understand correctly, you are not releasing your code to the public. That is somewhat sad from one modder to another. The whole point we modders congregate here is to share our ideas and work. If you are a modder at heart, the whole time you are playing a game you constantly have thoughts of the changes or tweaks you would make in order to make the game more appealing for you or your playstyle. That's why Civ4 Col is still active is they allow us to do that. So, I agree with raystuttgart on this.
Is there a reason why the source will not be public? It could be really interesting for other modders. Personally I decided on putting the source on github. All modders can then access the source and the commit history. The result is that ray picked the changes he liked in RaRE (the majority) and copied them into RaR even without an account for my source.

Speaking of this, one of the major changes I made was reducing the waiting time on the AI by 25%. 70% of the speedboost came from caching the output of CvPlayer::getYieldEquipmentAmount(). I posted that fact in the forum thread and the code change is here: https://github.com/Nightinggale/Rel...mmit/9e433ec2932d81e54175ea796261a271369c8537

It does rely on JustInTimeArray.h, which I added in an earlier commit. However I would recommend using the newest version from M:C instead. Just copy the whole file and don't care about when what was changed.

I see no reason why code like this shouldn't move from one mod to another. In fact the more mods using code like this, the better. The only condition is that I'm credited for my part of the code. Also I would like to be informed if somebody actually copies my code :)

I think we can improve IA to make it more clever.
Step 1: learn how to spell "AI" :lol:

Is there a way to found a city using this mod or is the whole game about exploring the map with my caravel and 2 starting units?

you have to have the boat next to the unit for it to found I think (if I remember rightly it has been a while. But ships have to have a 'builder pack' that lets you build a colony
Tou are totally right. We added the concept that simple colonists can't found colony without tools and lumbers :).

dpunk said:
Is there a way to found a city using this mod or is the whole game about exploring the map with my caravel and 2 starting units?
When You disembark your unit on the land, you should have a popup that ask you if you want to found a colony. After, if the tutorial of DoaNe was enable, you should also have a popup that explain a new time, you need to have your ship near your units to found your colonies. I hope you will not abandon to test this mod because of this mishap :). You will discover a lot of new features. Have a good game ;)

A new version for DoaNE will be coming soon. DoaNE v4.00.
A lot of big changes will be present, like a new trade routes screen and new victory types.
The release of this version should be done in less than two weeks.
I will create a new post about the trade routes screen because we added a lot of new features, players should like :)

Top Bottom