1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Idea thread

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by Drakle, Sep 19, 2020.

1. gwennog

gwennog Prince

I would like to work on the adaptation to VP of a civilization: SMAN's Duchy of Brittany, idea suggested by @Asterix Rage
    The artistic work is superb and extremely complete.

On the other hand, I would orient myself well towards a Brittany turned towards the sea, religious, cultural and rich at a time in its history, torn between French and English royalty.
    I will ask S-Man because I would like to upset a lot of things.

The first ideas would be :

UA:
    With fishing, +1 :c5culture: Culture and +1 :c5faith: Faith by water tile.
    Build faster maritime buildings, units or wonders and gain :c5greatperson: Amiral Points during contruction.
    More Gold by defensive pact (Either on maritime constructions or on trade routes)

UU: (Brezel Kourserezh)
    Brezel Kourserezh: a cheaper Privateer replacement. :c5culture: Culture and :c5gold: Gold by sunken, captured ship?

UB: (Porzh-iliz)
    porzh-iliz: replace the temple, can add parts, calvary (kalvar) and ossuary (karnel) to the renaissance period depending on the gold generated and each part increases the part of :c5gold: Gold generated transformed into :c5culture: Culture and :c5faith: Faith.

3UC and 4UC Compatibility

UU: (Drouiz)
    When expended, all adjacent unimproved tile of the Holy Site, +2 :c5science: Research, +2 :c5faith: Faith and +2 :c5culture: Culture or just a boost (less situational)

UB: (Rance Tidal Power Station)
    Unique National wonder (does not replace any), give +2 :c5food: Food by bonus resource (and other yields, to find)

AndreyK, Hinin and Asterix Rage like this.
  2. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

3. gwennog

gwennog Prince

I just re-read what I wrote, my English is generally very bad, but here a native speaker must have weeping eyes and wheezing ears, I'm sorry.

4. gwennog

gwennog Prince

5. gwennog

gwennog Prince

Just for fun, Rance Tidal Power Station is said in Breton: Stankell vordredan ar Renk :)

6. sman1975

sman1975 Emperor

@gwennog - feel free to reuse any/all the things you find in the mod. Its contents are a combination of the original Brittany mod by Gedemo, which I recycled with his blessing. Other contributors made requests/suggestions in the collaboration thread:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/duchy-of-brittany.634700/

I'm not familiar with what it takes to make a custom civ VP-compatible and swamped with other projects, so perhaps you can find another collaborator to convert the mod?

gwennog likes this.
  7. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

You mean Corvette?
    :c5culture: Culture per damage and :c5gold: Gold only if sunken? Capture is a Dutch business.

There are already many (a lot actually) unique units/buildings to design a dozen of Duchy of Brittany. Really need to look for two others?

I don't know what you mean.

PS: You should open a separate thread...

gwennog likes this.
  8. Hinin

Hinin King

Well, as a Breton by my father, I have a duty to participate. :lol:

Spoiler A lot of ideas for Brittany :

A culture/faith-focused maritime civ is indeed something we lack currently in VP. That said, a flat yield on water tiles is both a bit bland and too powerful I think. The production modifier on maritime buildings and wonders and naval units also seem a bit too direct (but I like the idea of gaining GAdmiral points). Finally the gold on defensive pacts is simply not a reliable bonus, simply because it depends too strongly on AI behaviour.

Here are some ideas :
    • To give a nod to the first migration to Armorica, why not a bonus to settling, with different ones for cities on the same landmass as the capital and cities on other landmasses (it counts islands) ? It would also highlight the participation of Bretons (with Basques notably) in the colonization of the New World (see flag of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon).
    • For faith, one idea that isn't present in no other kit is percentage modifier. The advantage for coastal cities would be that it lets you choose more freely your pantheon (since you cannot count on map generation to always give you good enough coastal tiles to work).
    • Culture could be added to Admiral Points on construction of maritime buildings and wonders and naval units
    • The idea to give the civ a diplomacy element could be kept but added on one of the other UCs (I'm thinking about the Corsair specifically)
    A concrete example :
    An idea in reaction (knowing that ship capture is both available as a promotion and already taken by the Dutch UM and the Ottoman 4UC).

Something you must have in mind is how powerful the other Corvette replacement is : the Dutch Sea Beggar has just so much things going for it.

I changed the ossuary into the widows' cross because base VP already has an Ossuary as a Founder belief building.

Spoiler Kalvar and Kroaz Pell :

The problem I have with this UC is that the AI will never know how to use it. Plus, Druidism is far from being a typical Breton cultural element (more a Celtic one, and the Celtic UA already delves well into that question). Why not ask JFD if you could use the Machtiern from his Brittany mod ?

Example.
    I'm sure you already know this, but any UC that arrives later than in the Industrial era must be an actual game changer to be worth it.
    In the case of the Rance Tidal Power Station, I understand its uniqueness (and I like it), but I really don't think a yield based UNW can actually be useful that late in the game.

If you want a UNW, there are lots worth mentionning for Britanny. Maybe something related to the Brocéliande Forest to make a link with both Arthurian legend and the Druidic tradition of Brittany you wanted to mention with the Drouiz ?

Example (but it's quite stretched)
    Also, here is an idea for War theme if you need it (the problem being that it ends abruptly and that I didn't find a better version).

If you want to go further on this mod, I agree with Asterix Rage that you should create a proper thread.

Also, a problem you might encounter is how similar the civ's colors are to the German ones.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    gwennog likes this.
  9. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

True, and boring.

10. Hinin

Hinin King

Another civ concept I put here.

Spoiler The Ainu for VP :

The Ainu - Shakushain/Aynurakkur

Spoiler MUCfVP :

Spoiler Peace theme :

Spoiler War theme :

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    gwennog likes this.
  11. Hinin

Hinin King

I've been thinking about a kit for Switzerland (just for brainstorming-sake, since I have already too many things to do as of now). I put it here for now.

Spoiler Switzerland :

Switzerland (Guillaume-Henri Dufour)
    Hill bias - Coast anti-bias

Spoiler Häiwee promotion :

Häiwee - You gain :c5gold: Gold whenever the unit fights; the unit disbands after a set number of turn; when the unit disbands or dies, gain :c5culture: Culture. All effects scaling with era and game speed.

Music :
    - Peace
    - War

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    gwennog, Asterix Rage and Kim Dong Un like this.
  12. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

13. Hinin

Hinin King

:popcorn:

14. gwennog

gwennog Prince

Hinin likes this.
  15. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

16. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

This is such an awesome concept for a civ. Many players have always yearned for the unit gifting ability to extend past CS, and this would be a unique way to implement it into the game somehow.

17. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

In CoreChanges.sql there should be an option to reenable unit gifting to major civs.

18. Hinin

Hinin King

Happy to have a positive feedback on this (although, I'll be frank, it's far too complexe for me at the moment to even think about making it a reality). As usual, I begin thinking about a civ's kit when I find interesting music for it (basically, all my projects begins with the music, which is weird I know), but I actually took a lot of inspiration from the Roving Clans from Endless Legend for the UA (which is my defaut faction to play in this game).

I think the production bonus should be tied to being at peace (so you must prepare your military before a conflict to benefit from it). For the gold bonus from purchases, I'm conflicted : is it actually feasible, and would it be interesting enough to be kept ?

I have two question about this :
    • Would the AI be able to use the action, and would it be able to know what to do with it (so that the civ doesn't become a player-only one) ?
    • To give a unit, must you be in the territory of the civ you want to give it to ? If that's the case, making all Swiss units able to traverse rival territory would be the easiest solution (it's not as if they could be a threatening force, although having a Swiss army around your capital while Switzerland has a defensive pact with your biggest rival would be quite frightening).

19. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

That's the very first question to ask yourself :ack:
    I believe the answer is no.

Many A lot Most already are without any warning :lol:

It would be fine and fair anyway to have this kind of civmod with a "human only" sticker on it

Hinin likes this.
  20. Hinin

Hinin King

Well, that seems obvious, but I still ask.

Modified the kit a bit to make it a bit more balanced.