"Mod of the week" on facebook and twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
Civfanatics is keen to reinvigorate our social media channels and one way in which this is going to happen is to feature a "Mod of the week". This will be a single mod chosen from either the Civ 3, Civ 4 or Civ 5 communities.

For a user to have their mod featured, they must provide a summary of no more than 200 words, briefly describing the mod and how it is significant (e.g. the first mod of a certain kind). The user must also provide a link to the download and to the relevant discussion thread. This summary, along with the links, will then be used as the facebook post. So the summary ought to be 'ready to post'.

I've been asked to look after the Civ 3 category in this endeavour. The first thing I thought - though please feel free to post your opinion - was that it would be nice for us to be able to vote for entries, should there be more than one. We are looking for each community to take turns in which one has a "mod of the week" that particular week, but we will monitor the popularity of it in each of the three communities.

Whilst the focus is on newer mods, we would consider older mods which are still very popular and would be worth a newbie trying out.

What are your thoughts?

Probably to be Fair, it would be good to cycle through the Civ 3, 4, and 5 communities separately and vote on each of the community entries to gain the MOD to feature one at a time. In this way, it would feature each of the communities and not set up a direct voting competition between them.

Probably to be Fair, it would be good to cycle through the Civ 3, 4, and 5 communities separately and vote on each of the community entries to gain the MOD to feature one at a time. In this way, it would feature each of the communities and not set up a direct voting competition between them.

That's what's happening. Each of the three communities has been allocated a moderator to look after things, with the aim that we would take turns to supply the "mod of the week". I thought that probably the Civ 3 community would like to be able to vote on Civ 3 mods when it's our turn.

EFZI2 would definitely be worth having as mod of the week - whilst it's been out over a year, it's very different and it may well appeal to the audience over at twitter/facebook who haven't come across it yet. What would you folks say to that being the first nomination?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

While it certainly classifies as an old mod, I would consider entering MEM. Its one of the most downloaded Civ 3 mods in the database, and obviously I'm biased, but I think the work me and ED did had a somewhat significant impact on the modding community as a whole, both pushing the boundaries of Civ 3 modding and as inspiration for Civ 4 mods. It was also a very polished mod graphic-wise for its time which still makes it playable to this day.

Might be a good idea to have a few older works in at least the first couple of weeks, to see how this goes, although i suppose that other games in the series (eg CivIV) won't bother with that (?).

Anyway, if i ever suggest a work it will be a new one (if i make anything...) ;)

I agree, Yoda Power, MEM was (and still is) a stand-out mod. The others that are memorable (to me) are the CCM-mod and - whilst not a mod but a scenario - Plotinus' Rood and the Dragon - though we're going back a while for that one!

This is a great idea and I would welcome any kind of exposure for Civ 3 C&C in other parts of the community. It would be nice if each summary had a sentence at the end reminding the gentle reader that current digital copies of Civ 3 are very inexpensive. I'd certainly vote for all the mods mentioned (Rood was updated just a few years ago), and there are plenty of classic games here that could benefit from a highlight. Don't forget that Civ 5 Anno Domini fans could use a glimpse of where it all began. :)

It's nice to have an advocate at court, Rob, especially a veteran modder. I think more people who don't visit the civ 3 hood would be willing to reload the game if they see that work is still going strong here.

This sounds like a good idea. Are these also going to be posted to the main page? I know I'd be more likely to see it on the main page, and that there are others at CFC who also would be unlikely to see it on Facebook/Twitter. I didn't actually even know that CFC had an organized/official social media page. I recall seeing a Facebook page awhile back, but I think it was just one that a member started and happened to have a number of people join, not an official one. IIRC, it was called "Civilization Fanatics Central" because the person who started it misremembered what the last C stood for.

The thing is, it's a drive to draw people to Civfanatics - which is why it hadn't been considered as a front page article - but I will ask if we can do this or something similar to ensure our members are kept abreast of what has been chosen each week.

I'll need a write-up either within the next few hours, or by the same time tomorrow. The Civ3 community has so far expressed the most interest in this, so it'd be good to be able to feature a Civ3 mod. :)

This is a very good idea and can help to improve the interest in Civ 3.:)

As there are many names of mods in this thread, may be it would be a good idea to write what mod/scenario this should be and to contact the author(s) of that mod/scenario as it could be that they are not aware of this thread for several reasons.
Concerning EFZI2 Complete and CCM there already exist "about-50-words-descriptions" (so only in German) and webside-images that could be used from the portal news at CivForum.de about the announcement of hosting mods and scenarios of the former SOC-site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom