1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Snoopy/Dale PatchMod

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Dale, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Commander Cody

Commander Cody Chieftain

Well sometimes I get to the point where political/military/etc is nolonger an option to do. Then I am basically forced to just build cannons, which is not too bad, but I rather use the settlement for more than that. The nothing option was in the orginial Colonization game.

Or if you get all the structures done, perhaps there could be something else, like say 25% of the settlements productiong gets converted into something else.

2. jenks

jenks Prince

i doubt that the 'Nothing' build would get modded in,I actually quite like the feature that you can build politcal points instead.

Gets you to those FF quicker, and allows you to get exploration points even after you have all the map and have seen all the indian chiefs.

Also, political points built by your colony/carpenter don't pi*s the king off like liberty bells do :)

3. Cornhog

Cornhog Warlord

I'm playing the Patchmod — and I can't test if this bug is in the vanilla version or not — but when the natives declared war on me, the cannon guarding my city just disappeared. The Indians attacked a colonist instead of the cannon that I had hauled from Europe to defend. When I clicked the colony afterward, the cannon had vanished.

I thought this happened before but chalked it up to being tired and crazy. Anyone else had a similar problem? I have a save if you're interested...

4. rcoutme

rcoutme Emperor

@ Commander Cody: You NEVER want to build nothing. Even if you don't want to use up lumber (a rather strange idea given the exorbitant quantities available), you can produce points to get FF's. The only reason I can possibly fathom for wanting to cease production is if all the FF's have already been obtained. (Even then, it seems strange as you could, presumably, create an armory and build up the army that is taking out the REF. If you have all the FF's and are not at war, your game is in some serious miscalculation).

5. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

I can't imagine how you'd EVER want to build nothing at all. You can never have too many cannons. Or if you've run out of tools then you could build points towards FFs.
    If you really don't want to produce any hammers, reassign the carpenter to another job!
    Why would you ever leave a colonist in a city producing something you're going to intentionally waste?

6. Commander Cody

Commander Cody Chieftain

Because having weaker colonies east of your best colonies distracts the King when he attacks. I always on purpose building at least 1 or 2 colonies east of my best ones, and load it up with troops. That way the King attacks those colonies, and my main better colonies, and produce new troops quickly and either reinforce the weaker ones, or become collected up to make an advancement on the King's troops marching over the land to get to the better colonies.

I found this necessary to do, as the King would amphibous assult my settlements even when they had fortresses on them, and would kill off my colonists in the settlements as it would not hit the dragoons or cannons but instead would hit soldiers that I never had in the colony. Some kind of mintue man defense.

Plus from some weird games, the King actually built his own settlement on the main land, known as London after having sacked a Native American village, and getting treasure from it.

So in short, I like having a buffer zone between me and the King. Kind of like how the Russians used Eastern Europe as a buffer zone between Germany and themselves.

7. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

I generally have a buffer zone too. What does that have to do with wasting hammers?
    Either build something useful, or remove or reassign the carpenter.

8. Commander Cody

Commander Cody Chieftain

Because even if I do not have a carpenter the place still produces at least 1 hammer, and thus after so many turns I get an annoying message asking me what I would like to build as I do not have any tools in the place. So it becomes annoying having to keep selecting different things.

From the sound of it, I guess I just got to deal with annoying messages in the game.

9. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

No. You can still set them to build points.

10. Commander Cody

Commander Cody Chieftain

Not if you have all of the founding fathers already. Then there is no way to set them to something. I usually have all of the founding fathers by 1650 in the game. It is not hard to do.

11. Dale

Dale Deity

Seriously dude, just build canons or something.

12. Commander Cody

Commander Cody Chieftain

I do not think that people here are reading what I have posted. Let me summerize this up for everyone so that they can understand, as obviously this has gone way over people's heads.

1. The settlement does not have access to ore, and thus does not construct tools. Hence it does not make tools, and I do not want it to make tools, as it only has 1 person in it so that it is a buffer for the war of independence. I do this to create a buffer zone and thus it distracts the King as it is the farthest eastern settlement.
    2. Even with no carpenters, the place still produces hammers due to the fact that all settlements get at least 1 hammer. I cannot stop this from happening. Thus there will always be something that is being worked on, and the game will keep asking me what I want to build even after I have used up all the possible buildings that do not requires tools.
    3. All of the founding fathers have been acquired so there is no more point things to do to help me get other founding fathers. So I cannot switch over to that.

So it becomes annoying. If there is not going to be a "nothing" option then let me disable the structure so that I do not have to deal with it. Right now it is annoying having to keep switching construction options every so many turns when I do not want to build anything there. Colonization 1 had it, I do not see why it is that hard to have it in this newer updated version. You guys make it sound like I am asking for the world or for some huge unbalanced thing. I am just asking for something that makes the game more convient for me to play and will most likely help out others. I doubt such an addition is going to hurt the game, if anything it makes life easier.

13. Dale

Dale Deity

Then tell it to build wagon trains. Geeze. I think you're taking this too seriously. A wagon train will take 40 turns to build at 1 hammer per turn, so it's not going to be hindering you too much.

Take a chill pill. :)

Or is 1 message per 40 turns too much of an annoyance for you?

14. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

I seriously doubt that many people will put work into making it more convenient to use what is, really, an exploit aimed at misleading the REF AI. After all, aren't you supposed to take care of ALL your people, even that poor sucker sitting in your "buffer" town? I can totally see how your strategy can work well, but it doesn't make any real sense for an emerging nation to behave like that.

15. JohnYoga

JohnYoga Prince

Hello Dale and Snoopy,

Does your mod work in MP? My ever favorite question!

John

16. Dale

Dale Deity

No idea JohnYoga. I can only assume yes. :)

17. Zuul

Zuul Mod lister!

Btw, is snoopy lost in space?

18. Aymerick

Aymerick Warlord

Will the 'fortress with cannons firing on ships' be in the next version?

19. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

This is in AOD1.5, which includes PatchMod :)

20. Mark_T

Mark_T Chieftain

I can't seem to make traderoutes work. I tried to make a simple trade route from Isabella to Europe, but the Caravel just sits there and does nothing.

EDIT: Doh, wrong thread. Please disregard.