[MOD] The Authentic Colonization (TAC)

yes, couldn't be easier:
when a unit is activated, you have that kind of "unit preview/description" right below (as part of the interface). Just click on the unit's name there...
:)

thanks. i have to admit the TAC crew appears to have thought of everything. wow!

Hi Buccaneer, :)

do you know our English Manual? It explains all differences between Vanilla and TAC. If you already know Dale's mod, you will see that there is a great number of new features, fixings and improvements of balancing and AI that we have added to Vanilla.

I see and understand the differences between vanilla and TAC (and Dale's for that matter), I was more interested in the gameplay differences between AoD2 and TAC.

I see and understand the differences between vanilla and TAC (and Dale's for that matter), I was more interested in the gameplay differences between AoD2 and TAC.
Sorry, I don't know Dale's mod well enough to explain the differences with all the details.

thanks for all of the help so far. it has been very appreciated. just a few more questions.

1: does the king get his cash to hire a larger army from me or is it mythological cash.

the reason i ask is if he is getting it from me then i should stop buying from him and trading with him at some point before declaring independence. if mythological it doesnt matter and i can just do whatever benefits me without worrying that it also benefits him.

2: is there anyway to predict where the kings army arrives? where i started when the game did? near a large important city? random map edge placement? a few turns sailing away? always atlantic or can it also be pacific? i know in vanilla that he starts near where you did and goes directly for the closest city but the game description says hes smarter. how much smarter and how much change in his starting placement?

the reason im asking is im really trying everything in this game so i learn it better. ive now got almost 50 cities and plan on getting almost 200. ive figured out production, trade, etc and want to figure out war. if he comes in from the atlantic side near where i started i can hide galleons on the pacific and trade while fighting (for instance) and can orient my defenses towards the atlantic or even near where i was floating on turn 1 of the game or even the large island that i first settled. whereas if hes really "smart" then i need to wonder where he is going to pop up and im going to have to create several focal points for stationing troops which will significantly weaken my initial resistance by not knowing his path of entry.

3: with natives does having their empire "cut" into separate chunks influence how likely they are to make peace with you? how quickly can a native city produce new troops?

the reason i ask is montezuma started with roughly 100+ cities. ive razed about 25 of them so ive a significant negative modifier. however, i cut his empire in two and plopped roughly 30 cities down and held the land razing his nearby cities to well outside my cultural boundries. he had a group of 5 cities south and maybe 70 to the north. he flat out refused to accept any peace for a long time. then, i got tired of his BS and took out the 5 cities to the south. suddenly he wanted peace even though we were still fighting. im wondering if the fact that he had cities separated from each other by my cities made him refuse peace but once they werent around anymore he accepted the inevitable.

also, ive killed over 650+ of his troops. when we took peace he was hurting. id razed almost every coastal city he had via amphibious invasions that melted back onto ships. id built up my border cities to huge defenses and just slaughtered any troops that got near them. now that we have peace im wondering how many or even if he is regenerating troops for his next attack on me.

4: if i am in need of ore is it viable to create 2-3 (or more) very small cities (1-2 ore miners in each) in a mountain range solely to mine ore to ship out elsewhere and a large food city nearby to pump in food to keep these small mining cities alive? does anyone have any advice on how the governor settings regarding production priorities can assure a high food supply combined with the governor settings on trade can be set so the city kicks out tons of food yet never increases in size?

thanks everyone for all of the help so far!

Did you modify the size of the map you play? It looks like you're using XXL-super-sized maps. The balancing of TAC relates on standard values, extreme values could have influence in the balancing.

1: does the king get his cash to hire a larger army from me or is it mythological cash.

The money you pay in Europe or give to the king is removed out of the game.

i played the vanilla 1x and ran into the micromanagement hell. i searched the forums here for what others had done to find if there were an easier way to play. i ran into TAC. i downloaded, tried it, and found that it made a game with promise that fell short into a playable game that was enjoyable.

since i was still really new to colonization (but have played extensively on civ 2, 3, 4, plus expansions) i thought id start on easy and figure it out from there. i picked what i thought were the easiest settings.

i went with a huge map to have more room to explore, to be able to create more cities, and thus to try out different things.

i went with two opponents thinking that it would give me less difficulties. in civ 2, 3, or 4 starting with less opponents usually makes the game easier. i picked random. for some odd reason it gave me 3 + the king. all three were native. all three had fully formed empires. my map has 1 very small island (4 squares), 2 small islands (30 or less squares), 1 big island (large enough for about 10 cities), and a huge continental land mass. one native tribe is north continental, one (montezuma) is central with (previously) the large island (which is where i made landfall, and the other is south continental and has the two small islands. i now realize that picking fewer opponents, when they are natives, just means they have bigger empires. oops.

starting on the small island were maybe 6 or 7 cities of montezuma. it didnt take long before my culture hit his and he attacked me by surprise. i had maybe 5 cities at the time and none was bigger than maybe a 9 in size. his 6 or 7 cities had maybe 80-100 warriors and it took me a LONG time to gather enough strength to hold him off and beat him. thankfully it appears natives dont use ships and thus werent able to send help from the mainland. finally i razed his cities and threw him off the island.

after i had about 10 cities with developed economies i settled the very small island to form an advance naval base near the northern continent which has very good resources. however, i decided that id already pissed off montezuma and it was better to continue to piss him off than to add another native tribe to those trying to kill me - so i came in to settle the continent in montezumas central location which is only 1-5 turns sailing from my island. i built up a navy, brought over tons of people, and built 5 cities in a wedge formation. each city had 10+ musketmen fortified. i immediately started to build up defenses because i knew what was coming.

it didnt take long for montezuma to hit me again. he never had a stack of doom but he would semi surround my cities with stacks of 5, 10, 20 troops and just keep repeatedly hitting them. he razed a few cites. i went back in time to a previous save, reloaded it, and tried again. this time with each city have 20+ musketmen fortified. this time my cities held.

i loaded 4 galleons with troops and a few ships of the line and i started floating up his coast razing cities. mostly to pull his troops that way and to get them off my cities. i razed maybe 6-7 coastal cities. then i counter attacked inland from my cities and took out another 10-12 cities. this is what split his empire in two. my northern border was 2 cities along a river and a coastal city on the pacific. i fortified troops behind the river in the woods, garrisoned the hell out of those cities, and watched him just repeatedly hit them. i razed the cities nearby to get rid of cultural overlap in the hope i could get peace. he flat out refused and told me to talk to the knife. he had 5 cities to my south that i had planned to leave as buffers between me and the other native tribe to ensure no difficulties. however, it stretched my forces too thin to guard both flanks. so i took out his cities to the south, settled 7 cities there (with another 4 on the way), and ensured i had lots of space (7 squares or more) between my cities and my native southern neighbor. as soon as i took out montezumas last city on my southern side he immediately asked for peace. ive only fought montezuma and the game shows that ive killed 637 of his natives. frankly, im a little scared to start a fight with the others.

since im mostly interested, this time through, in learned the "secrets" of the game im not really interested in declaring war against the king just yet. ive had events occur trying to force it - my capital rioted when i couldnt pay off the instigator of an protest against me and my support of king george (for instance). its almost 1800 now. it might be 1900 or so before i declare independence. who knows. when i do i want a huge military war so i have more opportunities to learn how to fight in the game. to practice some different tactics, etc. im running a military of felons and indentured servants and its about 150 strong right now. im hoping for a war in which the troops get into the 500+ range on my side.

i realize the game im playing is unconventional. however, it wasnt meant to be that way. i just wanted a huge empty map with only a few opponents to figure it all out. instead i appear to have walked into a map of massive indian nations.

i put three saved game files here. one at the start. one about 50 years ago. one is my most recent save.

Attachments

• us AD-1562-January.ColonizationSave
    171.4 KB · Views: 48
  • us AD-1793-July.ColonizationSave
    411.1 KB · Views: 43
  • us AD-1741-January.ColonizationSave
    287 KB · Views: 89
just checking - according to statistics

678 natives killed
32 settlements razed

montezuma still has 25 settlements. so he started with 57. not 100+. i guess it seemed alot scarier when they were all over me and beating me with the :hammer:

another indian civ has 14 settlements and the third has 26. it was my misfortune to run into the strongest first AND to have it be montezuma at that.

i have 40 settlements and am about to build 4 more in the next 10 turns or less.

Ok, I know in vanilla you can get by with minimal cities but in AoD2 it seems 6 (strategically placed) would be balanced. What would be typical in TAC on a standard sized map?

Ok, I know in vanilla you can get by with minimal cities but in AoD2 it seems 6 (strategically placed) would be balanced. What would be typical in TAC on a standard sized map?

Almost regardless of the size of the map, I usually target 13 colonies as a go-to number. It just feels right, somehow. :D

Uh boy - I've never played yet with such high numbers of Civs, Units and Cities (and such a huge map) as described by endrsgm, so I can't really give any hints on that particular strategy. :)

When playing TAC (or actually RaR, which is based on TAC, but enhance gameplay dramatically again) I usually have around 6 - 12 cities. Depending on terrain, map (and neighbours) I have a few "main cities" (lot of production, bells, storage, etc.), beside there are smaller cities with just "specialiced purposes" (like a city making just a lot of wood and/or mining lots of iron for my main cities). Some cities are also placed without economical reason, but for "marking" the terrain and claim the land... :D

One thing to remember is that the stronger you are, the stronger the King is. You can mitigate this somewhat by storing fewer guns and horses, but then you're defending a much larger area with fewer troops.

If you're going that big, colony wise, I'd advise a naval defense strategy and game the AI a bit. The AI is rather poor at choosing invasion spots when you have a continuous coastal blockade, as he is loathe to risk loaded Men of War on attack. Leave one coastal tile unblocked (preferably a forested hill) with a large fortified welcoming committee. Many of his troops should suicide on that tile in amphibious attacks, and you can mop up the rest still on their transports with your nodal forces of 30+ ships of the line. The final wave may be more challenging, but your ground troops should be sufficient to clean up any leakers. Good luck!

im trying to game him the other way. so far we are in an arms race.
ive got
85 cannon, 56 ships of the line, 150 musketmen, 55 cuirrassiers, 16100 weapons, 12500 horses, and some loose mercs, privateers, frigates, etc that wont amount to much. my population is 65400.
the king has
62 man o war, 57 artillery, 15 dragoons, 50 cuirrassiers, 80 soldiers, 45 hessians.

im cranking out ships of the line and cannons as fast as i can. right now my core of 12 old cities are producing most, which i spread around. i want ever city to have 450 horses, tools, and weapons stored then to have 2 treks holding another 600 horses and 1800 guns per city. thats the goal.
my "newer" 25 cities are almost on line to start helping production of troops, weapons, etc. right now im still building them up. ive got 24 galleons right now and at any given time 6-8 are shipping goods and another 4-5 are moving stuff around from my initial island to the mainland.
when the new cities are done im going to take out montezuma and drop another 27 cities. that will leave 2 native empires intact, one north and one south. if i have to ill take them out as well and expand even more. i think the management of that much will get to me though, even automated its already alot of work.

my main fear is that the king comes from the pacific. if so he catches me with my pants down. i lose fast then.

im going for a naval strategy of hitting his fleets hard. having stored so many guns, etc i think i can continue to mass produce ships of the line even while at war. ill have most of a continent... . the island is there to bleed him. i think i can fight inland, retreating and hitting what i can, then run to galleons and amphib out to the mainland since its so close. he shouldnt be able to stop my galleons in the two turns it takes to get there and get back (or 1 turn if there and then running). if im lucky i shred his forces in the island and leave them without enough boats to follow in force. ive fortified the dickens out of the cities inland in the mainland. huge chunks of my population are ranger 2 or mountain 2. i hope to use that to hit and run inland.

if anyone is interested i can pop the file into here a few turns before i declare revolution. then others can have a huge fully developed map, a large army, and can play it as a mini military game.

Just a quick question. Can anyone tell me if 'The New World' (Once discovered, it was changed forever) scenario for AoDII has been converted for TAC?

Can anyone tell me if 'The New World' (Once discovered, it was changed forever) scenario for AoDII has been converted for TAC?

We didn't adapt it for TAC, Antmanbrooks.

If I may ask, is there any way to add nations to TAC? And what would I have to do to make them work?

Thanks in advance.

If I may ask, is there any way to add nations to TAC? And what would I have to do to make them work?

Hi Mentat, :)

surely, it is possible to add further nations to TAC. Will it be your first modding project?

I'm sorry I can't give you detailed instructions here. At the moment the TAC team is at work to create a further nation, a small Add-On. A new young member of TAC team is working on that, and the other ones are supporting him. He needs some time to create the nation and a lot of explainings. At our German forum we have a thread with modding-instructions and specific information about nations (here and here), but sorry, they are only available at German.

Briefly: You need xml-changes to implement the nation, the king of the nation, the leaders, their traits and diplomatic values, the artstyle of their units. And you need artwork-files for the unit-style inclusively new buttons, the soundtrack for the nation and some colopedia-texts for the leaders and the civilization.

Top Bottom