1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] The Authentic Colonization (TAC)

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Writing Bull, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Chieftain

We have removed Aggressive AI because the AI of TAC is already active and aggressive. And we have removed New random seed because that was necessary to fix bugs.
    That's a problem of Vanilla. But I think you are right: It is a good idea to change this ...
    At our new version TAC 2.02d this bug is fixed. ;)

2. melcher kürzer

melcher kürzer Explorer

I don't think that's an good idea.
    You don't need that much exploration points. In the beginning you won't have enough poltical points anyway. But you can sell your map to the AI too. They really love to buy maps. I do it all the time. It would be way to easy to make some good money.
    And money is way more important then exploration points, especially in the beginning.

3. Wahnfried

Wahnfried Chieftain

I played TAC in the holy night and on the first chrismas day... it is a very stable and good modification of Civ4Col... it is difficult but addictive. It seems to have not many bugs.
    Really... I likes it much and will continue to play.

4. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Chieftain

I'm glad that you like to play our mod. If you have any question, please visit our German development forum. There is a great community für German-speaking users like you. ;)

5. Teeron

Teeron Chieftain

Hello everyone.

Happy New Year!

And a question.

Me and my friend are eager to play Civ 4 Col with TAC mod. The problem is it does not load at all on his PC (game crushes to desktop). On my PC I am able to choose the mod and when I press ok I face a long number of different error messages. I press enter to skip them all, then the title screen of the mod appears. But after I go single player=>nation selection=>game length and map size and press ok - the game crushes to the desktop. I was trying to find some info on this matter but was not able. We both are using unpatched version of the game. The game itself launches with no problem. And considering there were no signs of similar issues in this whole thread I dunno what to think.

I am using Win 7 Prof, He - Win XP.

Thank you for any info you would be able to provide.

6. Ronnar

Ronnar Chieftain

Hello Teeron,

please note that the TAC mod requires a Colonization game patched to the latest official version 1.01f.

You can either get it through the auto-update function of Colonization or directly at
    http://www.firaxis.com/downloads/Patch/ColonizationPatch1.01f.exe.

TAC will not work with an unpatched version of Colonization, sorry!

7. agaro

agaro Chieftain

Post #1 in this thread mentions requirement for the patch.

Also be aware that even with the patch, it might look like the game crashes to desktop when the TAC mod is selected and loading. It might take as long as 30secs but the game will come up again ... just hang in there (as mentioned in posts #8 and #29).

8. Ronnar

Ronnar Chieftain

That should no longer be the case with the latest version TAC 2.02d. Loading times are down to a few seconds.

9. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Chieftain

We recommend installing the patch manually to avoid any issues.

10. agaro

agaro Chieftain

Thanks Ronnar, I had missed the actual release of new 2.02d version.

Will 2.02c saves run in 2.02d or will I have to keep a version of 2.02c to run any of my old games?

11. Teeron

Teeron Chieftain

Thank you for fast replies. Already patched the game and everything is running smoothly. My bad did not see the patch requirement in the 1st message. Me and my mate are playing multiplayer atm through direct connect. Since none of us have ever played vanila version it is hard to say what has changed. But from a perspective of technical execution - everything is perfect. No crushes, no error messages.

Thank you a lot for your excellent work!

12. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Chieftain

No, they won't. ;)
    Fine! :)

13. Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz aka Akropolis

There is no 2.02c version for download.

14. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Because it had to be replaced by 2.02d to correct an error.

15. agaro

agaro Chieftain

Thanks for responses,

I already have 2.02c running, I don't need to download it.

If I install 2.02d as well, will this:
    - overwrite 2.02c, or
    - will the Load a Mod screen give me the option to select either 2.02c or 2.02d depending on whether I want to run my current games or start a new one.

16. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Chieftain

Each TAC-version has an own name and doesn't overwrite other TAC-versions. You can play "c" or you can play "d", it's your choice ...

17. Floating Pants

Floating Pants Drunk on Life

Heya, I appreciate the effort in the mod, but I must say, I'm not really liking it. Hardly anything is listed in the manual (then again, my German's a bit rough) or here, so maybe a few tips here could stimulate my interest in it once again.

Like I said, it really doesn't seem like much of an almighty "authentic" mod. For one, I find that these limitations keep me from playing the game how I want to...

Why do you start with none of the houses? These are houses, you know, private property that citizens themselves build, not the governor. It seems just so irritating to have to build all these things first before I can get to the good stuff, and it's not even a pleasant build-up.

The raise in the prices of guns is really irritating, as well! The way I like to play the game is to buy my guns and tools and horses from Europe until I have my settlements beefed up enough to build them myself. As the game is, I can't even afford to buy guns to protect myself, and the King's prices are hardly any better despite how "intelligent" he is. Should know that his colonies need to be protected by the natives.

This also leaves me confused at the AI. I look at them, with so many stacks of troops it seems like the regular Civ4. That's not really how I envision Colonization to be, after all, Cortes conquered the Aztec with an army of less than 1,000. Just spamming purchases of soldiers and cannon garrisons really isn't that fun. The rise in difficulty in killing the natives is far from more realistic.

And if I'm having trouble now with the natives, that incomprehensible size of the king's army seems nigh impossible to tackle.

Yeah, like I said, I appreciate the effort on the mod, but it's just hit and miss. The new resources, buildings and native mercs are pretty cool, and the further orientation to expansion is pretty fun as well. But that's just countered by the other stuff that makes it less fun to play... Authentic colonization should revolve more around realism, that means implementing diseases, slave trade, expanded conquest, enlightenment, more realistic rebellions, etc.

I might finish this game I'm on now (second one, abandoned the first because it didn't turn out so well), but if I don't get to liking it, I probably won't be playing the mod again. Sorry. :(

18. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Pretty hard judgement.

Most of the points you dislike a lot of other players (including myself) really like. :)

Everybody simply has a different style of playing.
    It is not possible to make everybody happy. ;)

19. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Chieftain

Is there a map (huge one) that is based on the historical colonisatioin of America?

20. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Chieftain

TAC includes three new scenario maps: TAC America, TAC South America and TAC NorthwestPassage. TAC America is a TAC-version of Western Hemisphere (Huge) with realistic and coherent temperate zones, authentic rivers, authentic mountains, authentic islands, well balanced transferplots and well balanced starting positions. Native nations are classified into three categories (North America, Central America and South America) so that their villages are placed approximately at those parts of the continent at which they traditionally have settled.