[MOD] The Authentic Colonization (TAC)

Thanks for reporting, majche! :)
I just made a note on German "CivForum" (where the mod had been developed) and I guess the download will be restored soon.

We had a server migration yesterday and our admin was working hard to get everything up and running again.

All downloads from civforum.de including the downloads for TAC should now work again.

Have fun playing TAC - although we are no longer actively updating the mod, we are still around for support.

Glad you guys are still around for support. This is my first time playing to the end and the last of the REF is barricaded in one of my cities and I have them surrounded! One more turn and victory is mine. But the game crashes to desktop. At this point, I'm just playing to see the Victory screen/video, so it's not that big of a deal but, I'd really like to go ahead and complete the game. And also I don't know if this is a common bug and will happen in every game.

Luckily this far into any Civ type game I save after every turn. So I have the save file. I've re-loaded it four times and it crashes like clockwork. I can post a dropbox link to it if that will help the modders find the bug. I'll wait to post it though. I just signed up and this site is on guard against spam and posting a link might look fishy.

Anyway, I have this to say about the TAC mod: WOW! I never played the original. Vanila Civ 4 Colonization was okay IMHO. But after playing TAC, I see why you guys felt this mod really needed to exist. It has put Colonization into my pantheon of greatest games ever made. Thanks for making it.

Hi ClassicOdor,

glad you like the TAC mod and had fun playing.

Right now I have no clue why your game crashes, so a save game would really be helpful.

I can't promise that we can find and/or fix the bug though.

Hi ClassicOdor,

glad you like the TAC mod and had fun playing.

Right now I have no clue why your game crashes, so a save game would really be helpful.

I can't promise that we can find and/or fix the bug though.

Thanks! Here's the save. I'm running it on Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50121281/TAC-GameCrashSave.ColonizationSave

As I said before, it's not that big of a deal. I started a new game and the initial panic from that game has worn off a little. I like immediately ran from the crash to this forum. If it's unfixable, that's cool. I'm just hoping it's a one off thing.

I can't say enough good things about this mod. It's the best I've ever played for any game. After playing vanilla, it was like stepping out of Plato's Cave.

Hi there
Just want to say thank you for this wonderful mod. Brought back the enjoyment to this game and the sleepless nights :)
However, I'm being seriously aggravated by the issue of the natives declaring war no matter what.
In one of my previous games, I had a native neighbor with +8/-12 relations at some point and still did not attacked me, and when Pocahontas joined me, we were like bff.
After playing for some time I realized I want more colonies from the start, so I loaded same game, from 1492, and tried it.
Needless to say, I got stomped all over by the same tribe that did nothing in the first run.
It got me thinking, maybe I didn't have enough military, maybe not enough missionaries, maybe I haven't gifted enough rum, maybe I razed too many european colonies in their area of influence....
So I start another game. Only 3 cities, decent army, razed 4 europen colonies but only 2 of them in their area of influence, gifted them, 4 out of 9 villages with missionaries... and still they frigging charge me, with +4/-2 relations...
So I try to cheat a little, I want to enjoy the rest of the game. I open up editor, and I delete every single brave in this tribe, and set villages to size 1. Still they charge... with braves appearing out of thin air. I even set diplomacy to 100... they charge. In a previous run, I rushed to Pocahontas before they strike, and still they charged...
Unfortunately I deleted previous saved games, so I cannot produce evidence, but if one of you smart people who created this mod can have a look at the latest saved game, which I attached, and tell me that this is the way is supposed to be, and I need to wage war on the natives from day one, I would be most grateful.
Because the way it is right now, I think it's a little broken, and seriously hinders one's enjoyment level :sad:

Attachments

• SimiZPA AD-1599-July pre delete natives.ColonizationSave
    348.8 KB · Views: 155
Hi there
tell me that this is the way is supposed to be, and I need to wage war on the natives from day one, I would be most grateful.

I've been able to keep peace and not wage war on the natives and usually have them as allies when I declare independence. I think the thing that might be a little broken is that the +/- red/green diplomacy list doesn't give you a true indication of your standing with the natives. It seems like when you first arrive at all times you are considered a threat. If you settle too close, your borders will be threatening when they expand. And no matter how much they like you, they may attack. I try to settle far away from anybody so the "Years of peace" and other green pluses build up. Also, having a military that can go on the offensive seems to keep the peace. I try to have a couple of musketmen and a cannon early on. This might actually be the most important thing.

The thing that bugs me and seems might be rigged is that the rival colonies' privateers seem to make a B-line for my ships. Even if I settle far away from everyone else, they'll come sailing all the way down to the other end of the planet to get my ships.

I'm playing America and settling far away from natives is not possible, because they are everywhere.
Since my posting, I've rolled back a few years and with some gifting, they gave me two of their settlements and we've reached +6/0 diplomacy. And guess what... yes, they still attacked :)

Hey guys, great mod! been playing for a few months and completely addicted. Finally beat the game on patriot ( or whatever the second hardest level is ). Anyways, i noticed that the player has the ability to modify some things through the XML files. Is there a way to modify the starting price of the goods in europe? My biggest frustration is the price of manufactured goods typically so low, with the exception of guns. Is there a way for me to edit this for my own games? Thanks!

Hey guys, great mod! been playing for a few months and completely addicted. Finally beat the game on patriot ( or whatever the second hardest level is ). Anyways, i noticed that the player has the ability to modify some things through the XML files. Is there a way to modify the starting price of the goods in europe? My biggest frustration is the price of manufactured goods typically so low, with the exception of guns. Is there a way for me to edit this for my own games? Thanks!

Hey!
You need to open the file "CIV4YieldInfos.xml" with a text editor. You will find this file in x:/..Tac-folder (don't remember the exact name)/assets/xml/terrain

The entry for a good looks like this:

<YieldInfo>
<Type>YIELD_CLOTH</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_YIELD_CLOTH</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_YIELD_CLOTH_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
<bCargo>1</bCargo>
<iBuyPriceLow>8</iBuyPriceLow>
<iBuyPriceHigh>12</iBuyPriceHigh>
<iSellPriceDifference>1</iSellPriceDifference>
<iPriceChangeThreshold>800</iPriceChangeThreshold>
<iPriceCorrectionPercent>2</iPriceCorrectionPercent>
<iNativeBuyPrice>9</iNativeBuyPrice>
<iNativeSellPrice>-1</iNativeSellPrice>
<iNativeConsumptionPercent>50</iNativeConsumptionPercent>
<iNativeHappy>0</iNativeHappy>
<iHillsChange>0</iHillsChange>
<iPeakChange>0</iPeakChange>
<iLakeChange>0</iLakeChange>
<iCityChange>0</iCityChange>
<iMinCity>0</iMinCity>
<iAIWeightPercent>100</iAIWeightPercent>
<iAIBaseValue>0</iAIBaseValue>
<iNativeBaseValue>0</iNativeBaseValue>
<iPower>0</iPower>
<iAsset>1</iAsset>
<ColorType>COLOR_YIELD_FOOD</ColorType>
<UnitClass>UNITCLASS_CLOTH</UnitClass>
<iTextureIndex>-1</iTextureIndex>
<iWaterTextureIndex>-1</iWaterTextureIndex>
<Icon>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Colonization_Atlas.dds,1,15</Icon>
<HighlightIcon>,Art/Interface/Screens/City_Management/Colonization_Yield_Highlight_Icon_Atlas.dds.dds,1,2</HighlightIcon>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Colonization_Atlas.dds,1,2</Button>
</YieldInfo>

<iBuyPriceLow>8</iBuyPriceLow>
<iBuyPriceHigh>12</iBuyPriceHigh>

-> this entry determines the starting (buying)price of that good.
Price is taken randomly between the high and the low number.
So if you want for example 15 as a fixed starting price, just change both numbers to 15.

<iSellPriceDifference>1</iSellPriceDifference>

-> the diffrence between the buying and selling price.
Your sale price will always be lower as the starting price by this amount.

<iPriceChangeThreshold>800</iPriceChangeThreshold>

-> determines how often (or likely) the price of that good will change
higher numbers mean less likely

<iPriceCorrectionPercent>2</iPriceCorrectionPercent>

-> not sure (and not so important)

I'm playing America and settling far away from natives is not possible, because they are everywhere.
Since my posting, I've rolled back a few years and with some gifting, they gave me two of their settlements and we've reached +6/0 diplomacy. And guess what... yes, they still attacked :)

Have you tried the Faire-Weather map? It seems to usually result in a few parking spots in the far north and far south that are a little out of the way. The diplomacy thing is a bad barometer. I currently have +1/-8 with the Arawak and they haven't attacked. One thing that might be happening to you and has happened to me is that one of the rival colonies paid the natives to attack you.

I gave it a try once, but it produced way too many hills for my taste. didn't play too much with the settings though.
"...One thing that might be happening to you and has happened to me is that one of the rival colonies paid the natives to attack you..." <- that
don't know why I was thinking that the player was the only one who could do that. in the first game I made razing foreign colonies the first order of business. this time around I just let them do their thing.
no more mr nice guy from now on :lol:
thank you very much for the hint

I found a bug/glitch. A faire-weather map I just started last night placed a whale under ice. I wondered if that might not cause problems in the game like causing it crash. And then the following might be totally unrelated. But I was playing the same map this morning and my computer froze. It might not be related at all because my computer froze last month on a YouTube video so it might be a driver problem on my computer (hopefully not hardware related.) But it also might be because of that whale under the ice. But I'm not sure. Anyway, I just wanted to report the bug. Haven't seen it happen before so it might be a one off thing.

Edit:

The whale under the ice definitely was not what was causing my computer to freeze. A card under my video card was loose.

Is there a mod that makes the new world map on tac one big land?

Is there a way to make more sugar, tobacco, and other raw products appear? All (mostly 80%) of the land is fur/wood. Maybe some ore but now (thankfully) I learned ore city is a good way to become self reliant. Food is kinda hard to get inland too

First off, thank you folks for all your hard work on this mod! Appreciate that you have tried to improve and maintain the replay value of this game.

I found this mod because the Colonization IV version on steam, no longer has the Western Hemisphere map. Is there anyway to play on the Western Hemisphere map that this mod allows, but without any of the other changes to the game? Such as units, resources etc. I notice this mod changes a lot about the vanilla game.

Essentially, I am wondering if I can use this mod, to play the vanilla version + Western Hemisphere map?

Thanks!

Is there anyway to lower the propensity for european rivals to build colonies? Its like 10 turns into a game and they completely surround me.

Hey TAC crew,

I know you've finalized this and not working on the game anymore, but

I wanted to to re-issue the complaint about the two-tiles-between-colonies restriction.

I know the AI like to build stupid cities (I remember this form the vanilla game), but sometimes I want two crowd colonies myself. Sometimes I want to grab all of those meaty food bonuses, or use all tiles of a river valley. When there is enough food, crowding is acceptable to me, because in Colonization a lot of the important work happens in the city anyway, rather than on the tiles.

If you guys ever release a patch, could you make this an option in the Custom Game start menu? Or, would anyone direct me to the file where I can change it myself? (With my newbie programming experience).

Hey TAC crew,

If you guys ever release a patch, could you make this an option in the Custom Game start menu? Or, would anyone direct me to the file where I can change it myself? (With my newbie programming experience).

We will not release a patch for TAC, but this is a very easy change you can do with any text editor:

- navigate to ...Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\TAC 2.03_final\Assets\XML
- open GlobalDefinesAlt.xml with a text Editor
- Change the MIN_CITY_RANGE entry from 2 to 1:

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>MIN_CITY_RANGE</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

Top Bottom