[MOD] The Authentic Colonization (TAC)

We will not release a patch for TAC, but this is a very easy change you can do with any text editor:

- navigate to ...Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\TAC 2.03_final\Assets\XML
- open GlobalDefinesAlt.xml with a text Editor
- Change the MIN_CITY_RANGE entry from 2 to 1:

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>MIN_CITY_RANGE</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

I knew there would be an easy fix. Thank you! Very much appreciate it, as well as all the work you've done for the mod.

First off, thank you folks for all your hard work on this mod! Appreciate that you have tried to improve and maintain the replay value of this game.

I found this mod because the Colonization IV version on steam, no longer has the Western Hemisphere map. Is there anyway to play on the Western Hemisphere map that this mod allows, but without any of the other changes to the game? Such as units, resources etc. I notice this mod changes a lot about the vanilla game.

Essentially, I am wondering if I can use this mod, to play the vanilla version + Western Hemisphere map?

Thanks!
Well, to begin with, I wouldn't recommend to play the game in the Vanilla version. Mods such as TAC or RAR makes the game really much better. So you wouldn't like my answer but I would say, don't try to use a better map with vanilla Civ4Col. Use mods, you won't regret it.

As for the map of the Western hemisphere, I've actually created a pretty accurate map of the Americas, but it requires RAR to be played for the simple reason it's too big for Vanilla. Don't be fearful of the size, it only makes the game more immersive. From Iceland to Cape Horn, from the Klondike Valley to the Caribbeans, from Mesoamerica to Peru, the scale actually feels real.

Of course you may argue that I'm only sponsoring my product, but it's actually the player I am who's talking. I didn't want the map to be that big at start, it's the other players who insisted, and they were so right.

The map is now directly incorporated within RAR, so no extra download is required. For more information about it, see here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521791

See larger version

Are there any changes made by this Mod that interferes with the vanilla game?

I noticed a light forest growing, which I didn't think could happen in vanilla, and also the price for horses was suspiciously high.

I'm curious to know if there are any _English_ readme files etc for TAC somewhere?

I just installed the final version and told it to show the read me file and to my dismay it was all in German :cry:..so ....

Any help?

TIA

No, there exists no English Readme since the modding team is German and the translation - as far as exists - of the mod ingame is only a courtesy translation. But the readme has not been translated.

I just wanted to register and say "thank you" for TAC!

I was a big Colonization (1994 version) player back in the day and I wondered about an up to date version of that very fun game. After doing research, I came upon TAC and decided to buy Colonization IV just to be able to install TAC.

Playing the game, it is VERY fun. It has the same vibe the old Colonization had, nice graphics, less bugs and especially it actually brings some fun new game play elements to the table. Love it! Thank you everyone, thank you. I'm going to have a load of fun discovering Colonization a second time.

If you read this post before, ignore it, I fixed the issue, forgot to download patch.
Is there anyway to delete posts????

Quick question: does TAC explicitly allow training of converted natives in native villages?

I tried searching the forum and closest I could find was http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/converted-natives-living-among-natives-question.540148/ which doesn't really answer the question. I tested both the vanilla game (doesn't allow training of converted natives in native villages - makes sense as it is v.101 final) and TAC (allows training of converted natives) to confirm. I wonder if that was a deliberate design decision to override the balancing from the 1.01f patch or an accidental consequence?

Quick question: does TAC explicitly allow training of converted natives in native villages?

I tried searching the forum and closest I could find was http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/converted-natives-living-among-natives-question.540148/ which doesn't really answer the question. I tested both the vanilla game (doesn't allow training of converted natives in native villages - makes sense as it is v.101 final) and TAC (allows training of converted natives) to confirm. I wonder if that was a deliberate design decision to override the balancing from the 1.01f patch or an accidental consequence?

Yes, you can use converted natives to learn a skill in a native village :)

Thanks Migalhone. Makes it easier to convert them to soldiers :). Interesting that the authors decided to revert the change made in the official patch.

Thanks Migalhone. Makes it easier to convert them to soldiers :). Interesting that the authors decided to revert the change made in the official patch.

I've actually never used them as soldiers. I've been playing CIV4:colonization+TAC for like 11 hours, never finished 1 game at all, i'm merely messing around :)

EDIT: I'm checking the in-game Colopedia and it says on the Converted Native page: "(...) Converted Natives cannot be assigned to the Soldier or Dragoon professions."

Last edited:
I cant get this TAC to run. When I double click the desktop icon i get a message says "The item 'Colonization.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been chaged or moved.

Hi, thanks for the mod!
My questions and observations:
- Is it on purpose that Silver and Iron ore deposits are only on Hills? This way the silver output of a Peak is equal to Hills with silver resource, making the resource not very useful.
- Alt-R is the hotkey for two functions! : Show resources on map, and Route to mode. When a unit is selected, the latter works, it's a bit annoying.
- In Europe I can't see the transaction numbers that were there in the original (ie. when I sell something it'd give the price, the tax and the result)

Top Bottom