1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. rumbold

rumbold Chieftain

I agree, an FAQ at the beginning of the thread might be useful.

I believe you can change any of the hardcoded game options on the map by right-clicking on the map and opening using a program like WordPad and deleting the particular game option you want removed (will look something like GAME OPTION = NO TECH TRADING).

Haven't tried this yet, though. Can anyone confirm?

2. waylander

waylander Chieftain

Sorry for the late reply but I have been very busy with work and away on vacation.

I have been playing on Prince level with random large maps.

To start I will say that after taking your comments into consideration and trying several starts the problem isn't as bad as I oringinally thought. I still think there is an issue but it is not that severe. I still end up with a lot of extra troops that just get assigned a mercenaries but with a little planning I can aim for wonders and other things to keep the cities building.

One thing I would like to point out that by having large number of mercenaries the player has a huge advantage over the AI. In the last two games I have moved fairly quickly to Iron Working. I then build 10-20 Armoured Swordsman ( I think I have the name right) and I don't have to pay any upkeep while they are being hired out as mercs. When the time is right I call them back and two turns later grab or burn several cities of my neighbour to damage them and then once peace is signed I put the troops back in as mercs. This way I have a huge reserve that the AI just doesn't seem to make use of.

Waylander

3. waylander

waylander Chieftain

I have noticed two bugs with v2.02

1. I fighting the Chinese and two of the cities I captured did not give me the option to raze. So now I am stuck with a couple of unwanted cities which also cost me at lot of money in maintenance.

2. Sometimes new units don't get all experience they should when built. I have a city with barracks (+2 exp) and a Military academy (+3 exp). It has been building units for quite some time with 5 exp each. Then on the one turn a new unit only had 2 exp. The turn after the next unit didn't have any exp. The following unit again had 5 exp when built. It doesn't happen in any order that I can see but I have seen the bug in 2.0a also. It is expecially noticible when you 10+ cities pumping out land units every 2 or 3 turns and this bug keeps popping up on average every 20 or 30 builds.

Waylander

4. Nightravn

Nightravn Warlord

To address some of these issues.....

@waylander - This XP bug is known about but we are not sure what is causing it as it is so random in nature. We are working on optimizing allot of the code from all of the Mod Components so hopefully that should take care some of these peculiar bugs. Until then I just chalk it up to that unit just not being to bright so the training just doesn't take. Can you say minefield sweepers... ;)

@WarKirby - I would NOT turn off the No Tech trading as that is a major aspect of the game. The Tech trading is keyed to open borders and if you think it is to easy now then it would even more so with that enabled. I would suggest you starting playing at the noble or prince level if you want more of a challenge. That being said like Rumbold mention you can turn off any of the option we have enabled by deleting them from the map by using notepad to open up the map script or you can load the map through the Custom Scenario option in the game and modify all the options that way.

And yes we will be including more info into the FAQ we already have. :)

To all I don't think much is more is going to be done until Warlords is out and we have had time to adjust the Mod accordingly. I personally want to use their Great Generals as well as most of their other improvements but we as a team with your input as a community will decided on that stuff when the times comes.

5. Rootoslaw

Rootoslaw Chieftain

HI guys,
    The mod is great, fantastic work! .

6. AvianAvenger

AvianAvenger Warlord

I tried the latest version of this last night... was sort of impressed up till i tried the slavery civic.

The slavery civic has got to be the biggest bunch of horse ****e ever, The AI cannot handle it. Not long into the game my score was 4000 while julius ceasar the closest was 1400. The slaves are attacking in armies sometimes three at a time with better equipment than my army, which would be so bad if it wasn't that they where doing it every few turns.
    Its just un-realistic & over the top, its impossible to keep up with other civs if you are using it. The only thing it seemed to be good for was building up the experience of city defenders. Seriously consider toneing it down... alot.

Another thing i noticed is that your mod interfers with the code the auto selects which unit has still got to be given an order. It doesnt do it occaisonally. Sometimes it even gives me the "Press Esc to Exit city" when im not even in a city.

7. RobMontgomery

RobMontgomery Chieftain

I have a few comments to your suggestions, Thanks

8. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

@AvianAvenger. Dont choose the slavery civic immediately. It has great benefits but since up to three units may attack, you need to have every city defended by at least three units. Mercenaries can help here. Remember, once you protect a city you usually get another slave out of it, and as you said your defenders become more experienced.

@Waylander. Give the unwanted cities to an ally. Create a protectorate, spread your religion to these cities, some very nice possibilities.

I have seen the AI hire mercenaries, often at very smart times (city about to be attacked by conquistador, they hire an experienced spearman). If you use mercenaries with great frequency this can be countered by the AI spamming huge numbers of basic units. Ive seen the AI with such large stacks of archers and swordsmen. That led to a difficult war, their losses were sickening when they walked into ambush points as they tried to get to my cities.

My thoughts, have fun playing gentlemen.

9. Low Profile

Low Profile Chieftain

******** question here im sure sorry, but do i download
    v2.0
    2.0a
    or all of them sorry for the noob question, thanks in advance:confused:

10. Ioannes

Ioannes Chieftain

I also agree that the slave revolts happen more frequently than what is known in history. Perhaps we should cut the frequency in half or a quarter?

11. AvianAvenger

AvianAvenger Warlord

Okay i figured out what the deal with the slavery civic was... on a standard map its works fine, i got barely any slave revolts over a long period of time. However on a duel size map the slave revolts occur pretty much every turn (5-7 cities) and in large numbers. You just need to balance it out a bit to make it fairer on the smaller maps, but like i said a standard size map works absolutely fine.

Oh, and you might want to change a warriors strength to 3 to balance them out a bit. currently chariots & archers are double their strength(archers first strike) which makes it too easy to conquer a barb towns.

12. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

Warriors are the worst units in the game, the lowest of the low, they stand for the weakest militias ever created. The undisciplined sort that will break at a moments notice. They dont deserve an increase in strength. If they are made to be able to resist chariots, then what is the purpose of chariots? UU's such as the egyptian war chariot could then be thrashed by warriors on the defensive, which really shouldnt happen.

I am noticing that the computer isnt building very many ships. If i build a galley or two i can control the seas for a very long time. They are not proving innovative and building ships first, but waiting for me to start this type of conflict, then adapting. Just something that seems a little off.

13. citizen1

citizen1 Chieftain

:) This Mod Rocks:nuke:

14. Squiloqi

Squiloqi Chieftain

... wow i am so impressed. Very professinal... not some kindergarden mod like some other here :p

15. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

Instead of feeding them to the lions, the slaves from my conquests face off against giant sheep in the colosseum.

You who are about to die by giant carnivorous sheep, i salute you!

Attached Files:

16. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

Did you ever get this mod to work with the newest Civ4 patch? Do we share bugs found here? What direction is this mod headed now or is it still trying to crush bugs and general settings?

17. Ankenaton

Ankenaton "The Heretic"

Agree with you 100% on the warrior/chariot strength issue.

18. Misterbison13

Misterbison13 Chieftain

19. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

Just downloading the new version. I'll give it a go tonight and let you know what I think tomorrow. I did say at one time I would create a website for this mod. I could create a custom installer also.

20. Nightravn

Nightravn Warlord

@Low Profile and others - The Main Mod to DL is 2.0a and the the most recent patch is 2.02. So both of those file are necessary. DL them both then install the First one then the latter.

Hey Jake, been living under a rock lately? The Mod has been compatible with 1.61 for months now even before we moved to the 2.0 version. ;)

Thanks for offer of the installer and stuff but as you can see if you have DL'ed it we have already taken care of the installer. As for the web site well that would be great though to let the cat out of the bag a little early......... we have been graciously given our own Forum Section here at Civfanatics which we hope to have up soon and we will probably be using that plus what we have already set up at sourceforge to handle all of the organizational stuff. Though having a pretty web page pointing to those area would be awesome.

@Los Tirano - yeah you got to watch out for the Gaint Sheep they can be BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA D :)