1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Cube4

Cube4 Warlord

Sorry, I used X becuase I didn't remember the actual size. Anyway I was changing the size of the huge map in Terra.py and I would go into worldbuilder to see how big the map looked. After increasing the size several times, I noticed that the map didn't look any bigger. So, I saved the map in worldbuilder, to see if it was getting any bigger. I opened the Worldbuildersave file with notepad and scrolled all the way down, and saw that the last tile was 127 X 79. I searched the forum and found that I had to modify the Civ4Worldinfo.xml file in the vanilla folder. So I changed the values there that refer to map sizes to the sizes in the Original terra file. I opened the game, setup a terra map on huge, opened worldbuilder and saved. I opened the worldbuilder file with notepad and scrolled down, and saw that the last tile was 151 X 95.

I'm starting to think this might be a problem with the original game though, becuase I did this in Vanilla and got the same results. I just assumed that Terra.py was programmed to increase the map sizes automatically. When I used to play the original game before this mod came out I remember playing on terra maps that were bigger than 152 X 96. That was so long ago that I don't really remember if I changed the worldinfo.xml file or not, but I probably did. I heard somewhere that the SDK can break the game if it's used wrong, But since this is a mod I figure the SDK stuff it uses would only break the mod and not the original game. Anyway this probably is a problem with the original game, and it's not much of a bother, I just have to make sure the Map size values I put in the Terra file are also in the worldInfo file.

Also I remember some one from the Team was working on making the KREarth Map compatible with Total Realism how is that going.

2. Natit

Natit Chieftain

I fixed my problem =)

Attached Files:

3. SlackerXL

SlackerXL Chieftain

Congratulations to every single one involved in this superb project

you made the game as it should have been from the start...
    simply amazing
    renewed my interest in it by 200%...
    looking forward to the multiplayer version as well
    (can't wait to kick my little bro's RTS-lovin' a$$ in a total anihilation game)
    it will certainly redefine the term epic gameplay....

although i have the same question as Stumben pointed out earlier..

plus i'd like to know if i can add a few hundred more turns ...
    as the 850 are simply not enough to enjoy this game at the maximum

thanks again for this magnificent mod
    and i'm looking forward to see more stuff like this

Greetings from Athens/Greece

4. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

Yes, could add the incredibly realistic turn setting. 1700+ turns or something for those of us who want truly long games.

5. Flasch186

Flasch186 Chieftain

so is there a way to have the barbarians not be soooo effective? To tweak them down so in the modern days youre not fighting a continent of barbarians? Did I just miss it in the 50+ pages in this thread?

6. rumbold

rumbold Chieftain

You can always use WB and nerf them. I tried this for one game just to see if it'd improve wait time between turns. Might have helped performance a little, but not enough to make me want to do it every game.

I think you can do that the same way you can change gameplay settings (raging barbs, aggressive ai, etc) that I mentioned a few pages back. Just right-click the map file and there should be a line for the number of turns to play. You can make it any number (well, maybe not 0...I don't know if that'd be no turns or infinite). The problem with this is that I don't think any other part of the game would scale accordingly (i.e., turns to research, produce units, construct buildings, etc.), so the game play wouldn't match the game length.

I believe the "realism" game speed was something developed by Jaynus. Now that he is back, maybe he will provide additional gamespeed options?

I guess you can also go into the xml files for game speed and create your own, or import other game speeds you like (like FX's).

7. Nightravn

Nightravn Warlord

Concerning gamespeed and number of turns......

Rumbold has the right idea in that the easiest thing to do is to open up the map in notepad and change some of the settings there. Though I would suggest just taking out the Time Victory as that will allow you to play until another Victory condition was met. As for increasing the game turns it would just add that many more turns to before the time victory would take effect.

I have tried to add a 2 other game speeds to this Mod with a shorter one and a longer one but it is very difficult to do so with all the changes we have made and it always didn't feel right in terms of playability and just gave up on it for now. It might be something we look at in the future but I honestly feel playing without a time victory, as it lets you play as long as you like as long as you don't complete the other victory conditions, is the best solution at this time.

As for the Barbs you can always turn that option off in the map but I have made an alternate map with a less Barb Cities for us to test. I have removed the majority of the ones that were in close proximity to the Playable Civs as it seems that they might be effecting the AI in terms of them not improving their resources with their workers. For example Carthage, Rabat, Nubia, Tatar, Alan, Assyria and Babylon. I replaced the 2 native American ones in North America with one in the Colorado area and most of the other Barbs cities that weren't close enough to cause problems in order to keep the Rapid expansion down some.

I will try to get it out to yall soon but at least with the new patch that takes care of some of the speed issues.

8. rumbold

rumbold Chieftain

It appears Rhye has found a way to increase the number of Civ - now has a map with 24 on it. Is this something that might be done at some point in TR?

And I can't remember if it was discussed, but is there a reason for not being able to choose which leader you want to be? Why are the leader choices limited?

9. Subaru WrXxX

Subaru WrXxX Chieftain

Didnt see it anywhere but is this compatible with warlords yet? would luv 2 try it out, thanks

10. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Worst Civ player ever.

Sorry if this has been answered before: The information about one of my own units sometimes seems to be "stuck" on the left side of the screen which makes it difficult to read other informations which are displayed at that spot (see screenshot). Is there a way to avoid this?

11. SlackerXL

SlackerXL Chieftain

you can force it to refresh by pressing the windows key to get to the desktop and then back again into the game...

if you're far in the game though this could take a few seconds..
    (makes my 4.5ghz D940 and 2x74raptors raid seem like a celeron pc...)

12. alyx

alyx Chieftain

no need to switch to desktop. just hover/click any of your other units once or twice.

13. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Worst Civ player ever.

Thanks for the answers.

I'm playing the Total Realism Mod for the first time today and I have another question: How can I defend effectively against assassins? :sad: Every two or three rounds an enemy causes unrest in my capital and steals thousands of science points.:cry: :cry: :cry:
    Are the enemy assassins less successfull if more of my own assassins are stationed in the capital? Is it maybe possible to deactivate the assassin MOD, it's really getting on my nerves!

14. carnivore

carnivore Digital Monkey

when will there be scenarios for this kick azz mod ?

frankly , the start freom bc is kind of boring and mod doesn't work with other built in scenarios

p.s- is it working with warlords expension pack ?

thanx

15. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

You can make your own scenarios carnivore. Start game, open worldbuilder, add techs to bring civs up to desired era. Add units to specific civs, edit terrain to make it more interesting. And bob's your uncle.

P.S Bob is actually my uncle.

Considering how long a civ game takes, it isnt a long process.

16. carnivore

carnivore Digital Monkey

yes but , me lazy :D

17. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

News:

Guys this mod will become Warlord compatible, but this will take a while. (after next release)

Meanwhile:

@Alyx
    Thanks for mentioning the problem with the Airplanes. You are right they were not balanced.

What has been added since my last update:
    - Adding new Picture for the Zoroastrian Shrine once built. (Removed the Confucian Picture)
    - Added Roman WW2 Tank 'Fiat L6/40'
    - Added Chinook Transport Helicopter transports 6 foot soldier, green camouflaged Jungle/Forest bonus
    - Added Chinook Transport Helicopter transports 2 Tank/Artillery, Desert camouflaged , desert bonus
    - Added KA50 Gunship (comes with Satellites) excellent combat rates
    - Added mi24 Gunship/Transporter, good attack rates and can carry 2 foot soldier
    - Added mi26 the biggest transport helicopter in production, can carry 8 soldiers and is even faster. UU (replaces Infantry Chinook) for Russia, India, Greece, Aztec (Mexico), Inca (Peru)
    - Added Black Knight Button
    - Fixed the ICBM (now it is no longer gray and can be built)
    - Performance improved by Mexico's new algorithm (2 times check instead of 9 times, approx. 4 times faster now)
    - replacing Churchill Tank Model by a new one
    - Ninja (Japanses Assassin) has been fixed and is now fully functional.
    - added Tercio (Spanish UU for Musketman)
    - All Musketmen get a -75% vs Archers (due inaccuracy of early Muskets - refer to the Book of five Rings) (Still only Logbowmen can have a chance against them)

Airplanes re-balanced:
    - Fighters (WW2) get 100% vs Zeppelin
    - JetFighters (modern) get 150% vs WW1 Biplanes and 200% vs Zeppelins
    - Jet Bomber (modern) get 100% vs WW1 Biplanes, 100% vs WW1 Zeppelin and 50% vs Armored units (-50% on Air in general)
    - Stealth Bomber get 250% vs WW1 Biplanes, 250% vs Zeppelin and 150% vs WW2 Fighters and 50% vs Armored units (-50% on Sea in general)

stay tuned...

18. alyx

alyx Chieftain

great news! how 'bout cruise missiles ??

19. SlackerXL

SlackerXL Chieftain

oone quick question...
    i can't find a way to trade tech with the other civs....
    am i doing something wrong...
    i've researched all the necesary advances...
    i have open border agreements but still not tech trading option...
    :confused:

20. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

Tercios! Hooray. But er... they were mostly pikeman not musketmen. But oh well, im sure they will be good.

But Houman, if musketmen are -75% vs archers, then it will be useless attempting to take cities with them. Defending archers will kill them with ease. Musketeers also suddenly become near worthless. Also this goes against historical fact. Longbows do have better range and rate of fire. But muskets are loud and scary and leave extremely large holes in people. Primitive forces like bowmen often broke and ran in terror from guns. If you edit the mod like this, then bows should be used until riflemen appear. If you edit the mod like this, the -75% negates any bonus you are going to get from terrain. If you edit the mod like this, then how would more advanced nations, with their guns, fare against more primitive civs with their bows? They will be thrashed.

This goes against most historical evidence. Please reconsider this -75% vs archers.