[Mod] True Culture Location and Territory Naming for the Giant Earth Map

I agree with the idea, but it's not that simple to come up with a "intermediate expansion" list that isn't too arbitrary. I prefer if the criteria for including territories are based on some underlying principle.

With that said, let's just try this small list first, next to the existing larger list.

In this list, the following cultures are considered "noCapitalTerritory":
- Phoenicians (not that it matters in the first era, but this way I got to add Syria as their homeland
- Huns
- Goths
- Celts
- Norsemen
- Mongols
- Edo Japanese

But in each case, the first territory on the list is the best TSL afaik, so it is safe to ignore this list.

One more note: The Olmecs only have Yucatan, so with multiple starting positions in the Americas you may want to add some, unless you are fine with them getting the fallback culture. I suggest Guatemala (45) and Mexicum (41).
thanks, I'll try to include it next with the option to switch.

The noCapitalTerritory list is common, I'll include Edo Japanese.

For the first era Cultures, you can still use a large list, that will prevent too many AIs to use the backup culture if the "automatic outpost" option is not used.

and... hotfix !

Code:
- lower the life span of spawned minors and rebels faction on Empire split
- bug fix: better check if a key exists before trying to get its value...
- bug fix: prevent minor factions without cities to spawn a major Empire

Last edited:
hotfix 2
Code:
- bug fix: don't add the Major Empire replacing the evolving Empire into the minor faction list
- bug fix: don't try to create multiple minor factions for the same faction definition
- bug fix: set faction icon to the new major Empire replacing the evolving Empire
- add 25 patronage to spawned peaceful minor factions (placeholder until Stability integration)

Another example to illustrate how Empires are expected to split now (okay, after 2 hotfixes to make it works correctly :o)

Initial situation

Spoiler Apogee of the Carthaginian Empire :
upload_2021-11-6_14-51-9.png

(yes there must have been a bug when the Aksumites had lost Nigritania to the Nubian rebels, something didn't register at this layer)

upload_2021-11-6_15-4-35.png

2 possibilities

upload_2021-11-6_14-53-25.png

Spoiler 1/ Adopt the Franks :
upload_2021-11-6_14-58-26.png

• Keep only Neustria, new Capital of the Frank Empire
  • Creation of a new Major Empire taking over the old Carthaginian territory from the territory list (should be from the large one in all cases IMO)
  • Creation of 3 minor factions
    • Malinke taking over the city in Guinea (losing Mauretania, detached) and Malia territory from the minor faction territory list.
    • Cantabri taking over the city in Aragonia (and attached Castella) from the minor faction territory list.
    • Carthaginian rebels taking over everything that couldn't be given to a fitting faction, including the city in Nigritania
Spoiler 2/ Adopt the Ghanaians :
upload_2021-11-6_15-9-6.png

• Keep Mauretania, Malia, Sahara, Nigritania, there was only one available city, so it is set as the new Capital
  • Creation of a new Major Empire taking over the old Carthaginian territory
  • 4 minor factions created
    • Malinke taking over the city in Guinea and nothing else this time
    • Cantabri taking over the city in Aragonia (and attached Castella)
    • Breton taking over the City in Neustria
    • Carthaginian rebels taking over only Libya as everything else was given to fitting factions

This is great! I love the location-appropriate minor factions too, that's very nice.

To me, this does suggest that the "large" list should in fact be the max expansion list, so that the old empire is able to keep all historically owned territories that are not taken over by newer empires.

You could also consider giving territory of the old empire away to minor factions though - to represent the old empire going in decline and falling apart. E.g. Morocco could have gone to the Berbers.

Are the independent factions era-specific? I'm asking because the Cantabri are Classical, while the Bretons are Medieval - which in this case would be just right. Though the Medieval Visigoths would perhaps be even more appropriate, instead of the Cantabri.

In the final picture, the territory with Utica is labelled "Aksumites" btw, while the blue territory as a whole is labelled "Ghanaians". Is that a glitch?

You could also consider giving territory of the old empire away to minor factions though - to represent the old empire going in decline and falling apart. E.g. Morocco could have gone to the Berbers.
that's something I ponder, an "elimination race" option, as it would also allow to replenish the "reserved Empire pool" for later eras.

Last empire(s) to reach an Era could fall, and its/their territory would be split between minor factions.

Are the independent factions era-specific? I'm asking because the Cantabri are Classical, while the Bretons are Medieval - which in this case would be just right. Though the Medieval Visigoths would perhaps be even more appropriate, instead of the Cantabri.
Yep, their Era should be >= to the old empire Era (so Classical for the Carthaginians example), and <= to the global game Era (so Medieval at this moment in my game)

thanks to your question I've added a check for when the Old Empire was far away from everyone else and already above the average era, in that case it will use the global era as reference.

In the final picture, the territory with Utica is labelled "Aksumites" btw, while the blue territory as a whole is labelled "Ghanaians". Is that a glitch?
yes, so I've hidden the note about it in the first spoiler so that no-one could think there are bugs in my mod.

Discovered something odd, would be interested to see whether others have experienced the same issue, but AOM's personas mod does not seem compatible when I load up TCL with extra slots reserved. Although I had 15 personas, the BepInEx ones did not seem to be counted toward that threshold, and the game came up with an error upon starting the game. When I removed the plugin and the personas, it seemed to load up to the number of preset personas. Not sure what is happening there.

Second, had an endless turn issue when the Assyrians split off from the Goths. Included the past few autosaves plus the diagnostics. I am running FoxFox's OarlyBoats.

Attachments

• Endless Turn.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
Discovered something odd, would be interested to see whether others have experienced the same issue, but AOM's personas mod does not seem compatible when I load up TCL with extra slots reserved. Although I had 15 personas, the BepInEx ones did not seem to be counted toward that threshold, and the game came up with an error upon starting the game. When I removed the plugin and the personas, it seemed to load up to the number of preset personas. Not sure what is happening there.

Second, had an endless turn issue when the Assyrians split off from the Goths. Included the past few autosaves plus the diagnostics. I am running FoxFox's OarlyBoats.
latest alpha ?

No ideas for the personas, I've not changed anything related to them, the mod just add more slots (without initializing them, the game seemed to do that fine for empty slots)

The lock seems to occurs when checking territories to spawn minor faction (not from the split, but from "normal" minor faction spawn, in the mod's patched method to check the territory list)

and I can't load the save even with the mod installed and activated, sorry (because of the mod update ? that will be an issue if they update automatically...)

Thanks for looking into it! Yes, save is from the latest alpha.

I brought up the personas out of interest, as I'm not even sure that issue is actionable/reproducible at this point.

Not sure why the save won't load. I'm playing on Mac, for what that's worth. Also, just checked and looks like there's an update out for the mod, but I believe the save is using version 1.01.

That said, I'll take out the mod for the next few play-throughs and see if I can catalog any issues with just GEM, TCL, Improved AI, and AOM's More Religious Tenets (that's probably the plugin I forgot to mention, sorry!).

New alpha, almost ready for release...

Code:
- update District graphics for new Minor Faction created on Empire split
- update District graphics for new Major Empire spawned from a Minor Faction
- if a rebel faction is created with a city, try to split that faction into multiple rebels faction for each city, and another one for the remaining territories without cities (not tested)
- balance: change the formulas and use individual factors for refund (lower production, influence, gold, raise science)
- bug fix : finally confirmed and found where the research stock was clamped between turn (in EndTurnPass_ClampResearchStock, who could have guessed !) and patched it
- bug fix : do not upgrade a Minor Faction without city to a major Empire
- bug fix : an advanced Major Empire split should not prevent Minor Factions from the global Era to spawn (when that Major Empire Era is already above the global Era before the split)

Still a few bugs needing fixing, like when a city is occupied during a transition, and what happens to trade routes ?

Ok, I think I've reached the limit for that game, can't pass more than 1 turn before needing to quit the program, re-launch, re-load, and do it again next turn, F5-F9 can't fix the hanging turn anymore.

I'm not sure I'll take the time to analyse the logs for this last session...
Spoiler :
upload_2021-11-9_17-4-35.png

But it was interesting, lots of bugs fixed in the process, I'm afraid there are still a lot to fix, Empire spawned mid-game did not settle more territories for example (but were able to conquer/assimilate), those will wait for the next version.

I've done a slot4 (Phoenicians) start, then Carthaginians, Franks, Dutch, Mexicans, and finally Australians, trying to loss as much territories as possible with each transition to test the mod with as many Empires as possible.
Spoiler 21 major Empires :
Clipboard-38.jpg

Spoiler Northern Empires :
Clipboard-36.jpg

Spoiler Southern Empires :
Clipboard-37.jpg

A quick summary:

As Phoenicia then Carthage I settled west Africa, Spain and the North of France. When I evolved into the Franks, the result of the split created:
  • the old Carthaginians, that survived with there original territory
  • the Ghanaians (from a minor rebel faction)
  • the Celts (from a minor faction) -> Spanish
As Franks, I also settled England and Scandinavia, when I evolved into the Dutch the result was
  • the old Franks -> French
  • another Norse empire (from a minor faction), there was already one spawned from a normal minor faction.
  • the English (from a minor faction) -> British
As Dutch, I settled in Russia, SE Asia and North America. The Aztec and Olmecs Empire were there, spawned from minor factions, but they didn't settled more territories. I conquered the Aztec and evolved into the Mexicans there, with the following result:
  • the old Dutch, keeping some of the SE Asian territories and the Antillean islands
  • a minor Russian Empire with one city in Moscovia and territories up to the Urals, and a minor Dutch rebels faction keeping another City in Russian territories. Both were conquered by their Norse neighbor, which became the Soviets later, the minor Russian created a new city in the remaining territories, but were later conquered by the... Babylonians, who were able to expand after the collapse of the mighty Aksumite Empire when they became the Zulus (they'd have won by Fame if the game could finish)
  • a minor Haudenosaunee which evolved into a Major Empire later
  • a few rebels factions that were either conquered or forgotten
As Mexicans, I settled in South America, near my Olmecs friends and expanded in Australia before the last evolution, which did not created any other major Empires than the old Mexicans, maybe because i didn't leave a city in Brazil.

So, did you notice that the "new" spawned Empires did not settle more lands, or was that the result of a kind of corrupted save at the beginning of my game ?

And seing the end result, I won't try to push more than 16 players in game for now. That may not be enough for a full game, I'll try to think of the "elimination" option implementation.

Adding the small list is also my priority after i release the next version. soon(tm)

last changelog
Code:
- clean unused name spaces
- bug fix: check if a territory exists in a region before detaching it (should not happen, add warning in logs)
- bug fix: check if main district exist in a settlement before calling it
- bug fix: remove trade routes ending in a city before changing its owner (should prevent them to stay locked in "suspended" state)
- bug fix: should use correct life span for rebels with cities
- bug fix: occupied city territories can not unlock a Culture
- bug fix: occupied cities doesn't change ownership on evolution
- balance: the first era backup Culture unlock (25 knowledge stars) is now modified with the game speed multiplier
- balance: minor can spawn major Empire after 1/4 of their lifespan

Spoiler Northern Empires :

Spoiler Southern Empires :

Thanks for sharing!

I am curious based on map coverage in your game. Last few times I've played, the Americas usually get settled, especially if there are independent peoples there, though that can happen later; however, I have not yet seen Slot 3 fail to settle South/Southeast Asia and usually Australia. Is that normally what happens in your games too?

And congrats on the release!

I am curious based on map coverage in your game. Last few times I've played, the Americas usually get settled, especially if there are independent peoples there, though that can happen later; however, I have not yet seen Slot 3 fail to settle South/Southeast Asia and usually Australia. Is that normally what happens in your games too?
That's why I was asking if you guys had "passive" Empires in your games. Could be linked to using more player slots maybe. I've started a new game with 15 slots this time, I'll see. (edit: usually I restart sooner to test with a "trusted" save)

got a Turn Pending freeze when phoenicians jumped era and got split, but i got to say i enjoyed it hugely while it lasted... amazing work as always, G!

Code:
22:31:04:522None

[Gedemon] in ApplyFactionChangePost.

22:31:04:523None

[Gedemon] City Byblos : update Administrative District visual in territory 188.

[Gedemon] City Byblos : update Administrative District visual in territory 190.

[Gedemon] EmpireSymbolDefinition_Era2_Carthage Era2_Carthage == Civilization_Era2_Carthage Era2_Carthage

22:31:04:625None

[Preview] Set PresentationUnit UnitVisualAffinity_Common_Era2_Asian #8260 visual status as Hidden (previous visual status: Standard)

22:31:04:625None

UpdatePawnsCountWhenNotMoving called while pawnsToCreate is zero! Nothing to do!

22:31:04:657None

UpdatePawnsCountWhenNotMoving called while pawnsToCreate is zero! Nothing to do!

22:31:04:682None

AI Synchronization took 59,5878ms at frame 7194 (entities created: 0 deleted: 0 synchronized: 0 last entity synchronized: 0 snapshots: 'synchronized').

22:31:04:839None

Metadata 'rmc0' has no policy registered; assuming None.

22:31:04:839None

Metadata 'IsEditingScenario' has no policy registered; assuming None.

22:31:05:342None

%ControlBannerReligionPopupReformationDescription Trying to get a parameter 0 out of bound 0.

22:31:05:343None

%NextTenetTitle Trying to get a parameter 0 out of bound 0.

22:31:07:701None

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

22:31:07:702None

Exception caught in sandbox state 'SandboxState_TurnBegin'.

Top Bottom