[Mod] True Culture Location and Territory Naming for the Giant Earth Map

No idea what caused the shift to the west (well, I do: civ6 WB screenshot to HK image importer I suppose), but I can't correct as I did the shift to the south, because the Eurasia/Africa don't have it.

Interesting - looks like it's a pretty big shift in some places (like Buenos Aires) - probably a good thing that we're taking a look at it! Is it just the Americas that are having this problem then?

it starts in Asia I think

Spoiler :
upload_2022-3-22_20-7-39.png

upload_2022-3-22_20-7-54.png

Spoiler :
upload_2022-3-22_20-8-31.png

upload_2022-3-22_20-8-51.png

Spoiler :
upload_2022-3-22_20-9-24.png

upload_2022-3-22_20-9-32.png

upload_2022-3-22_20-11-21.png

for the next one, we also redraw the islands with the territories IIRC
Spoiler :
upload_2022-3-22_20-10-15.png

I suppose I could easily do a massive x=x+1 where x > 107 for example to correct a bit the Americas without causing a rift in the middle of Asia.

but we also don't need precision at the tile level, more at the territory level (ie being in the correct side for territories border names)

Last edited:
I think that shifting the Americas 1 tile to the right might help the issue, but it also looks like it'll need tweaking regardless, which I'm happy to help with!

Relatedly, I've finished reviewing the South American and Caribbean (and a bit of Central America) names, and attached here the xml for both the locations and the new localization. Let me know if it looks correct - I tried to reuse existing LOC names where possible, but I may have missed a few so you may have some duplicate LOC codes potentially.

With the new names, I've got some suggestions on some geographical tweaks for the map if/when you want to include them:
Spoiler Map! :

HKYNAMPSA.png

A quick summary:
  • Shortening/moving the Magdalena River
  • Moving split in the Tocantins River
  • Adjusting splits of the Paraná, Paraguay, and Uruguay Rivers
  • Adjusted region boundaries to better match provincial/national borders - new borders marked in solid yellow lines (Ecuador was split before, so I've moved fully to Colombia)
Two parts that may require more thought: La Plata loses a good chunk of land - the tile marked with a question mark is associated with the city of Araguaiana (a Brazilian city), which is the largest city in that area, but we could swap it for Artigas (Uruguay), Curuzú Cuatiá, or Mercedes (Argentina), to push the border back a bit. Similarly, Venezuela loses a bit of land to Colombia along the Meta River, which makes it's southern portion a bit spindly - I could probably find a Venezuelan city to swap out in the easternmost swapped tile though if the shape was undesirable.

Lastly, if you're up for terrain changes: 162, 43 could get another island for the Caribbean, I've chosen to have it represent Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. 159, 26 is currently a mountain, but could be flattened for Trinidad, Bolivia. (Trinidad-themed changes, I guess!)

Attachments

• HKYNAMPSouthAmerica.xml
    47.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thanks!

Also added the proposed changes in the "todo" for the map. Will do the rivers and mountain, not sure about territory yet, as it will make other culture mods incompatible with the map (map ID is the territory map hash). Islands close to the coast are also an AI issue (can't be in the same territory as land)

I'll try to shift positions in the city map file this WE.

Ah, didn't realized that would change the hash!

Well I guess the new island would require shifting the border of the Caribbean province, so I guess that's a maybe later thing for 2 reasons...

alpha for hotfix
Code:
bug fix: prevent error on lobby screen when reloading a MP game with more than 10 players

Attachments

• Gedemon.TrueCultureLocation.1.0.5.1alpha.zip
    78 KB · Views: 52
let me now if it works, so I can update (my PC and I are focused auto-playing/debugging the added features to Uchronia)

Would anyone want to give those orphans Independent People (from the African DLC) a list of territory indexes to spawn in ?
Code:
        <Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era2_Peaceful_Sirikwa"                Territories="0, "/>                                        <!--  territory names for reference (optional) -->
        <Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era2_Peaceful_Urewe"                Territories="0, "/>                                        <!--  territory names for reference (optional) -->
        <Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era3_Violent_Makurians"            Territories="0, "/>                                        <!--  territory names for reference (optional) -->
        <Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era3_Violent_Wolof"                Territories="0, "/>                                        <!--  territory names for reference (optional) -->
        <Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era4_Peaceful_Funj"                Territories="0, "/>                                        <!--  territory names for reference (optional) -->
        <Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era4_Peaceful_Himba"                Territories="0, "/>                                        <!--  territory names for reference (optional) -->
        <Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era4_Violent_Yoruba"                Territories="0, "/>                                        <!--  territory names for reference (optional) -->

<Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era2_Peaceful_Sirikwa"
<Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era2_Peaceful_Urewe"
Both in Kenia

<Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era3_Violent_Makurians"
Aegyptus, Sudania

<Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era3_Violent_Wolof"
Mauretania, Guinea (latter included tentatively due to border)

<Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era4_Peaceful_Funj"
Sudania

<Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era4_Peaceful_Himba"
Namibia

<Row Civilization="IndependentPeople_Era4_Violent_Yoruba"
Beninum

for the next one, we also redraw the islands with the territories IIRC

Took a look at the region and marked some proposed changes. I know we're trying not to change territory boundaries, but I included them here just for reference/completeness' sake. I've also marked the names of the new islands.

Spoiler Map! :
Polynesia.png

Hi Gedemon, I leaved two comments in the mod.io page but i'll post them here too. They are in regards to a bug with certain world shapes and the TLC in any map:
"Hi! for some reason, since last update the tlc for every map doesn't seems to be working on a Huge map, only large and bellow. Also, f3 doesn't show any name. Just a heads up! :)"
"
I've noticed that it happens when world shape is set to custom and/or when number of continents is random or set manually higher than 4. It works with 2-4 and 3-5 continent numbers, tho.

It only happens on huge, other sizes work fine as far as I've seen."​
I've seen in the Uchronia dev thread that it also had some issues with certain settings before creating a game, so maybe it's also happening in this mod.

Hi Gedemon, I leaved two comments in the mod.io page but i'll post them here too. They are in regards to a bug with certain world shapes and the TLC in any map:
"Hi! for some reason, since last update the tlc for every map doesn't seems to be working on a Huge map, only large and bellow. Also, f3 doesn't show any name. Just a heads up! :)"
"
I've noticed that it happens when world shape is set to custom and/or when number of continents is random or set manually higher than 4. It works with 2-4 and 3-5 continent numbers, tho.

It only happens on huge, other sizes work fine as far as I've seen."​
I've seen in the Uchronia dev thread that it also had some issues with certain settings before creating a game, so maybe it's also happening in this mod.
I'd be curious to see the diagnostic logs after starting a map that breaks TCL if possible (see first page for getting them)

And previous fix uploaded on mod.io
Code:
- bug fix: prevent error on lobby screen when reloading a MP game with more than 10 players

Hi Gedemon! I'm trying to remove the Assyrian Empire's ability to spawn anywhere, but removing all of the child nodes in Documents\Humankind\Community\Giant Earth Map\Giant Earth Map - Cultures Unlock.xml under both <NoCapital> and <NomadCultures> didn't seem to do the trick. I mentioned the Assyrian empire specifically, but I don't want any NoCapital or Nomad Cultures. Any ideas?

Yes, sorry the first entries are hardcoded (and the replacement is fully hardcoded), I'll see if I can move that without too much work to the XML so you can edit the base entries and the replacement table. No promise as I don't have a lot of free time ATM, and I also want to progress on the overhaul.

For reference <NomadCultures> is only used to tell the mod that a Culture should be able to change without a city on the unlocking territory (for the Huns and Mongols)

I just looked at the code and good news - should be an easy change.
The only places you're referencing the variables that hold those values are a List.Contains(...) and a foreach loop (only in the case of the nomad cultures), so if you get rid of those hardcoded values and just instantiate each of those lists as a List of Strings with no members, List.Contains(...) will return false and the loop will iterate zero times, AKA do nothing.

I haven't done any modding in humankind before, so I need to figure out how to build and debug the project, but if I beat you there, I'll throw a merge request up on github and assign it to you.

If it can help for building the project, the references:

Spoiler from BepInEx folder :
upload_2022-4-13_23-15-18.png

Spoiler Copied from the game's /Humankind_Data/Managed/ folder :
upload_2022-4-13_23-17-50.png

Spoiler Copied and Publicized from the game's /Humankind_Data/Managed/ folder :
upload_2022-4-13_23-18-50.png

Using this tool to publicize the Amplitude DLL's (you need to compile the plugin DLL with "Allow unsafe code" enabled):
https://github.com/CabbageCrow/AssemblyPublicizer

But I'd still need to add the code for setting the FirstEraBackup List from the XMLs for public release.

I've edited the OP to include the .json file adding TCL support on the Europe Plus map, and also edited the "How to" to provide small .XML examples.

I'm having an issue with the latest update, i can't create games with 16 payers because it shows and error. I have the logs diagnostic, could this be because of the update? Or do I have to check my files? I'll upload the logs and post them here. The other problem I had, the one with huge maps and the mod not working properly persist.

Last edited:
I've not tested the latest patch yet, I'll do it this WE.

Top Bottom