[MODCOMP] Mercenaries Mod

Is what normal?

Yes it's normal that you are confused :p.
You still cant just load 2 mods at the same time, you have to manually join them together.

Woot! I just noticed this was released. Very cool!

Has this been tested with multiplayer? I ask because I had problems using selectUnit in multiplayer games (it would pull all the players focus to the unit instead of just the active player and occasionally cause CTD's and Out of Sync's). I pulled all my uses of selectUnit and I would be interested to hear if you found a way around this.

No it wasn't tested with multiplayer. I was unaware of that issue using the selectUnit. I only used it in three places in my mod, I just added checks for a so it won't be called if the game is multiplayer.

Very cool Amigo.. Been waiting and now downloaded and testing out!..

one Question though.... :D

How do you stop exploit of hiring out mercs and then if your enemy/you attack(s), unhiring them?..

Unless you have provisioned for non/un-hiring them to enemies at war?!

TheLopez said:
No it wasn't tested with multiplayer. I was unaware of that issue using the selectUnit. I only used it in three places in my mod, I just added checks for a so it won't be called if the game is multiplayer.

Cool, this is the only external mod that is in the design doc for Fall from Heaven phase 2. I LOVE the fact that you maintain all your own files so you can update and patch your parts and those can be easily integrated to the latest FfH versions.

I do have an enhancement request. The ability to set a leader attribute that controls how likely they are to hire mercenaries or sell their own units out as mercenaries.

I could help with the new schema for the extended attributes and probably provide some python functions that would allow you to query the attributes if you would like.

Kael said:
Cool, this is the only external mod that is in the design doc for Fall from Heaven phase 2. I LOVE the fact that you maintain all your own files so you can update and patch your parts and those can be easily integrated to the latest FfH versions.
Like I have previously mentioned, I kept mods like FfH in mind when designing the Mercenaries Mod.

Kael said:
I do have an enhancement request. The ability to set a leader attribute that controls how likely they are to hire mercenaries or sell their own units out as mercenaries.

I could help with the new schema for the extended attributes and probably provide some python functions that would allow you to query the attributes if you would like.
I would appreciate help in this area. I think it would greatly extend the flexibility of the mod.

Kael said:
Has this been tested with multiplayer? I ask because I had problems using selectUnit in multiplayer games (it would pull all the players focus to the unit instead of just the active player and occasionally cause CTD's and Out of Sync's). I pulled all my uses of selectUnit and I would be interested to hear if you found a way around this.
I have been looking into this and think I might have found a solution but are still testing this to make sure it actually works.

Wow, that is a great mod!! :goodjob:

One question though, you said:
TheLopez said:
- AI players can hire, fire and use mercenaries, you have been warned.
Does that mean you have successfully tested the AI, meaning: the AI civs can and actually do hire mercenaries without any intervention by the human player?

CellKu

CellKu said:
Wow, that is a great mod!! :goodjob:

One question though, you said:

Does that mean you have successfully tested the AI, meaning: the AI civs can and actually do hire mercenaries without any intervention by the human player?

CellKu

That is correct. Also, they will tend to hire more mercenaries when they need them, for instance when at war. I had the unfortunate experience of meeting up with about 5-7 level 8+ mercenaries from one AI player, that I was at war with, during my testing.

TheLopez said:
That is correct. Also, they will tend to hire more mercenaries when they need them, for instance when at war. I had the unfortunate experience of meeting up with about 5-7 level 8+ mercenaries from one AI player, that I was at war with, during my testing.
Wow, that is great news! :goodjob: Thanks a lot. I will download your mod immediately! :)

CellKu

[to_xp]Gekko said:
awesome. It's great to see this finally out.
and making it totally customizable is just pure genius :D

Thanks. I'm glad to see it out too. Taking that extra week helped me shake out some nasty bugs, *cough* unit upgrades *cough*.

I hope to see it integrated in "composite" mods soon :D. Now its on to fixing some of my other existing mod comps and developing my next innovative mod comp.

Darkhour said:
Very cool Amigo.. Been waiting and now downloaded and testing out!..

one Question though.... :D

How do you stop exploit of hiring out mercs and then if your enemy/you attack(s), unhiring them?..

Unless you have provisioned for non/un-hiring them to enemies at war?!

1. The Lopez.. I don't know whether or not you missed my above post or not??.. :rolleyes:

2. Also.. I've noticed, if it's normal that I can hire some mercs for free.. 0 gold and 0 gold upkeep and if you do not give them their initial promotion on arriving.. you have free units!!...

3. Also I've noticed that i hired out a warrior to someone.. i unhired him after a few turns and noticed that he had +10 S promotion with no experience.. others had none on hiring and unhiring.. exploit way of upgrading?!

Does the AI assign promotions according to mercs aswell?

4. Just a minor one I know with the buttons explanations etc.. but when hiring units out.. it tells you how long till the AI recieves the unit but when you hire out mercs yourself it doesn't..

Hope i can be of some help... cheers

Darkhour said:
1. The Lopez.. I don't know whether or not you missed my above post or not??.. :rolleyes:
Yep, missed your post above. but here's the answer.
Darkhour said:
There is nothing to stop you. Unless you need the money you are getting from them to support your own hired mercenaries.

Darkhour said:
2. Also.. I've noticed, if it's normal that I can hire some mercs for free.. 0 gold and 0 gold upkeep and if you do not give them their initial promotion on arriving.. you have free units!!...
Darn, you found one of the only little bugs ... mean features. Actually, I had noticed that. Not every single mercenary can be experienced. Think of these as rookie mercenaries...

Darkhour said:
3. Also I've noticed that i hired out a warrior to someone.. i unhired him after a few turns and noticed that he had +10 S promotion with no experience.. others had none on hiring and unhiring..

Does the AI assign promotions according to mercs aswell?
Yes, the AI will assign promotions, but are you saying that your unit came back with 10 promotions but no experience or levels? Can you please post a screenshot of this?

Darkhour said:
4. Just a minor one I know with the buttons explanations etc.. but when hiring units out.. it tells you how long till the AI recieves the unit but when you hire out mercs yourself it doesn't..
Minor oversight on my part...

Darkhour said:
3. Also I've noticed that i hired out a warrior to someone.. i unhired him after a few turns and noticed that he had +10 S promotion with no experience.. others had none on hiring and unhiring.. exploit way of upgrading?!

Nevermind about posting a screenshot, I have been able to replicate the issue.

Thanks for the mention! Once again I apologize for not being able to test for you during the 2nd phase, before release. I'm glad to see it went well though :)
Darn, you found one of the only little bugs ... mean features. Actually, I had noticed that. Not every single mercenary can be experienced. Think of these as rookie mercenaries...

Not looking at your code, I'll offer a suggestion: why not make a check if a unit has no experience, to either a) add 1 experience, or b) add 1 gold upkeep cost.

This way, it's not free, because "nothing is free."

Darkhour said:
3. Also I've noticed that i hired out a warrior to someone.. i unhired him after a few turns and noticed that he had +10 S promotion with no experience.. others had none on hiring and unhiring...
Alright, I have tracked down the bug and fixed it. Boy it was a wierd bug. Basically when setting the experience level for units you need to do:
Code:
unit.setExperience(newValue, maxLevelXp)

but as you noticed, it didn't work. Instead this works
Code:
unit.setExperience(newValue, newValue)

Now since I need to release a new version I am going to take some time and fix a couple of things and add some things people have requested. The new version should be out by Saturday or Sunday. :D

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's not.

TheLopez said:
Now since I need to release a new version I am going to take some time and fix a couple of things and add some things people have requested. The new version should be out by Saturday or Sunday. :D

Sweet.. glad to be of service.. I'll take a longer look at it again... I was wondering if you can deny hiring of mercs to AI (At War)? That would solve any issues with the above..

also there was an issue .. cant remember off the top but with negative gold and losing mercs... will try again..

Top Bottom