[MODCOMP] Mercenaries Mod

Some observations I noticed when i tried it:

- The prices are way too expensive to be used.

- I bought a cossack with promotions combat 1->4 for 37gold/turn.
I had it for ~15 turns, gave it more promotions; combat5, march and medic1. (= got about 20xp more) and now the upkeep is 57gold/turn.

Shouldn't it be maximum of 37gold/turn, or even less since I've trained it more?

slaya said:
Some observations I noticed when i tried it:

- The prices are way too expensive to be used.
Try playing with the configuration values in the "Mercenaries Mod Config.ini" file. You can tweak the hiring and maintainence costs in there.

slaya said:
- I bought a cossack with promotions combat 1->4 for 37gold/turn.
I had it for ~15 turns, gave it more promotions; combat5, march and medic1. (= got about 20xp more) and now the upkeep is 57gold/turn.

Shouldn't it be maximum of 37gold/turn, or even less since I've trained it more?

No, the more experienced a mercenary is the more money it costs you to keep and maintain them.

hi
i download your mode but im not knowing how to buy a mercenary?? or am i missing something.... , can u help me please.

Basically, you need to have a city and some gold to buy a mercenary. You can either press on the 'Axe' button in the upper left hand corner of the main interface or press the 'm' key to bring up the mercenary manager screen. You will only be able to hire mercenaries if you have enough gold.

tanks for the replay but i still cant hire because im not seeing any button to conclude the transation, In my mercenary manager i only see MERCENARIES MERCENARIES CONTRACT and EXIT. I pic a unit but cant do nothing.
Shall i download the other versions once i only download the special version....

Portus said:
tanks for the replay but i still cant hire because im not seeing any button to conclude the transation, In my mercenary manager i only see MERCENARIES MERCENARIES CONTRACT and EXIT. I pic a unit but cant do nothing.
Shall i download the other versions once i only download the special version....
By default the mercenary mod is configured to delay the arrival of hired mercenaries by 3 turns. When you press the "Hire Mercenary" button it will disappear and your mercenary will arrive to your civ 3 turns later. You can change all of this through the INI configuration file if you want.

It should be there if you view the mercenary information after you hire one. Is it not?

TheLopez said:
Try playing with the configuration values in the "Mercenaries Mod Config.ini" file. You can tweak the hiring and maintainence costs in there.

No, the more experienced a mercenary is the more money it costs you to keep and maintain them.

It's pretty logical to pay more for a experienced unit ofcourse, just the way it is, but imo if i train "borrowed" units and train them myself, I shouldn't pay any more money than when i bought it.

So are you saying that if a mercenary you hired is enough experience to gain a promotion should pick it themselves?

ok, the problem is, the hire buttom in "avaiable mercenaries" is not visible, but if i clik in the all right side of the unit i want contrat, its ok he appears in the "hired mercenaries" window. Now it works, that was a mistery. lol

Shouldn't the hired units appear in the capital? I keep having them appear in this random island city way away from the rest of my nation. Quite annoying, since I have to convoy them to the battlefront.

Also, going to have to say that the prices are pretty extreme. I'm going to reduce the cost factor a lot, now that I know its possible.

Keep up the amazing work! Thanks a ton for all the great mods!

Aeon221,

You can change where mercenaries appear through the INI file. There are three static options and one dynamic option: Civilization Edge, Capital City, Random. The dynamic option allows you to specify a list of buildings that cities must have for mercenaries to appear. The more buildings a city has in the list the bigger the chance mercenaries will appear in that city. If no city has one of those buildings then mercenaries will appear randomly in one of your cities.

There is another option to require that cities have at least one of those buildings for a player to hire mercenaries. If that option is on then mercenaries will only appear in a city with one or more of those buildings.

I noticed a few units have one more level than amount of promotions. Have not seen the other way around.

Any progress on new version?

Can you give me any examples of this happening?

I am not currently working on a new version of the merc mod right now. I am trying to finish up the sniper mod, which is coming out better than I could have hoped for :D.

Zuul ... ummm... its March, shouldn't you update your sig? :)

Sig updated.

Well a lev 17 unit had 16 promotions and a lev 11 had 11.
Maybe add a base start/maintain cost.

hmmm.... wierd. I would have to see what promos they both had to tell you exactly what happened.

I have some rationale for paying a higher upkeep cost for a hired mercenary that has gained experience while under your employment:

As far as I know, a mercenary has no loyalty to anyone except to himself, and will go wherever he can get the most money. Thus, the better (more experienced) a mercenary becomes, the more valuable he becomes as well. He is now worth more, and if you want to keep him providing you his services, then you'de better pay him his worth at market value: or else someone else will 'buy' him instead!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I implemented the mod. Thank you for stating it so clearly.

I finally got to play with this mod on a hotseat game with two friends and it rocked. I also managed to mix this into my current mod project and it works great, all the ini options adds a lot of versitility to it, but maybe some of the explanations of what the options do could be a little plainer for those of us that aren't that quick with if true this and when false that.. might not have been the Merc Mod peticularly, but after looking through the different ini files, it seems the explanations are a little code helpfileish. Just my two sense. Can't wait for the sniper mod :>

Top Bottom