Modding the aspects of "Game Speed"

King Jason

Fleece-bearer
Have you played Civ4 and come to the conclusion that it's too fast? (My first recomendation is Noble difficulty if you've been on any lower) You go through the ages like lightning, you build an army to attack, only to have it obsolete by the time it's ready?

Have you tried the epic speed? did it just... well... suck? Well, if you want the technology to be learned slower (like in an epic game) but not to be crippled by increased production rates, improvement rates, and well, every other rate there is, then you can edit in any specific style you want using the XML (if you usually leave once XML is brought up, please, continue reading). It's pretty easy too.

This has been edited for simplicity

To get to the 'GameSpeedInfo' XML, you're looking to go here:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\GameInfo

you can open it with any basic word program, I just used the wordpad. When you open that up it shows you this:

<Type>GAMESPEED_EPIC</Type>
<Type>GAMESPEED_NORMAL</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NORMAL</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NORMAL_HELP</Help>
<iGrowthPercent>100</iGrowthPercent>
<iTrainPercent>100</iTrainPercent>
<iConstructPercent>100</iConstructPercent>
<iCreatePercent>100</iCreatePercent>
<iResearchPercent>100</iResearchPercent>
<iBuildPercent>100</iBuildPercent>
<iImprovementPercent>100</iImprovementPercent>
<iGreatPeoplePercent>100</iGreatPeoplePercent>
<iCulturePercent>100</iCulturePercent>
<iAnarchyPercent>100</iAnarchyPercent>
<iBarbPercent>100</iBarbPercent>
<iFeatureProductionPercent>100</iFeatureProductionPercent>
<iUnitDiscoverPercent>100</iUnitDiscoverPercent>
<iUnitHurryPercent>100</iUnitHurryPercent>
<iUnitTradePercent>100</iUnitTradePercent>
<iUnitGreatWorkPercent>100</iUnitGreatWorkPercent>
<iGoldenAgePercent>100</iGoldenAgePercent>
<iHurryPercent>100</iHurryPercent>
<iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>100</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>
<iInflationPercent>27</iInflationPercent>
<iInflationOffset>-100</iInflationOffset>

Okay, it looks a little confusing but it's really simple. First, you have each line that represents a different value in the game that has a speed. From unit creation, to tech research speed. the number in between which would be <iInflationOffset>right here</iInflationOffset> is what you edit. If you look at the speed type at the top of each new section it'll tell you which speed you're modding if you aren't creating your own (see below on the creating a brand new speed). You have Epic, normal and fast.

the Normal values are mostly set at 100, the epic are 150, the fast are 67.

So it's obvious to say that if you want something slower, than increase the number that you're editing, if you want something faster, then decrease it.

So, the above is the normal game speed setting, I'm going to show you an edit where the game would have really slow research rate, but really fast improvement speed. Just so you can get an visual referance of what's being changed, and what isn't.

<GameSpeedInfo>
<iResearchPercent>200</iResearchPercent>
<iImprovementPercent>50</iImprovementPercent>

and it's that simple. Now, the biggest question on everyone's mine is, "what does it all mean king!?". Well, here is 'the list'. It displays all the effects these values have on the game, there are a few blank spots in which I mean to fill, but for now;

The List

<iGrowthPercent></iGrowthPercent> This is the growth rate for cities, how soon you get yer next pop.
<iTrainPercent></iTrainPercent> The speed in which units are constructed (both settlers and all)
<iConstructPercent></iConstructPercent> The speed in which buildings are constructed.
<iCreatePercent></iCreatePercent> The speed at which special Projects are completed (Internet, Apollo, Spaceship, etc)
<iResearchPercent></iResearchPercent> The speed in which technology is learned.
<iBuildPercent></iBuildPercent> The speed in which tile improvements are built.
<iImprovementPercent></iImprovementPercent>The speed in which a Tile Improvement to upgrade to next level (Cottage -> Hamlet for example)
<iGreatPeoplePercent></iGreatPeoplePercent> The speed in which great people spawn in a city.
<iCulturePercent></iCulturePercent> The speed in which your borders expand.
<iAnarchyPercent></iAnarchyPercent> currently not sure, assuming how many turns anarchy lasts, due to that assumption, have yet to test.
<iBarbPercent></iBarbPercent> The speed in which barbarians apear in game and how frequently.
<iFeatureProductionPercent></iFeatureProductionPercent> Modifies the number of hammers delivered to a town when a nearby forest or jungle is cleared (possible other effects as well).
<iUnitDiscoverPercent></iUnitDiscoverPercent> The amount of knowledge put into a tech. when a Great person uses the "discover tech." ability.
<iUnitHurryPercent></iUnitHurryPercent> The rate at which a unit is rushed (by gold and pop.)
<iUnitTradePercent></iUnitTradePercent> The amount of gold you recieve for the Great merchants trade ability.
<iUnitGreatWorkPercent></iUnitGreatWorkPercent> The amount of culture granted in using a greatwork.
<iGoldenAgePercent></iGoldenAgePercent> How long a golden age lasts.
<iHurryPercent></iHurryPercent> The rate at which buildings can be rushed (by gold and pop.)
<iHurryConscriptAngerPercent></iHurryConscriptAngerPercent> How long the unhapiness of pop. rushing and drafting lasts.
<iInflationPercent></iInflationPercent> The rate at which upkeep increases.
<iInflationOffset></iInflationOffset> How long before upkeep increases.

That's all I have so far, only a few spaces, but spaces nonetheless. I'm going to continue testing until it's all figured out, but so far the <iBuildPercent></iBuildPercent> really seems to do nothing. but of course that isn't the case. I'll edit this list further and post when I do so.

All of these follow the same rules. the higher the number, the longer it takes. The lower, the faster.

Also you can see if you look past these specific values, something that looks like this:

<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>40</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>50</iTurnsPerIncrement>

Modifying these numbers will allow you to (if you're interested) try to find a right pace in which the timeline of the game will follow, for example, I didn't select to bother with this option, and I had a game where I was in the 1700s just learning how to build Knights!

the first number (<iYearIncrement>40</iYearIncrement>) is how many years go by in the timeline. So your first turn would bring you from 4000 B.C. to 3960 B.C.

The second number (<iTurnsPerIncrement>50) is how many turns the above increments lasts, so for the first 50 turns, you'll be moving at 40 years per turn. technically, you could govern the entire timeline of the game with just one of these scripts.

So, good luck, and those that do this - let me know how you make out. :king:

Edit: once you familiarize yourself with simple things such as game length, and colors (like that thread on color changing explains) it opens the doorway to much more interesting possibilities with the XML, and in most cases, it's just like this; as simple as typing in a few numbers.

Excellent post King Jason.

This is a good example of the very powerful and relatively simple moddability of CIV4.

A suggestion though - wouldn't it be much simpler to change the single <iResearchPercent> element to 150 for the normal game, if what you want is a normal game with the epic's research rate? :)

Yup! but I didn't want to do that myself personally, because I plan on leaving the normal speed the way it is. But yeah, I just posted the long version of how to do just that.

I still wanted to show the comparison between epic and normal, and how all that text isn't as daunting as it looks.

I also think I said somewhere in there that it was one big process of switching a number, but either way, I'm too tired to think, want to sleep... but.. just.. one.. more.. turn.. :king:

I've also found that a 200 research rate makes for a better game by the way, for anyone who plans on doing this to make a slow game.

You can made a 4th game speed if you like just cpoy this:
<GameSpeedInfo>
<iResearchPercent>100</iResearchPercent>
<GameTurnInfos>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>40</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>75</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>25</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>60</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>20</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>25</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>10</iYearIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>5</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>70</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>2</iYearIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfos>
</GameSpeedInfo>
Then paste it between epic speed and normal speed </GamespeedInfo> text and rename the speed. Change all three lines at top from " GAMESPEED_Normal" to "GAMESPEED_SemiNormal" or any other name like "Smidlee Speed". :)
Now you got four different speeds to choose from. this way you still got the three normal speed and your own personal one.

Very cool guys.

That is exactly what I want; slow research but faster unit production.

I like staying in the early era longer, but slowing everything down doesn't have quite the efect I am looking for.

Okay wait... so lets say you want a really slow game...
keep everything at 150...
research at 200
what about inflationpercent? not 27 then how much higher?

and like you said with the knights in the 1700 ... at 200 research what incremtents would you suggest?

And to play close to a 'civ 3' speed would you recommend research 150 or 200?

I can only recommend to grasp the full modability of Civ4 right from the beginning... so don't edit the original files located in civ4/assets, but rather create your own mod unter the Civ4customMods folder, copy ONLY those .XML files there you wish to edit (with the appropriate directory structure of course) and edit them there.
So remember, play safe and ONLY edit the xml files within a custom mod, otherwise it will lead to a disaster after a while.

Nice find! I need something like this, I love a slower paced game.

"Ooops, I should replace my archers with tanks." I hate that!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I see a couple of problems with slowing down the research without altering the year increments. It would basically slow down your research to a level that would eliminate the spaceship game. If youre only discovering computers by 2040....see what I mean?

If you change the ResearchPercent to 200, shouldnt you as well change the YearIncrement and TurnsPerIncrement? Example, change the first era from 50 turns at 40 years to 100 turns at 20 years, and so on. That way, the timeline stays relative (since the game doesnt really see things in 'years', but rather in 'turns'. The Years are just for us to have something to compare to....and to plan forward to 2050)

I hope I made sense....I'm at work and trying to divide my brain between designing and Civ-ing. ;)

kevchod said:
Nice find! I need something like this, I love a slower paced game.

"Ooops, I should replace my archers with tanks." I hate that!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I see a couple of problems with slowing down the research without altering the year increments. It would basically slow down your research to a level that would eliminate the spaceship game. If youre only discovering computers by 2040....see what I mean?

If you change the ResearchPercent to 200, shouldnt you as well change the YearIncrement and TurnsPerIncrement? Example, change the first era from 50 turns at 40 years to 100 turns at 20 years, and so on. That way, the timeline stays relative (since the game doesnt really see things in 'years', but rather in 'turns'. The Years are just for us to have something to compare to....and to plan forward to 2050)

I hope I made sense....I'm at work and trying to divide my brain between designing and Civ-ing. ;)

I agree with you 100%, although I know nothing about modding so can someone hook it up?? Please??

What exactly does inflationpercent affect, and why did you increase it from 18 to 27?

Slbot911 said:
I agree with you 100%, although I know nothing about modding so can someone hook it up?? Please??

I dont either. But read the first couple of posts, that explains everything.

I'm going to try this when I get home. Jack research up to 200, and adjust the years/turns to this:

20yrs/100turns = 2000 years
15/66 = 990
10/140 = 1400
5/120 =600
3/220 = 660
1/200 = 200
1/200 = 200

Original settings have 6050 years at 650 turns. The way I have it above, its 6050 years at 1046 turns. It may need adjusting to allow more turns. (Ideally if youre doubling research to 200, then there should be ~1300 turns)

kevchod said:
I dont either. But read the first couple of posts, that explains everything.

I'm going to try this when I get home. Jack research up to 200, and adjust the years/turns to this:

20yrs/100turns = 2000 years
15/66 = 990
10/140 = 1400
5/120 =600
3/220 = 660
1/200 = 200
1/200 = 200

Original settings have 6050 years at 650 turns. The way I have it above, its 6050 years at 1046 turns. It may need adjusting to allow more turns. (Ideally if youre doubling research to 200, then there should be ~1300 turns)

sooooo
like this?
<GameSpeedInfo>
<Type>GAMESPEED_NEW_EPIC</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NEW_EPIC</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NEW_EPIC_HELP</Help>
<iGrowthPercent>150</iGrowthPercent>
<iTrainPercent>150</iTrainPercent>
<iConstructPercent>150</iConstructPercent>
<iCreatePercent>150</iCreatePercent>
<iResearchPercent>200</iResearchPercent>
<iBuildPercent>150</iBuildPercent>
<iImprovementPercent>150</iImprovementPercent>
<iGreatPeoplePercent>150</iGreatPeoplePercent>
<iCulturePercent>150</iCulturePercent>
<iAnarchyPercent>150</iAnarchyPercent>
<iBarbPercent>150</iBarbPercent>
<iFeatureProductionPercent>150</iFeatureProductionPercent>
<iUnitDiscoverPercent>150</iUnitDiscoverPercent>
<iUnitHurryPercent>150</iUnitHurryPercent>
<iUnitTradePercent>150</iUnitTradePercent>
<iUnitGreatWorkPercent>150</iUnitGreatWorkPercent>
<iGoldenAgePercent>125</iGoldenAgePercent>
<iHurryPercent>67</iHurryPercent>
<iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>150</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>
<iInflationPercent>18</iInflationPercent>
<iInflationOffset>-150</iInflationOffset>
<GameTurnInfos>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>20</iYearIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>15</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>66</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>140</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>120</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>3</iYearIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>220</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>400</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfos>

Dr_Laxative said:
sooooo
like this?

Pretty much...I dont know if the other values should be at 100 or 150....I'm guessing 150 because at 100 there might be too much military build up and not enough of an economic/military trade off.

Also, I'm not sure if the last age should be 1/400. I think it should be 1/200 and 1/200. Same thing, essentially. But the game might not recognize the age change to the final age if its at 1/400; you might not see the final epoch. Thats why I used 1/200 and 1/200.

EDIT: on second thoughts, does the game recognize age/epoch changes by your research and not by these years/turns groupings? If that is true then 1/400 would work.

I added this between the "<GameSpeedInfo>" --

>>>><Type>GAMESPEED_REALTIME</Type>
<Description>REALTIME</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_REALTIME_HELP</Help>
<iResearchPercent>150</iResearchPercent>
<GameTurnInfos>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>75</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>60</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>25</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iYearIncrement>2</iYearIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfos>
</GameSpeedInfo>
<<<<<,,,

The weirdest thing happened. My new game speed showed up in the custom game screen (cool) ,,and I started a game. Turns where 10 years per like I was trying to get. But after my first turn, Every civ in the games culture achieved legendary status? I got like 12 "an uknown civs culture has achieved legendary status" messages. Then the following turn Washingtons culture went through the roof. My borders expanded about 15 tiles , I got a bunch of gold and an explorer from goodie huts,, And my boarders covered most of a continent. ??? What the heck did I do? I changed the Year increments,, and I inserted 150 into the research percent to slow down research. Why the freakin culture bomb? I was tempted to play it out but that's quite an exploit:lol:

kevchod said:
EDIT: on second thoughts, does the game recognize age/epoch changes by your research and not by these years/turns groupings? If that is true then 1/400 would work.

Well from the small amount of programming I know there seems to be no indication of tieing it to actual epochs... I think it's just doing them 1 at a time time till there are none left basically. Like you said it's probabky tied to research.

ununcle said:
The weirdest thing happened. My new game speed showed up in the custom game screen (cool) ,,and I started a game. Turns where 10 years per like I was trying to get. But after my first turn, Every civ in the games culture achieved legendary status? I got like 12 "an uknown civs culture has achieved legendary status" messages. Then the following turn Washingtons culture went through the roof. My borders expanded about 15 tiles , I got a bunch of gold and an explorer from goodie huts,, And my boarders covered most of a continent. ??? What the heck did I do? I changed the Year increments,, and I inserted 150 into the research percent to slow down research. Why the freakin culture bomb? I was tempted to play it out but that's quite an exploit:lol:

Did you change anything else?

Dr_Laxative said:
Well from the small amount of programming I know there seems to be no indication of tieing it to actual epochs... I think it's just doing them 1 at a time time till there are none left basically. Like you said it's probabky tied to research.

the tech tree in the pre-order edition has 6 coloring groupings for all the techs, I think they represent the ages/eras and you move into that era when you research one of the techs in it.

Dr_Laxative said:
Did you change anything else?

Not that I'm aware of. I just tried another game using those settings and it did it again. This time I got a free settler unit. wow! I just created a cheat file g :rolleyes:
Good thing I backed up all my files. If I knew how to post a saved game I'd post it to show you guys, you'd freak. Want me to just post the XML file in it's entirety so you can see what legondary culture looks like? Just back up your original?

Stardog13 said:
the tech tree in the pre-order edition has 6 coloring groupings for all the techs, I think they represent the ages/eras and you move into that era when you research one of the techs in it.

That still doesn't make any sense...
Think about it.... why would there be a number defining how many turns the date will advance for 40 years if it's just gonna switch at the next epoch/era...
ie: <iYearIncrement>2</iYearIncrement>

Turns per increment would be useless if it's just gonna switch at the next era...

iYearincrement = how many years it skips...so if it's 2 the years would go ...1980...1982...1984...
ITurnsPerIncrement = for how many turns... so if it's 70.... that means for 70 turns the years will skip by 2....

Era/epoch would be programmed in there somehow ...like with an if statment saying for 40 or if era 2 has been reached...

ununcle said:
Not that I'm aware of. I just tried another game using those settings and it did it again. This time I got a free settler unit. wow! I just created a cheat file g :rolleyes:
Good thing I backed up all my files. If I knew how to post a saved game I'd post it to show you guys, you'd freak. Want me to just post the XML file in it's entirety so you can see what legondary culture looks like? Just back up your original?

Sure...I'll try it out when I get home

Top Bottom