Modern era too short for my taste

zekeand

Chieftain
Hi all. I had played Civ since 1994, I am a big fan of the series and learned a lot playing it.
I am pretty warmonger, specially en the late game. I like the strategic challenge of modern warfare (use of carriers, air force, subs, tactical nukes, etc) but every time I am in a good modern era the game justs ends.

I had disabled domination, diplo, science and cultural winning conditions, leaving just turn counter to end the game, but score counter is totally unfair with small empires.

What do you think?

Any ideas of how could I set the game in order to hace more fun in late game eras?

Zeke

Play on marathon or epic. I find the modern era or in Gods and Kings Modern through Information era where I spend most of the time.

Don't start in the Ancient era...

I suggest you begin in the Industrial era... that way you'll get exactly what you want!

I don't even look at my score. According to the very knowledgeable gamer, vexing, Civ 5 scores are calculated thusly:
cities * 8 +
people * 4 +
land * 1 +
wonders * 25 +
techs * 4 +
future tech * 10

this is for standard size, it may be modified to be higher on smaller maps

The practical effect of the scoring mechanic means that you will get a higher score for simply running amok and annexing/puppeting everyone in sight than you will for winning a One City Challenge with a Cultural Victory. While I have nothing against warmongering, it's not my usual mode of play. An OCC Cultural win is, for me, far more challenging to achieve than cranking out units and pummeling my neighbors.

cities * 8 +
people * 4 +
land * 1 +
wonders * 25 +
techs * 4 +
future tech * 10

this is for standard size, it may be modified to be higher on smaller maps

I didn´t know that. This will be usefull. I think that a culture modifier will be needed sooner or later in this calculations.

Zeke

I think all eras are too short, it feels running through the game.

Even playing on epic speed, it's not enough substance in any era to make it feel balanced. And I'm NOT trying Marathon again, it's soooo sloooow and doesn't make the eras feel better.

Have no idea how it could be dealt with? More techs wouldn't help, except maybe turns would take 25 years, instead of 50 in the beginning. Or something. I want to stay in Ancient forever, but I can't since the AI runs away from me! :lol:

And OP: "I am pretty warmonger"?

Aren't we all! :)

Well, after G+K I feel there is enough "substance" in all eras, and the new Modern Era is definitely longer :)

"Andulias" : It's better, but not ultimatelty better, as players play different pace and maps.

Myself, I feel it's "better", since I have more stuff to build, but still time goes too fast....Ingame time I mean!

Not talking about real time, my goodness, it's already Monday! It was Friday yesterday?

You need to make up your mind, It's better, but ultimately it's not better, but it actually is "better"... Whaaa?:dubious:

Even playing on epic speed, it's not enough substance in any era to make it feel balanced. And I'm NOT trying Marathon again, it's soooo sloooow and doesn't make the eras feel better.

Have no idea how it could be dealt with? More techs wouldn't help, except maybe turns would take 25 years, instead of 50 in the beginning. Or something. I want to stay in Ancient forever, but I can't since the AI runs away from me! :lol:

I agree with you in a certain way. I think eras must have much more techs.

That will "fill" civs, wars and diplomatic relations with techs, units and litlle advantages of certain civ that developed some techs carefully selected.

Greetings

Zeke

The problem with epic and marathon speeds is they increase research times, yes, but also build times. So you end up spending the same relative time in each era anyway, if research takes twice as long but so does building a unit, you'll still only pull out the same number of units in that era as you would at any speed. the only real difference is you can spend more turns maneuvering. I've said this issue since civ4... I don't understand why there isn't any option that retains production/build speed but lengthens tech research times.

In civ4 I actually went into the XML files and edited the research multipliers by map speed setting, to do exactly what I wanted. Except that brought to light a new issue - cities can't produce nothing. So I was spending 50-100% longer in ancient era, but could not produce research or wealth, was forced to keep building things like warriors, but was going negative from unit maintenance. I still don't get why we can't elect to have a city halt production entirely.

If I were any good at modding, I'd create something that you let you alter research times (Decrease, normal, Increase a little, Increase a lot) independently of production speed/time elapsing (which would be the quick normal epic mara) plus add a "Nothing" build option (like a unit with no stats and a few billion production cost)

The practical effect of the scoring mechanic means that you will get a higher score for simply running amok and annexing/puppeting everyone in sight than you will for winning a One City Challenge with a Cultural Victory. While I have nothing against warmongering, it's not my usual mode of play. An OCC Cultural win is, for me, far more challenging to achieve than cranking out units and pummeling my neighbors.

Hey, another cultural OCC lover out there! :D

Score is very deceiving for small-empire science empires and cultural empires, they might be much closer to victory than the others.

The problem with epic and marathon speeds is they increase research times, yes, but also build times. So you end up spending the same relative time in each era anyway, if research takes twice as long but so does building a unit, you'll still only pull out the same number of units in that era as you would at any speed. the only real difference is you can spend more turns maneuvering. I've said this issue since civ4... I don't understand why there isn't any option that retains production/build speed but lengthens tech research times.

In civ IV units were relatively cheaper on Marathon: their cost only doubled compared to triple tech times. I don't know if it is like this in Civ V too.

Top Bottom